U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 02:08 PM

203 posts, read 444,406 times

Advertisements

thank you for your support
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 06:13 PM

60,980 posts, read 58,245,758 times
I think you should consider that the woman was probably stressed to the gills with trying to deal with her son. Just as you want people to understand and accept the dynamics of your illness, you have to understand and accept the dynamics of what it's like for people on the receiving end of people's behavior who suffer from this illness (or others). It's not like "Well, golly oh gee, he/she is just BIPOLAR, so I'm not going to feel what I feel when they do XYZ to me because of their illness. I'm gonna just UNDERSTAND." It doesn't work that way. It can be very, very stressful to be walking on eggshells all the time trying to "understand" someone's bad behavior that affects you as just a lil' ol' symptom of an illness. She was angry, and she was angry because someone had done something that wronged her.

Now with that said, your coworker was way out of line in what she said about all bipolar people. She was angry with her SON, and that should not extend to YOU. She owes you an apology, in my opinion. I know, I have done this with hating all alcoholics because of what my alcoholic husband did to me, and it was wrong. You are within your perfect rights to keep that door shut, but if you have to work with this woman and you come to a point where you feel you want some resolution and the moment is right, you might want to let her know how her slamming of all bipolar people made you feel. Just at least acknowledge that her outburst was about how SHE was feeling and really had zippo to do with you.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:34 PM

970 posts, read 1,899,288 times
It sounds like she is stressed out over her son. What she said was inappropriate, but it's not worth running to a higher up over it. I am bipolar too (although no one at work knows). Occasionally people make a mean comment or two about bipolar people, and usually I mention that there are plenty of bipolar people out there who live productive lives. People always amend their statements or shut up.

That is common with most people who rant about any group of peole. If someone politely disagrees with them over a generalization, they usually re-think what they say. If they don't re-think it they are probably not the kind of person I want to cross paths with anyway, and it doesn't really matter what they are talking about.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:19 AM

5 posts, read 6,219 times
Default Umm maybe she is bipolar! And xanax worst thing for bipolar/klonapen better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoptstrays View Post
Hi..I am bipolar and have been since I was a kid. I am now 46, female. I take my meds religiously but still have manic/depressive episodes that no med can manage.

When I feel a manic state coming on I pop a Xanax and put my earbuds on at work so I can relax..

I've been at the same job for 7 years. The lady in the cube next to me and I have become (what I thought) somewhat good friends, mostly because I had to in order to tolerate working right next to her 9 hours a day, 5 days a week.

She has an adult son who is bipolar and she complains often about him. She comes to me with questions as he is newly diagnosed. She is old school..and has a loud mouth..she's brash, not a lot of empathy for other people, doesn't understand nor does she really care to understand about mental illness..

Our supervisor also has her office in our quad of cubes. This morning my "friend" was going on and on about her loser son. Loudly. At one point she announced to the entire office that she hated manic depressives, didn't understand them, they need to get over themselves or just die. I felt like I had been slapped in the face, literally. I felt the heat creeping up and my neck got hot. See, this is a small office and most of my friends here know about me..I saw shock on some of their faces..

I walked away from my desk to gather my composure.

My question regards the following: I complained to my supervisor how offended I was over that comment and how I felt. At first she was understanding and said she would talk to friend. About two hours later I received an email from her stating that she has thought about it and did not feel it was a work related issue and that I needed to take it up with friend/coworker.

I fired back, ok what if she had said I hate all really fat people, I don't understand how they got that way and I hope they all just die. Supervisor said well, that is different.

Am I over-reacting? Or is this woman and supervisor creating a hostile work environment? I need advice because I'm thinking of taking it up the chain. If I'm wrong, I need to know I'm wrong. Sometimes I do have trouble seeing reality and need to step back. This post is my way of stepping back. Hope to receive some advice.
thanks.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:28 AM

Hi! Wow! Sounds to me like maybe this woman is bipolar! Think about it! Also, not to be mean or anything, but it was always my understanding that xanax is the worst thing for bipolar. If you read the side effects, "manic reaction" I was on xanax for many many years and one time i ran out, and oh man! did i ever get messed up with withdraw syndrome! It was literally a nightmare. I wont go into the details, only my husband finally drove me 50 miles to my doctor. She changed me from xanax to klonapen. She also told me that i could have died from having the seizures! Woah! Wasnt a pleasant ride at all! The klonapen, ive been on again now for about 8 years. Been through that mess of running out to soon and going through withdraw! It is bad, but NOTHING like xanax. Also, if you read about the uses of klonepen, one of them is for bipolar, you wont see that anywhere in xanax. Hey! Dont get me wrong! I loved those cute little immediate relief pills! Just trying to help, and not come off as a know it all person! lol! Dont let that woman get to you, if you can! If she's having hateful outbursts like that and wishing people to die, i think she's got problems to. Maybe you should slip her one in her soda! lol! Take care!

Old 07-23-2012, 03:43 AM

Default Lamactil For Bipolar

Hmm! Im reading a lot on here about using benzo's for bipolar. Hey cool i say! But! I know someone dear to me, that takes Lamactil for her bipolar. She says it works great for her. She always told me she could feel when a manic episode was about to rear its head. She's very aware of it and stays on her Lamactil. I have a question about myself! What is it in lamens terms pressured speech? Reason i am asking is because i have social phobia, when i get around people, i feel as if i HAVE to talk! And i will talk fast! I cant help it! Shoot, i am 55 now and i dont know crap from wild honey about myself, other than someone in my family got mad at me, and told me they had been studying borderline personality for years just to cope with me!!! I was devastated!! In reading about this disorder, it seems it is a teen thing really and one outgrows it. It is called black and white thinking! Love/Hate thing! Well, If ole Sigmund was still around, i just bet he would say that "all" people have that love/hate thing in them to an extent! Gosh! Dern! Man! I am told i am a funny as all ****person! And, also when i get mad about something, if i was filmed and watched how i acted i would die, it was that bad. This is recent stuff told to me by my family! I pray to God for him to help me help myself be in better control of my emotions! I dont know, it is hard just sitting here typing in cyber space. Very superficial, you know what i mean! I am always self defeating and was always an under achiever. I always felt i actually have adult adhd. I used to do the meth years and years ago, ok! being honest here. That stuff made me focused! Wonder what i am! really! Do i sound quacky in my writing? Just be honest with me ok! Hugs to everyone!

Old 07-23-2012, 10:36 AM

4,762 posts, read 11,671,942 times
So far as your supervisor, many times these people have their "hands tied". They can't say or do things due to legal reasons.

And many times before they take any sort of action, they need to consult with their bosses. Those bosses will consult with the lawyer and the answer many times will be NO!

Companies have been sued for hundreds of thousands of dollars over these things, so they are scared to death about doing ANYTHING which could cause them a potential lawsuit.

Anyway it sounds to me like your supervisor wanted to do the right thing, but was told not to by someone higher up. (Get mad at the lawyers!)

Old 07-23-2012, 03:55 PM

14,545 posts, read 18,210,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borderlinebabe55 View Post
Hmm! Im reading a lot on here about using benzo's for bipolar. Hey cool i say! But! I know someone dear to me, that takes Lamactil for her bipolar. She says it works great for her. She always told me she could feel when a manic episode was about to rear its head. She's very aware of it and stays on her Lamactil. I have a question about myself! What is it in lamens terms pressured speech? Reason i am asking is because i have social phobia, when i get around people, i feel as if i HAVE to talk! And i will talk fast! I cant help it! Shoot, i am 55 now and i dont know crap from wild honey about myself, other than someone in my family got mad at me, and told me they had been studying borderline personality for years just to cope with me!!! I was devastated!! In reading about this disorder, it seems it is a teen thing really and one outgrows it. It is called black and white thinking! Love/Hate thing! Well, If ole Sigmund was still around, i just bet he would say that "all" people have that love/hate thing in them to an extent! Gosh! Dern! Man! I am told i am a funny as all ****person! And, also when i get mad about something, if i was filmed and watched how i acted i would die, it was that bad. This is recent stuff told to me by my family! I pray to God for him to help me help myself be in better control of my emotions! I dont know, it is hard just sitting here typing in cyber space. Very superficial, you know what i mean! I am always self defeating and was always an under achiever. I always felt i actually have adult adhd. I used to do the meth years and years ago, ok! being honest here. That stuff made me focused! Wonder what i am! really! Do i sound quacky in my writing? Just be honest with me ok! Hugs to everyone!
Pressured speech is when the words are coming so fast you can't pause between words, just fire them out as quick as you can. You become animated, involved in what your saying. But three is a *need*. The mind is working quick, like its on a race to a target which never gets any closer so you keep going faster and faster. It's a feature of mania, as well as never being still and hoppping and skipping all over the place since you can't hold the thought too long.

I was on lamictal, and took myself off due to side effects which I can't tolerate. But I also removed myself from most of the triggers so the moodshifts are small now. Lamictal is also a stimulant and you can end up in a permenant state of hypomania and hardly any sleep. It MUST be properly monitored by a doctor who actually does the job and doesn't had you the perscription he'd already written out when you arrived. I kind of miss the hypo, but love the regular 8 hours and the lack of food cravings.

A warning with lamictal. A BIG RED FLAG warning. Get your liver tested every six months. If the pdoc doesn't do it have your medical doctor do the blood test. That's how I discovered there was liver damage, medical doctor, and the pdoc just blew it off. Also why I would rather keep the cycling within tolerable constraints with my personal behavior mod clues, and not further damage myself.

Also, the sun sensitivity when you quit taking it may not go away. Mine didn't. Be careful to not expose yourself to mid day sun or your skin will break out in an itchy rash. Not to be confused with "THE RASH" which they warn you about as its toxic to some.

An ex housemate of mine had used meth for years, given her by her dealer on the side husband. When she stopped, she started to exibit the teltale signs of bipolar behavior and was diagnosed. Its a commonly used street 'treatment' for BP. Last I saw of her she was on a bus looking horrible, having gone back to the meth. Not the real drug of choice.

An old friend of mine was origionally diagnosed with ADHD, and had is diagnosis changed to bipolar so the symptems are similar.

And your post was beautifully descriptive of BP. Have you ever had anyone give you a diagnosis?

Last edited by nightbird47; 07-23-2012 at 04:10 PM..

Old 07-25-2012, 06:53 AM

4,103 posts, read 6,228,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
My question...why would you ever disclose your information about being bi polar to people you work with? Or maybe she is just talking about it, and did not know you are bi-polar? In which case, it should not offend you...just don't listen. I do think though, you have a substance abuse issue...most people don't just "pop in Xanex"...that is a problem.
I have to say that I strongly disagree with the bolded part. I take Xanax. I have anxiety issues. I'm on the lowest dose and I don't take it everyday as I do not have anxiety everyday but when it rears it's ugly head it is crippling. My script lasts me on an average of 6 months. 30 pills for 6 months, that's hardly substance abuse. My doctor was very clear with me and told me that I needed to be careful because they can be addicting. I don't have time for addiction but I do need help getting through my anxiety when it comes. I do my best to work through my stress through diet, exercise and meditation but it's not always enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health