U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2012, 11:19 AM

326 posts, read 853,019 times

Advertisements

I honestly wasn't being sarcastic even though if you knew me personally you would most certainly think I would be so I get how my question may have come across. I believe if people don't want to live then they shouldn't have to. I'm very much a believer in personal freedoms and choices as long as you aren't hurting anyone else.

I'm also not going to pretend to have any answers. I'm genuinely curious as to how people perceive their lives and choices.

My family is not very close at all. In proximity or relationship. I've seriously thought about what I would do if I lost my husband as he's really my only true friend in the world as well as my business partner without whom I would be out of business. I like to think I would go somewhere rural to semi-rural and learn about being self sufficient. I dream of someday being able to live in a farm like setting (preferably with my husband) and providing our own food. It would also provide enough hard work that I would be too tired to think about how disappointed I've become with humanity.

I really do think I kind of get what you're going through even though my life and circumstances are different than yours. The thought of starting from the beginning is overwhelming.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:21 AM

326 posts, read 853,019 times
Oh, and by the way, I've got "Quiet" ordered and expecting it in the mail on Thursday or Friday. Thank you for the recommendation.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:27 AM

5,364 posts, read 4,737,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ForTheSea View Post
Oh, and by the way, I've got "Quiet" ordered and expecting it in the mail on Thursday or Friday. Thank you for the recommendation.
You're welcome! If you're like me, you won't be able to put it down. I need money, I should get a commission from the author. LOL

Old 07-10-2012, 08:21 PM

9,957 posts, read 16,571,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VX5650 View Post
I'm getting there quickly. I care a bit less each day. Life just seems to nurture some people along and others it leaves them out in the cold. After a few decades of that you become numb.
At least you have your work. I don't even have that as I'm unemployed[gasp!] and my prospects look dim to say the least. I can't see myself ever getting married or having my own home[double gasp!] and having a family of my own[pffft] not going to happen. For whatever reason I am not allowed to have the basic things of life that 99 percent of the population seems to have no problem achieving. It's not even a thought for most people. It all just flows along for them.
As hard as I try I alway end up back at square one. The doors get slammed in my face. I've tried the positive thinking, attitude change thing and it made zero difference. And most of the people I have met with sucessful careers and homes and families don't seem all that positive to me or like they have great attitudes so I'm a bit tired of people telling me to "think positive" and the rainbows and unicorns will magically appear!
So I guess my question is, why care? It doesn't seem to matter if I'm positive or negative, work hard or lazy, friendly or mean, everything just seems to stay the same or get worse.

Why don't you and Big D get together? Two negatives make a positive!

Old 07-11-2012, 01:36 AM

31,519 posts, read 34,785,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchNsniff View Post
I used to like music, I used to really want to play music, write poetry, write stories, be creative. Life just beat it out of me. I found myself looking at this youtube video of this 6 year old drummer who was really really good. He was SIX YEARS OLD. I'm like, what's the point of trying any more, I can't compete with 6 year old prodigies. I find myself saying that a lot about other things too. What's the point of caring if a 6 yr old can come in and do a better job? At 6, I was playing in my backyard trying to swat as many flies as I could on the sidewalk.
Just remember there aren't that many 6 year old music prodigies and a heck of alot of demand for musicians. Plus those kids can't play shows past their bedtimes .

Old 07-11-2012, 02:00 AM

18,590 posts, read 22,416,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claud605 View Post
What does everyone think of the idea that it's just getting older that makes you stop caring? Was discussing this with a friend yesterday... is a lot of it just being in your mid-40s???
I once read that one of the biggest high's you can get in life is from feeling needed. I have an unemployed roommate that needs me, so I get a few high's from that, cooking, sharing my food, buying him things he can't afford. And I acquired a pet, and he needs me. My closest relative is 1600 miles away, I'm all alone in a city where those that move here are addicted to distractions, having fun. Displaying any serious-mindedness, moodiness or intensity in this city will have you sticking out like a sore thumb!

I'm 62, and my not caring about anything revolves around health issues, at this point in my life. I absolutely refuse to have an MRI/Cat Scan, too terrified of the results, and what I'd do if I was told I had the beginning stage of anything! That would do it! Over the embankment I'd go! I was told, over a year ago, a Dr. suspected (not confirmed) I have COPD. And even without the confirmation, my caring level has declined.

Add to that, is just reading the newspaper everyday, reading between the lines and reading the "wrong books". Reading about what's happening in Europe today, knowing full well that's all headed to our shores one day, also does little to motivate me to be more caring. It all seems so hopeless!!

Old 07-11-2012, 02:34 AM

20,016 posts, read 21,600,237 times
I'll try again. Here are 38 reasons to feel better about yourself:

38 Reasons Why You Should Feel Better About Yourself

Old 07-11-2012, 11:18 AM

24,576 posts, read 34,285,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I'll try again. Here are 38 reasons to feel better about yourself:

38 Reasons Why You Should Feel Better About Yourself
Some of those were pretty funny and put a smile on my face; thank you for sharing it.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:41 AM

2,727 posts, read 5,505,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VX5650 View Post
I would say that at this point I am 80% dead inside. There are still those tiny shoots of hope that spring up occasionally but they get trampled back down pretty quickly.
As far back as I can remember life has been telling me, and showing me, that I don't fit into this world. Every time I have grabbed for something and thought that I had found something good, life has smacked it out of my hands and said "you can't have that"! And then some a**hole comes along and says "you have to fight harder for it"! I'm tired of fighting! I'm also tired of being around mean and critical people who NEVER look at their own faults. It must be nice to be as mean and critical as you please and never think twice about how it affects others.

Yup, this is me and I feel the same way. Everything something good comes my way, something happens to take it away from me.

Old 07-11-2012, 01:45 PM

838 posts, read 1,069,370 times
The problem isn't that the folks on here stopped caring...it is that we care too much! We can see that we would like life to be better, but we can not control what happens to us or around us. We are living in some hopeless times, economically, spiritually, emotionally, etc.

We can be like some folks who never "think", or incapable of higher thinking and therefore are never sad about our situation or the world. They do not think beyond who is on dancing with the stars tonight, or if their kid has a soccer game tonight. It takes a deep thinker to get to the spot where we are at, where we feel like giving up based on all the bad we see around us. We "think" too much about the bad things, and all the obstacles in our way (unemployment, health issues, lack of family/friends, etc.). It's a defense mechanism that has been put in place in most creatures of higher intelligence. In centuries past, it would keep us away from our predators. In today's world, it keeps up from getting our hopes us. It's biology - It's evolution - and we can not change it. Ever notice the people who are happiest are the ones who lack the most depth? Since we live in a fool-proof world, these folks are thriving.

Honestly, I can say as a group the people who responsed to this post are deep and have a fully ingrained sense of survival of the fittest. We have been dealt a bad hand, and we are fully aware of this fact. I can relate to what has been said on this thread...I have a job and a spouse, but I am 34 and suffering a multitude of health problems, some of which I will have for the rest of my life. When people try to give me "advice" without walking a mile in my shoes, I just think...wonder what makes them think they are so wonderful, and why are they missing that element of common sense that tells them they should be "supportive" and not so quick to make hasty judgements without knowing the facts? If they are so smart and so great with giving advice, where is their medical degree? But then my sarcastic inner voice kicks in and says "you have to have a cerebral cortex to get one of those."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health