Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2012, 09:38 AM

63 posts, read 120,888 times

Advertisements

A World Happiness Report was issued by the Columbia University’s Earth Institute commissioned by the United Nations Conference on Happiness.

We can see that not only wealth and good job securities are crucial for the people in order for them to be truly happy, but also various aspects as the political freedom.

From which country do you come? Do you feel happy? What would you like to change so you would feel truly happy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 10:06 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,687,072 times
From America and Im not happy . That's of course because I'm not financial secure or have a job .

Old 06-18-2012, 10:44 AM

2,615 posts, read 5,399,438 times
I think that the happiest countries are the first world democracies in which there is a degree of income equality (strong middle class) and equal opportunity. Societies where you are generally free to be yourself also tend to rate highly in terms of happiness. Dog eat dog societies are generally not as happy, though people tend to try to fill the void with material rubbish a lot more.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:46 AM

1,233 posts, read 1,782,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richlord11 View Post
A World Happiness Report was issued by the Columbia University’s Earth Institute commissioned by the United Nations Conference on Happiness.

We can see that not only wealth and good job securities are crucial for the people in order for them to be truly happy, but also various aspects as the political freedom.

From which country do you come? Do you feel happy? What would you like to change so you would feel truly happy?

I'm in America and I'm not happy. This society has become so conformist. It's like a big high school clique! You are either in or you are out. Guess which side of the fence I'm on?
There is no room for higher thought, for philosophy, for art, for poetry, for beauty. Something is only beautiful if it has a high price tag. EVERYTHING is connected to money, money, money and it's "me, me, me" 24/7.
America is now a wasteland of consumption and positioning yourself to be the best consumer possible and worrying that your life looks "great" to other people.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:19 AM

47 posts, read 67,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VX5650 View Post
I'm in America and I'm not happy. This society has become so conformist. It's like a big high school clique! You are either in or you are out. Guess which side of the fence I'm on?
There is no room for higher thought, for philosophy, for art, for poetry, for beauty. Something is only beautiful if it has a high price tag. EVERYTHING is connected to money, money, money and it's "me, me, me" 24/7.
America is now a wasteland of consumption and positioning yourself to be the best consumer possible and worrying that your life looks "great" to other people.
Yeah but there's a reason America is like this. What is the very opposite of what you just wrote?

higher thought... well, historically, you had people like Edison or Mozart or even Bill Gates.

But, think about it. Seriously think about it.

Think about the fact that, those men are all not only higher "thought" but higher class.

When you get too many, the class wars begin. The low class will fight. But this time, in the 21st century, they will win.

Because there are way more low than high. I correct, there are way more who are CONNECTED and understand what is going on. Prior to the internet, you did not have that. Look at what happened in Egypt so you see how the internet finally is able to allow people to sort of, no longer be isolated like before. So, is THAT what you are really implying, not that we are conformist, rather, we are in FEAR of class war. And that, historically, class wars ALWAYS were won by the high class because t hey had weapons, knowledge, skills, etc.

But now, it's not a guaranteed win.

That FEAR is what causes, well, conformist lol.

So, the question should read: Is the World Not Afraid anymore?

9/11 scared the bejeesus out of us.... We're only getting over it "now" - me thinks.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:41 AM

1,233 posts, read 1,782,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IwalkLikeArabbit View Post

So, is THAT what you are really implying, not that we are conformist, rather, we are in FEAR of class war. And that, historically, class wars ALWAYS were won by the high class because t hey had weapons, knowledge, skills, etc.
Gawd no! You are giving people WAY too much credit. The average American is not that smart. Many Americans like to fool themselves that the are in the upper class when they clearly are not.
I'm implying that Americans are conformists because they have not matured past high school mentality. They are still in the "popularity contest." Only now it has spread to the workplace, politics, dating/marriage/family, media, pretty much everything. Why do you think that Facebook is so popular? It's now an Andy Warhol "15 minutes of fame" world.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:19 AM

63 posts, read 120,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IwalkLikeArabbit View Post
Because there are way more low than high. I correct, there are way more who are CONNECTED and understand what is going on. Prior to the internet, you did not have that. Look at what happened in Egypt so you see how the internet finally is able to allow people to sort of, no longer be isolated like before. So, is THAT what you are really implying, not that we are conformist, rather, we are in FEAR of class war. And that, historically, class wars ALWAYS were won by the high class because t hey had weapons, knowledge, skills, etc.
Isn't the high class the group who is fearing about the possible outcomes of such struggle, so they are trying to mask these problems and they give people such "toys" that brings conformity into their lives and do not allow them to "mature past the high school mentality" ?

Old 06-27-2012, 04:06 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,657,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
From America and Im not happy . That's of course because I'm not financial secure or have a job .
^ this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health