U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2012, 08:50 AM

47 posts, read 59,654 times

Advertisements

Hello.. I wanna ask a SERIOUS question........

How many of you, are not just merely 'annoyed' by ads that pop up and blast some bad music or voice with the volume at "11".

I work in the internet biz, and I HONESTLY TRIED to tell them, screw the ads. But.. that's like saying, please, let's just make $2,000,000 less, and save humanity by not allowing this noise pollution into our homes.

So that didn't go quite as planned.

So...... knowing I TRIED, I mean.. I was in boardrooms, talking to execs, product managers, internet marketing, etc etc

Nobody listened to me?? Apparently, ads are too important I guess? Shoot, I didn't know that. Never used an ad to change my mind buyin something'... But that's just me

So, I am... well, I just BROKE a large glass cup, because I was watching a very "sentimental" video of personal significance, to be suddenly scared to death by I think Verizon 4G or something.

I threw my cup, broke the glass, cut myself.......

I just cannot deal with this.

It's insane. Only insane people will think of putting ads on videos and make them so loud and ... I mean... TV, I expect it..

I just.... don't know what to do anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 02:28 AM

1,494 posts, read 2,943,031 times
I will admit , it is aggravating , to say the least. Especially the popups , or when you intend to visit one site , and something totally different shows. Makes one not even wanna be bothered with the internet.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:35 AM

13,253 posts, read 37,835,456 times
I solve this without fanfare or emotional upset at all:
When I open my browser, I do it with the sound turned OFF.

There's nothing I want to hear, until I'm actually attempting to hear something. I read forums, I play text games, none of that involves sound at all.

When I -do- want to listen to something on the internet, I put on my headset, and turn the volume low. I open the site, and if it's an ad, it stays low til the ad is over. If it's the actual video, I turn the volume up to a comfortable level and listen - in comfort.

I have no idea what those ads are saying, or which music they're blasting, because - my sound is shut OFF during them.

I recommend you try the same thing, instead of risking life and limb over a little noise.

Old 08-12-2012, 01:50 AM

8,463 posts, read 10,143,039 times
Install an ad blocker. No more pop ups, or ads, at all. Browsing bliss.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:20 AM

9,948 posts, read 17,864,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I solve this without fanfare or emotional upset at all:
When I open my browser, I do it with the sound turned OFF.
I believe the OP was listening to something else when this happened. I've never had it happen to me though--they usually come on at the beginning of something I want to watch--not in the middle. And when they're that obnoxious I make it a point to not buy that product.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:58 PM

13,253 posts, read 37,835,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I believe the OP was listening to something else when this happened. I've never had it happen to me though--they usually come on at the beginning of something I want to watch--not in the middle. And when they're that obnoxious I make it a point to not buy that product.
Actually I've noticed that when I watched America's Next Top Model on the internet (since I wasn't able to watch it on its scheduled night on TV), it'd go to a Cover Girl commercial at a much higher volume than the show itself. I solved it pretty much the same way as I suggested:

When it's commercial time, turn the volume OFF. You can hit the mute button at any point during any video, and if you can't figure out where the mute button is, you can unplug your speaker from the computer, or your headset from the jack, or whatever other device you're using.

This isn't even remotely a big deal. It's not even a medium deal. It's a minor, petty irritation. A big deal would be, if they played those commercials at full volume at the only grocery store within 30 miles. THAT would be a big deal. This - is nothing.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:57 PM

9,948 posts, read 17,864,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IwalkLikeArabbit View Post
So, I am... well, I just BROKE a large glass cup, because I was watching a very "sentimental" video of personal significance, to be suddenly scared to death by I think Verizon 4G or something.

I threw my cup, broke the glass, cut myself.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
When it's commercial time, turn the volume OFF. You can hit the mute button at any point during any video, and if you can't figure out where the mute button is, you can unplug your speaker from the computer, or your headset from the jack, or whatever other device you're using.

This isn't even remotely a big deal. It's not even a medium deal. It's a minor, petty irritation. A big deal would be, if they played those commercials at full volume at the only grocery store within 30 miles. THAT would be a big deal. This - is nothing.
Anon dear, please read the OP. That would annoy the crap out of me too and I wouldn't be buying any verizon products for awhile after that. In the grand scheme of things is this really a big deal? No, but do we really only complain about the grand scheme stuff on here? Obviously not or there wouldn't be much of a CD.

I haven't had this exact thing happen to me like in the OP but I hate those really sentimental emails you get sometimes where you're getting a tear in your eye at the end and then it says that if you don't send it to your 25 closest friends in the next 10 minutes something horrible is going to happen to you. That really makes me mad and I hit delete as soon as I read these and I have to wonder how my perfectly intelligent friends fall for that stuff. If I do choose to send it on b/c I liked the story then I delete the chain mail crap at the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health