U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2012, 09:26 PM

5,525 posts, read 10,227,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VX5650 View Post
What is your particular situation?
A writer trying to find paying writing jobs, which is increasingly difficult when most writing jobs these days are delivering "content" for pennies.

And my book, while well-reviewed and enjoyed by those who have read it (a small, charming, good-looking, highly intelligent and discerning group), is selling poorly.

But writing's what I do and I love it....so I plug on.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:29 PM

2,663 posts, read 4,680,122 times
Quote:
Why assume that she is clinically depressed? Maybe she is just tired of the world and life giving her the finger all the time! Why is there always this need to put all the blame on the individual? And it's usually someone who "has it all" telling the downtrodden "you need help."
I'm so tired of the default "get help" solution. Perhaps we've already tried that? Not everyone needs help. Some of us just don't want to be here. It's not rocket science.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:55 AM

1,346 posts, read 2,756,635 times
[quote=SCGranny;25069373][quote=claud605;25063170]

You and ShellNic have made my day, too, and cyrano as well.

This is exactly why I threw everything and everyone over, and DID move to a place where I can do as I please, when I please, and how I please... I figure one more year at the crap job where I work - the only thing that is griping me now - and I'll have my beehives, can tend to my gardens, chickens, and cows, and step even further back and away from people... omg, this is exactly what I want!! where did you go?

QUOTE]

Old 07-12-2012, 07:28 AM

994 posts, read 1,397,748 times
I stopped caring after finding out that my extended family on both sides didn't give a flying **** about me or anyone else other than their own hide. If there is one thing I have learned from the last decade of general deterioration of American society, it is that hard times will show what kind of character one really has. I honestly thought that family gave a ****...they don't. Or, people I thought were family and friends really weren't.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
well I can't stand interactions with people. they have everything figured out for themselves and everyone else apparently. so why bother with them. a holes!

most of these humans should fall off the ends of the earth as it's already headed that direction anyways.

the world needs more dogs and less people.
this is one of those posts I wish it would let me rep you about 1000 times!!!!!

Old 07-12-2012, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
The problem isn't that the folks on here stopped caring...it is that we care too much! We can see that we would like life to be better, but we can not control what happens to us or around us. We are living in some hopeless times, economically, spiritually, emotionally, etc.

We can be like some folks who never "think", or incapable of higher thinking and therefore are never sad about our situation or the world. They do not think beyond who is on dancing with the stars tonight, or if their kid has a soccer game tonight. It takes a deep thinker to get to the spot where we are at, where we feel like giving up based on all the bad we see around us. We "think" too much about the bad things, and all the obstacles in our way (unemployment, health issues, lack of family/friends, etc.). It's a defense mechanism that has been put in place in most creatures of higher intelligence. In centuries past, it would keep us away from our predators. In today's world, it keeps up from getting our hopes us. It's biology - It's evolution - and we can not change it. Ever notice the people who are happiest are the ones who lack the most depth? Since we live in a fool-proof world, these folks are thriving.

Honestly, I can say as a group the people who responsed to this post are deep and have a fully ingrained sense of survival of the fittest. We have been dealt a bad hand, and we are fully aware of this fact. I can relate to what has been said on this thread...I have a job and a spouse, but I am 34 and suffering a multitude of health problems, some of which I will have for the rest of my life. When people try to give me "advice" without walking a mile in my shoes, I just think...wonder what makes them think they are so wonderful, and why are they missing that element of common sense that tells them they should be "supportive" and not so quick to make hasty judgements without knowing the facts? If they are so smart and so great with giving advice, where is their medical degree? But then my sarcastic inner voice kicks in and says "you have to have a cerebral cortex to get one of those."
YES YES YES!!!! How many times have I said "I wish I just didn't give a flying f*** like 95% of the people out there." LIfe would be so much easier. I think some of us are born with this way of being really sensitive about things in our environment. And in this world we live in nowadays it is really magnified. SOOOOOOO...what do we all do about it?????? I'm about at the end of my rope and ready to go be a hermit somewhere.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
I'm so tired of the default "get help" solution. Perhaps we've already tried that? Not everyone needs help. Some of us just don't want to be here. It's not rocket science.
God, me too.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:48 AM

24,576 posts, read 34,278,842 times
Quote:
Why assume that she is clinically depressed? Maybe she is just tired of the world and life giving her the finger all the time! Why is there always this need to put all the blame on the individual? And it's usually someone who "has it all" telling the downtrodden "you need help."
THIS! I love how he tossed off the adoption option like it isn't insanely expensive, time-consuming, stressful, and at the end of it I'll be a single mom who is 5 years older and $50k poorer than I am right now.

Quote:
How about it Big D? I can assure you that I'm loads of fun at the moment!
If you're in Dallas we can meet up for coffee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
It's hard dealing with depression. It just kinda grabs on to you and stays. I've been there. I'm a widow, and when I became a widow, the bottom fell out of my life. Though your depression is different from the way mine was, it's still depression and hard to snap out of. I'm sorry you're going through it. For me, what helped me snap out of it was my doctor finally convincing me to take a medication for a little while. I took it for 6 months, maybe less? That put me in a different frame of mind. By the time I came off it, I had spent so much time in a different frame of mind, that I didn't remember what being depressed was, or even how the feeling of being depressed was.
I'm sorry for your loss and I'm glad you found something that helped you. Medications do not work for me, and yes, I have tried many of them.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:08 PM

1,245 posts, read 1,576,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
A writer trying to find paying writing jobs, which is increasingly difficult when most writing jobs these days are delivering "content" for pennies.

And my book, while well-reviewed and enjoyed by those who have read it (a small, charming, good-looking, highly intelligent and discerning group), is selling poorly.

I think it's sad that art has now become a commodity and is valued as such. I'm a big classical music fan and now I see that Amazon is selling hours and hours of classical music for 99 cents. Less than the price of a burger on McDonald's dollar menu! I think of all the time it took to compose that music, all the time it took for the musicians to learn the music and here it is going for nothing. That is depressing.
Kudos to you for creating something in this vapid age and I hope sales pick up for you!

Old 07-12-2012, 07:12 PM

1,245 posts, read 1,576,083 times
Quote:
THIS! I love how he tossed off the adoption option like it isn't insanely expensive, time-consuming, stressful, and at the end of it I'll be a single mom who is 5 years older and $50k poorer than I am right now.
All your problems are solved! Sure, there are a few speed bumps to overcome. Just think positive and all will be well!

Quote:
If you're in Dallas we can meet up for coffee.
I'm waaaaay up north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health