U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 04:32 PM

1,426 posts, read 1,994,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_steak View Post
It might be useful to the other readers to post what the signs/symptoms are of this disorder and why you think you have it.
Remember....they are avoiding it!

Truly though....this is from the Psychcentral website.... (Avoidant Personality Disorder - Psych Central)

Avoidant personality disorder is characterized by a long-standing pattern of feelings of inadequacy, extreme sensitivity to what other people think about them, and social inhibition. It typically manifests itself by early adulthood and includes a majority of the following symptoms:

Avoids occupational activities that involve significant interpersonal contact, because of fears of criticism, disapproval, or rejection
Is unwilling to get involved with people unless certain of being liked
Shows restraint within intimate relationships because of the fear of being shamed or ridiculed
Is preoccupied with being criticized or rejected in social situations
Is inhibited in new interpersonal situations because of feelings of inadequacy
Views themself as socially inept, personally unappealing, or inferior to others
Is unusually reluctant to take personal risks or to engage in any new activities because they may prove embarrassing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 03:36 PM

13,051 posts, read 16,091,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linden52 View Post
I think you have no idea what you're talking about. If you aren't willing to look up the disorder and find out something about it then why post about it? Anyting having to do with Avoidant Personality Disorder is not a new diagnosis. I don't know whether people with this diagnosis are routinely medicated these days but they didn't used to be. So, yes too much medication is given to people, in my opinion.
I think the same about you...it's just another fancy name, one of seven, added to the newest edition of Diagnostic mental disorders...I also don't believe it's a "mental disorder" to be shy, or a "depression" to be very sad and cry when someone close dies, or that it's a "disorder" just because someone doesn't like your personality....they'll medicate you for all those too...Won't be long before every human emotion will be catagorized in their ultimate book on "Mental Disorders"....

Old 03-16-2013, 11:57 AM

8,712 posts, read 10,292,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
So, if I want to avoid certain people, or situations,..would that be what they call "Avoidment attachment dis-order"?...Just a fancy name for a feeling that probably every normal person has experienced at one time or another....you only fit the "criteria" for it if you're willing to go for some of those good ole synthetic drugs.....as you can tell I agree with OhZone

I agree with the other person who said you have no idea what you're talking about. Clearly you didn't even bother to read the definition or symptoms of this disorder before ruminating about it. Just a popular as it is for people to claim to have various disorders it's just as popular for people to run off at the mouth about psychiatric medications and their validity. Both sides are tired and overdone.

Last time I checked 'avoidant personality disorder' doesn't affect socially 'normal' people who "avoid a few places at one time or another." You fit the criteria if you avoid damn near every place except your home on a daily basis to where it affects your ability to work, go to school and socialize with family/friends. That's hardly "one time or another." Educate yourself.

Old 03-16-2013, 02:06 PM

13,051 posts, read 16,091,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post

Last time I checked 'avoidant personality disorder' doesn't affect socially 'normal' people who "avoid a few places at one time or another." You fit the criteria if you avoid damn near every place except your home on a daily basis to where it affects your ability to work, go to school and socialize with family/friends. That's hardly "one time or another." Educate yourself.
I don't consider it a disorder...more a reaction to some kind of hurt...my apologies if I've come across as uncaring.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:11 PM

1,256 posts, read 3,067,987 times
Quote:
I agree with the other person who said you have no idea what you're talking about. Clearly you didn't even bother to read the definition or symptoms of this disorder before ruminating about it. Just a popular as it is for people to claim to have various disorders it's just as popular for people to run off at the mouth about psychiatric medications and their validity. Both sides are tired and overdone.

Very good point. If you read though the personality disorders in the DSM, it obvious that every human being experiences these traits, from time to time. Have you ever left your home, and wondered if you remembered to lock the front door? This is an obsessive-compulsive thought. Have you have taken a promotion at work, and not worried about the people who you had to step over to get the job? This is an Antisocial (r.g. sociopathic) trait. By this same token, everyone has mild forms of narcissism, borderline behavior, and even schizoid tendencies. Having thrse tendencies on an occasional basis is completely normal. However, if any of these tendencies are taken to an extreme, and if these traits cause problems with one's ability to function as a human being, pretty much every day of their life, then it can probably be classified as a disorder. Treatment may then be necessary.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
I don't consider it a disorder...more a reaction to some kind of hurt...my apologies if I've come across as uncaring.

Whether you consider it a disorder or not is irrelevant, as far as I'm concerned. I could say I don't consider cancer a disease but that doesn't mean anything. There are a lot of people with zero medical background and training running around claiming this is not 'legitimate' and that is not 'legitimate' based on their own personal opinions. Somebody's personal opinion shouldn't be enough to negate other people's disorders/diseases yet that is what happens on here a lot and IRL as well.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToucheGA View Post
Very good point. If you read though the personality disorders in the DSM, it obvious that every human being experiences these traits, from time to time. Have you ever left your home, and wondered if you remembered to lock the front door? This is an obsessive-compulsive thought. Have you have taken a promotion at work, and not worried about the people who you had to step over to get the job? This is an Antisocial (r.g. sociopathic) trait. By this same token, everyone has mild forms of narcissism, borderline behavior, and even schizoid tendencies. Having thrse tendencies on an occasional basis is completely normal. However, if any of these tendencies are taken to an extreme, and if these traits cause problems with one's ability to function as a human being, pretty much every day of their life, then it can probably be classified as a disorder. Treatment may then be necessary.

Exactly. If one were to read through the DSM, average adult probably fits the criteria for many disorders since they've had a symptom at one time or another. As you said it's not about fitting the criteria as much as it is these things completely overtaking your life and ability to function.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:16 PM

1,256 posts, read 3,067,987 times
Quote:
Exactly. If one were to read through the DSM, average adult probably fits the criteria for many disorders since they've had a symptom at one time or another. As you said it's not about fitting the criteria as much as it is these things completely overtaking your life and ability to function.
My point, exactly. If the criteria were the only factor, than one could simply look up his/her symptoms on Wikipedia, diagnose themselves, and order the medication from Amazon.com.

Diagnosing mental illness is an extremely complex and time consuming process that requires a great deal of expertise. Most federal/state laws, and insurance company polices prohibit mental health professionals from forming a diagnosis unless they possess (at a minimum) a Masters degree in counseling or social work, and a clinical license to practice counseling in their State. Some insurance companies and laws go even further, and require that the practitioner have at least a PhD in Psychology, or an MD (along with a valid license, of course.) Many of these professionals will see a patient, face to face, over several sessions before a final diagnosis is made. The upcoming DSM 5 will encourage these exports to take their time (up to 6 months, in some cases) before developing a diagnosis. This is a stark contrast to people who try to diagnose themselves, or others via. an internet forum.

If you feel you might have a mental illness, you might be right. Or perhaps not. Go to an expert to see if this is indeed the case, and do not expect a solid answer until late Spring, or early Summer.

Old 03-19-2013, 06:23 PM

171 posts, read 475,557 times
Quote:
...it's just another fancy name, one of seven, added to the newest edition of Diagnostic mental disorders..."....
No this diagnosis has NOT just been added to the newest edition of the DSM. This diagnosis has been around for decades (since 1980 -- DSM-III)! When you write things like that you lose what little credibility you may have.

Last edited by linden52; 03-19-2013 at 06:24 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-01-2013, 09:16 PM
'M'

1,818 posts, read 2,688,124 times
I read the link to Avoidant Personality Disorder. I was stuck by the similarity to an adult with Asperger's Syndrome. Just another possibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health