U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 04:27 PM

203 posts, read 444,406 times

Advertisements

Interesting post above.

Ummm..if you read my first post I noted that I am 46 years old. Medication has saved my life. I used to be an alcoholic, cutter, was unable to leave my own home for over a year.

I now work full time, have my own place, can drive and am a fully functioning person of this society. I do believe your experiences are valid..but unless there is an official diagnosis no one should be given a "pill".

Bipolar IS manic-depressive. Up, down, Up, down. My meds even me out most of the time. Not all the time.

Thanks for your post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 04:48 PM

I'm sorry.."chemically dismal in the head" has been making me giggle ever since I read that. No disrespect intended, just sounds so funny.

I think that's going to be my new mantra LMAO!

Old 06-27-2012, 05:19 PM

14,545 posts, read 18,210,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
If you are young and not chemically dismal in the head- and not really mentally ill with this bi-polar thing...and I believe the old name was manic depression..for this so-called disorder- and you go on medication- if you are not mentally sick the chemicals may induce sickness.

I had a nephew who's father - my older brother was a chemist..He believed in modern science..His son took all sort of strange designer drugs..some not even on the list of controlled substances....His father swore the kid was mentally ill because the grand mother on the wife's side of the family was quite batty...so much so that she over the years drove her husband who was a 75 year old dairy farmer...The old farmer would hide from his wife- worked 20 hours a day to avoid her...Finally he went on medication...a few months later he was found in the garage hanging from a rafter.

The wife of the farmer continued on with her medication- a bottle of brandy a day..and she was into her eighties when she passed....Getting back to my nephew.

I do not believe he was bi-polar...We would sit and talk on the porch when I visited..He was very bright and kind of wild..but not mentally ill in my opinion...Then after our long chat he would go in the house and take his "pill". The conversation then took on a new tone- as if he was slow minded and stupid....This young man finally cut his wrists with a lot of drama..wandered off into the woods after filling the house with blood...attempted to make his way back- but laid down and froze to death...

I don't have a lot of faith in chemicals that are supposed to control odd behavior. NOW -suddenly my older brothers surviving son has been labeled bi-polar..and they have him drugged up...He is a university student and a very creative producer of great music...Bi-polar was manic depression at one time...and the old definition of dynamic mood swings was called - being an ARTIST. Most of the great artists through history had this so-called dis-order..but there is no place in a compliant society for these types- so we tell them they are nuts and drug them..

Good luck on your situation regarding your mental health...all I have seen were two suicides - and both of them were people on medication.

It makes you wonder about some profit making compounds that warn-"may cause ideas of suicide" -what the hell is that about? Take this pill and it will heal you but it might- make you murder yourself?
In some ways I agree. Meds are over prescribed, and very insufficently followed. Commonly mental health care is through the county as a default, and you get a good five minuts, sometimes even ten, with a doctor every three months. This doesn't work since it has to be monitored and revised as needed. The problems of excessive medication come from this, not necessarily the meds. Systems are not designed to carry the load of patients so to make sure patients can make it they give high enough doses they don't have to see them weekly and have a call number. Blame the system, not the pills.

I no longer take them, but took myself off them myself and argued with the doctor a lot. But what I did was find a way to get out of the place where mood swings were triggers so frequently. And reduce stress. And work out a few things. And yes, I *still* have mood swings, but they are not so large and much less often. And when I get up knowing its a bad day and I'm going to make it a quiet one I do. The bp has not gone away, its just managed differently. And I got away from the triggers.

Medication however was important when I was first diagnosed. I needed that 'clear' space. But we make the mistake of thinking of it as an always med. For some it is, but maybe it can be modified. And lifestyle has to be addressed. And there has to be someone to deal with the issues with the patient who will continue to be there. Family and parents are often not the right ones for that role.

Yes, people have committed sucide, sometimes since the meds were too much, side effect, the effect wore off or it just quit working. Or it never did and they picked a time. Each case is different.

You can't *blanket* blame one thing, be it the system, the pharma profit motive, the lack of supervision, and so forth. It's all of it. And in some cases almost none of it. Generalizing does not help anyone.

What does harm is denying that bipolar disease exists and that for *some* it is sufficently severe that it leads to sucide. That in many who didn't get diagnosed for a long time it badly effected their life and decisions without them really understanding why. Knowledge is power. Sometimes its a bad day and you know your perceptions are skewed. That day is one you should not make major decisions. It just gives amunition to those who insist we're all just lazy and pretending. I'm very sorry about your nephew and hope his brother gets support not only to get past the problems he has but to live the life he loves and was made for.

My 'diagnosis' is not who I am. But the ways it effects me give me gifts and trials and I am lucky that I'm so stubborn and onrey that I looked out for myself. But I would not be any other way now that I know how to use those things for the good, rather than to run away.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:28 PM

18,847 posts, read 32,734,693 times
My question...why would you ever disclose your information about being bi polar to people you work with? Or maybe she is just talking about it, and did not know you are bi-polar? In which case, it should not offend you...just don't listen. I do think though, you have a substance abuse issue...most people don't just "pop in Xanex"...that is a problem.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:23 AM

33,068 posts, read 61,890,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoptstrays View Post
I'm sorry.."chemically dismal in the head" has been making me giggle ever since I read that. No disrespect intended, just sounds so funny.

I think that's going to be my new mantra LMAO!
LOL, good for you!

I feel that way when I've taken too much antihistamine ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I do think though, you have a substance abuse issue...most people don't just "pop in Xanex"...that is a problem.
Benzodiazepines like Xanax and Ativan can be prescribed for bipolar patients who have anxiety issues, to use when needed. Not everyone will become addicted to them.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:38 AM

18,847 posts, read 32,734,693 times
True, but psychological addiction, can be just as bad for someone as physical addiction. Learning how to cope with stress can be better than "popping a pill".

Old 06-28-2012, 12:55 PM

lol..OP here. What an interesting assumption jasper12. I do not have a substance abuse issue. I have them to use as needed, which as I stated in my OP, if I feel a manic episode coming on I take one, AS PRESCRIBED by my doctor. Just one. ONCE.
Good lord..I have friends who take up to 20 a day and I mention I "pop" one when I feel a manic episode coming on and boom I'm an addict.
A manic stage is umm..NOT STRESS. It's a chemical imbalance that I strive to keep in check. Are you bipolar?
Before you assume, ASK?

Old 06-28-2012, 01:11 PM

33,068 posts, read 61,890,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Learning how to cope with stress can be better than "popping a pill".
I don't know how much you know about bipolar disorder (my late husband was bipolar), but it's common knowledge that sometimes, even for the most stable of people with this disease, stress cannot be "coped" with in any way other than through medication. Learning ways to cope with stress can, at times, reduce the need for medication but not replace it.

Old 06-28-2012, 01:19 PM

Exactly. Taking one Xanax helps me to not start chattering incessantly to my coworkers and telling them stupid things like I'm bipolar.

Old 06-28-2012, 01:34 PM

13,515 posts, read 14,941,260 times
[quote=Adoptstrays;24925363]...I fired back, ok what if she had said I hate all really fat people, I don't understand how they got that way and I hope they all just die. Supervisor said well, that is different....quote]

No, your supervisor got cold feet.

However, you have probably made the best decision in the present situation. Congratulations on it, and I hope things won't get to this level again at work.

Last edited by kevxu; 06-28-2012 at 01:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health