U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2012, 02:47 PM

3,762 posts, read 4,252,480 times

Advertisements

So I can't rep you again, bluemonday...or pretty much anyone else who plucked thoughts out of my head but said it so much better...so I just wanted to say, YEP!! I've often thought that if you were as shallow as a puddle, your life would be fantastic. I think way too much about our world, my life, how I fit in...

I still do have hope, but that's because today is my birthday and AIN'T NUTTIN gonna ruin my birthday. But, as my parents reminded me this morning, I'm old (45) and I'm not getting any younger. They were having fun and I'm not a nut about my age, so it was kind of funny...but it's true. I don't want to run the marathon to show everyone how successful I am...I would like to just be accepted for me. And I don't want to work too hard to convince you either!

Old 07-11-2012, 03:58 PM

4 posts, read 6,270 times
Yeledaf-Thanks, I didlaugh!

Old 07-11-2012, 06:35 PM

1,370 posts, read 1,878,550 times
I'm 20 and am already at that stage...sad isn't it? I look around and see how little I have and how unhappy I get. I honestly would rather die in a year's time than to live to forty and have all of this crap continue. Really. I have nothing.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:13 PM

5,525 posts, read 10,230,495 times
When I'm down about the state of the world and my particular situation (which is easy to do these days with climate change, pollution, political and corporate greed, wars, crime, the work situation and etc. etc.), I try to lift myself up by getting involved in my community and trying as best I can to make a small difference.

Figure the govt., the state, the nation, and the world are beyond my capacity to impact, but my little town? Yes, I can do some positive things here. Does it make a difference?

Often it does lift my spirits..it's the feeling of helplessness that gets me down. Taking some action takes me out of my own head and into a different space. Anyone else try this with good results?

Old 07-11-2012, 08:22 PM

16,056 posts, read 20,670,074 times
You likely are clinically depressed. It would be best for you to seek professional help w/ this. Also, just because you are single doesn't mean you can't adopt or be a foster parent. Being a loving parent takes lot sof energy. Seek the help you need and get the things you want...You don't have to have a spous to hac=ve a good rounded life, or to share it w/ a lucky child. Hoping for the best for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I've dealt with depression on and off for many years. I used to want to get better...I yearned to live depression-free one day.

Then I got divorced, realized there weren't any decent men my age in Dallas (or if there were, it was such a Herculean effort to find them that I'd have to quit my job and hunt for a spouse full-time), realized I'd likely never have children, and found that the reason I wanted to get better is so I could have that.

Realizing now that I can't have it (why is another thread entirely and yes, I am somewhat bitter about it), I've stopped caring about most things. This has been going on for years and has steadily gotten worse. I don't care about my future health even though I work out and eat healthy. I do this to stay skinny, not because I want to be healthy. I'm actually not healthy at all. I'm weak, tired, and underweight. But I don't care. Long as I'm not fat.

People tell me to save for the future, for my retirement. Why? Instead of spending 40 years toiling in solitude at work, I'll spend 20 sitting on my widening ass watching daytime TV and NOT wondering how come the kids never call, because I don't have any. Retirement for me would be a nightmare; working is what keeps me sane. I figure once I get too old/sick to work, I'll take care of business after a nice relaxing vacation. "But but..." people sputter when they hear about my plan. Then they realize that I'd be so incredibly lonely as a retiree that it's probably for the best. It's not like anyone would miss me.

I used to be religious about recycling and about green issues, but my concern for the long-term future of Earth isn't what it used to be, mostly because I have no stake in that long-term future. It's not like people with kids give a damn about how what THEY do affects me, so why should I give a damn either?

Basically I just don't care. Stuff doesn't upset me like it used to because I've stopped caring. The only thing I've gotten upset about recently was a YouTube video of dog abuse in China.

Just how abnormal is this level of apathy? Are there others out there like me who are just too afraid to speak up?

Old 07-11-2012, 09:03 PM

1,245 posts, read 1,576,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
You likely are clinically depressed. It would be best for you to seek professional help w/ this.
Why assume that she is clinically depressed? Maybe she is just tired of the world and life giving her the finger all the time! Why is there always this need to put all the blame on the individual? And it's usually someone who "has it all" telling the downtrodden "you need help."

Old 07-11-2012, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
When I'm down about the state of the world and my particular situation
What is your particular situation?

Old 07-11-2012, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
The problem isn't that the folks on here stopped caring...it is that we care too much! We can see that we would like life to be better, but we can not control what happens to us or around us. We are living in some hopeless times, economically, spiritually, emotionally, etc.

We can be like some folks who never "think", or incapable of higher thinking and therefore are never sad about our situation or the world. They do not think beyond who is on dancing with the stars tonight, or if their kid has a soccer game tonight. It takes a deep thinker to get to the spot where we are at, where we feel like giving up based on all the bad we see around us. We "think" too much about the bad things, and all the obstacles in our way (unemployment, health issues, lack of family/friends, etc.). It's a defense mechanism that has been put in place in most creatures of higher intelligence. In centuries past, it would keep us away from our predators. In today's world, it keeps up from getting our hopes us. It's biology - It's evolution - and we can not change it. Ever notice the people who are happiest are the ones who lack the most depth? Since we live in a fool-proof world, these folks are thriving.
I really, really, really, wish I could be one of those people. I can't imagine what it would be like living everyday with a reckless abandon and coming out on top most of the time. And those people usually do get what they want most of the time. They fall in s*** and come out smelling like roses!
This society really isn't set up for introverted thinkers.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Why don't you and Big D get together? Two negatives make a positive!

How about it Big D? I can assure you that I'm loads of fun at the moment!

Old 07-11-2012, 09:25 PM

7,300 posts, read 5,778,707 times
It's hard dealing with depression. It just kinda grabs on to you and stays. I've been there. I'm a widow, and when I became a widow, the bottom fell out of my life. Though your depression is different from the way mine was, it's still depression and hard to snap out of. I'm sorry you're going through it. For me, what helped me snap out of it was my doctor finally convincing me to take a medication for a little while. I took it for 6 months, maybe less? That put me in a different frame of mind. By the time I came off it, I had spent so much time in a different frame of mind, that I didn't remember what being depressed was, or even how the feeling of being depressed was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I've dealt with depression on and off for many years. I used to want to get better...I yearned to live depression-free one day.

Then I got divorced, realized there weren't any decent men my age in Dallas (or if there were, it was such a Herculean effort to find them that I'd have to quit my job and hunt for a spouse full-time), realized I'd likely never have children, and found that the reason I wanted to get better is so I could have that.

Realizing now that I can't have it (why is another thread entirely and yes, I am somewhat bitter about it), I've stopped caring about most things. This has been going on for years and has steadily gotten worse. I don't care about my future health even though I work out and eat healthy. I do this to stay skinny, not because I want to be healthy. I'm actually not healthy at all. I'm weak, tired, and underweight. But I don't care. Long as I'm not fat.

People tell me to save for the future, for my retirement. Why? Instead of spending 40 years toiling in solitude at work, I'll spend 20 sitting on my widening ass watching daytime TV and NOT wondering how come the kids never call, because I don't have any. Retirement for me would be a nightmare; working is what keeps me sane. I figure once I get too old/sick to work, I'll take care of business after a nice relaxing vacation. "But but..." people sputter when they hear about my plan. Then they realize that I'd be so incredibly lonely as a retiree that it's probably for the best. It's not like anyone would miss me.

I used to be religious about recycling and about green issues, but my concern for the long-term future of Earth isn't what it used to be, mostly because I have no stake in that long-term future. It's not like people with kids give a damn about how what THEY do affects me, so why should I give a damn either?

Basically I just don't care. Stuff doesn't upset me like it used to because I've stopped caring. The only thing I've gotten upset about recently was a YouTube video of dog abuse in China.

Just how abnormal is this level of apathy? Are there others out there like me who are just too afraid to speak up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health