Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 08:03 AM

1,030 posts, read 3,079,383 times

Advertisements

Not sure if this has been touched on in here but I do a LOT of Internet searching for "what's wrong with me" and attachment disorders come up and specifically Avoidant Attachment. Anyone familiar with it as it so sounds like me and I fit all the criteria for it.....

Thanks.. ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 09:45 PM

1 posts, read 2,743 times
Default Have You Tried Reading This?

Avoidant personality disorder - children, causes, DSM, functioning, therapy, adults, withdrawal, people

I strongly suspect I have this problem too. But I think there's hope for it. Good luck, I hope things improve for you!

Old 06-26-2012, 10:43 PM

1,289 posts, read 3,035,849 times
It might be useful to the other readers to post what the signs/symptoms are of this disorder and why you think you have it.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:22 PM

745 posts, read 1,648,851 times
Have you ever noticed that lately there seems to be a medical diagnosis for every behavior, and usually a pill to correct it?
According to this we are all sick with one or another of these new "disorders".

Keep in mind that big Pharma makes billions$$$ on every pill he sells.
He has found that the more "disorders" he can come up with the richer he gets.
He has experts writing up all this propaganda for the gullible.

Don't go for it!
Get a life. Take up a hobby. Join a social club.
Accentuate the Positive.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:42 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhZone View Post
Have you ever noticed that lately there seems to be a medical diagnosis for every behavior, and usually a pill to correct it?
According to this we are all sick with one or another of these new "disorders".

Keep in mind that big Pharma makes billions$$$ on every pill he sells.
He has found that the more "disorders" he can come up with the richer he gets.
He has experts writing up all this propaganda for the gullible.

Don't go for it!
Get a life. Take up a hobby. Join a social club.
Accentuate the Positive.
Yes, I have noticed. I can't believe that so many are medicated to make it through the day. While there are some conditions out there that require medication, probably 90% do not. If you are miserable and depressed, changes need to be made. Hate your job? Take a pill and you won't care or maybe get another job, get some training, join the military..............Can't stand your spouse? Take a pill. Shy? Take a pill. Can't sleep because you get no exercise during the stand so really aren't sleepy? Take a pill. Your sister is more successful than you are? Take a pill. And, a lot of the medications are addictive so expect to continue to take them not to mention that they can have side effects and you have to be "weaned" off of them because of the addiction.

I acknowledge a need for medication but they pass them out at the doctor's office like my doctor passed out Dum-Dums from the Dum Dum tree when I was a kid! Hey, they both put a smile on your face for as long as they last but the Dum Dum didn't send me into withdrawal!

Don't escape. Make the changes needed to go on to have a life!

Old 07-06-2012, 12:58 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
So, if I want to avoid certain people, or situations,..would that be what they call "Avoidment attachment dis-order"?...Just a fancy name for a feeling that probably every normal person has experienced at one time or another....you only fit the "criteria" for it if you're willing to go for some of those good ole synthetic drugs.....as you can tell I agree with OhZone

Old 07-06-2012, 08:07 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,548,617 times
I agree that we tend to overmedicate. Maybe we even over "label" at times. But I believe that sometimes it is helpful to identify disorders, so that one might find effective non-medicating ways to overcome or manage some of these things. And of course, in SOME cased medication may be a good option.

I advise trying the options that don't include medication first, but if those things don't work, then don't completely rule out the possiblity of medicating.

One solution may not work for every person.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:46 AM

130 posts, read 275,357 times
Spring is around the corner and you will be just fine.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:02 PM

171 posts, read 530,646 times
I think you have no idea what you're talking about. If you aren't willing to look up the disorder and find out something about it then why post about it? Anyting having to do with Avoidant Personality Disorder is not a new diagnosis. I don't know whether people with this diagnosis are routinely medicated these days but they didn't used to be. So, yes too much medication is given to people, in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
So, if I want to avoid certain people, or situations,..would that be what they call "Avoidment attachment dis-order"?...Just a fancy name for a feeling that probably every normal person has experienced at one time or another....you only fit the "criteria" for it if you're willing to go for some of those good ole synthetic drugs.....as you can tell I agree with OhZone

Old 03-14-2013, 01:27 PM

1,265 posts, read 3,462,062 times
In the mental health sector, the term "disorder" generally refers to a problem that severely hinders one's ability to function, as a human being. If the symptoms you are experiencing happen on a daily basis, and they prevent you from working, attending school, maintain relationships with others, etc., then it may be a disorder.

It is impossible to determine of you have this, or any other disorder, unless you share more details, in person, with a qualified mental health professional. If you symptoms are not bad enough to warrant professional help, then it's likely that you do not have a "disorder."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health