U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2012, 09:50 PM

4,178 posts, read 9,654,288 times

Advertisements

[quote=claud605;25063170]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
I'll turn on the TV and I can't watch the news. I feel things way too deeply and I'll see an image that just won't go away: abuse of animals or children, suffering...I can't handle it so I switch over to something that doesn't remind me of all the cruelty out there. Although it wasn't exactly planned, my husband and I didn't have kids and I'm extremely grateful for that. I don't think I could let go of them for one second in the mad world. ME TOO!!!!!!!

I think of a place where it's quiet and nature is full...I hope one day I can move to this quiet, QUIET place...out of the chaos of traffic, rude, unrelenting people, the more more more attitude...give me a rocking chair on a porch, listening to the birds and hoping my kitties don't trounce them...ME TOO!!!!!
QUOTE]

Omg Shell, honestly you've made my day. I thought I was all alone in this world feeling like this.
You and ShellNic have made my day, too, and cyrano as well.

This is exactly why I threw everything and everyone over, and DID move to a place where I can do as I please, when I please, and how I please... I figure one more year at the crap job where I work - the only thing that is griping me now - and I'll have my beehives, can tend to my gardens, chickens, and cows, and step even further back and away from people...

Especially away from people who sanctimoniously talk about "metaphysicals" and "vibrations" and all of that other fantasy crap that means absolutely nothing - except profit to the latest guru of happyhappyjoyjoy. In my long and varied life, I have figured out that those poor people are so intent on fooling themselves and others into thinking that 'happiness' is a state that they don't-quite-deserve but that everyone should strive for, and that they are actually, secretly, more deeply miserable than any one of us who freely admit it. Those are the people whom you have to be careful of - because when their fairy-and-unicorn world suddenly and decisively comes crashing down around them, and they discover that all of their bought-and-paid-for happy thoughts and good vibrations didn't/don't work, either do harm to themselves or others.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:23 PM

4,178 posts, read 9,654,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claud605 View Post
She is sooo right it is just creepy!!!! Especially about the delusional bubble of the housing crisis!!! "telling people that they are poor because of their attitude"!
And the response to cancer patients - "Positive thinking is just plain cruel.." Yup!

I may have to buy this book - and give it to some friends as well as some Pollyannas I know...

Old 07-07-2012, 10:31 PM

18,700 posts, read 22,475,493 times
Great book to send to all my postive-minded friends, who have cheer-leaded me, over the years, to no avail!

If you closely observe the positive-minded, long enough, one thing that you can always gain from it is lots of laughs! And being a depressive type myself, a good laugh isn't going kill me, now and then!

Old 07-09-2012, 09:01 AM

24,575 posts, read 34,336,696 times
Just checking in...positive thought doesn't work....you can think positively in one and and poop in the other and see which one fills up first...

Just running down the clock.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:48 AM

1,346 posts, read 2,759,708 times
What does everyone think of the idea that it's just getting older that makes you stop caring? Was discussing this with a friend yesterday... is a lot of it just being in your mid-40s???

Old 07-09-2012, 09:51 AM

4 posts, read 6,274 times
Hi
New here, registered because of this forum. I thought I was the only freak out there! Been through a lot of this myself.

I appreciate the level of discussion; maybe I can add something or maybe not. But have got a clue what on-line community means in a time of mistrust, apathy and me-first attitudes.

Anybody read Daniel Quinn or Derrick Jensen?

Old 07-09-2012, 10:00 AM

2,727 posts, read 5,511,200 times
I think a big part of my not caring also has to do with my feeling like no one gave a darn about me. My family always cared more for my brother (and made it known), amde sure he had everything he needed to make it in life, and me being 3 years youngers it was like 'who cares, you can figure it out for yourself'. So I kind of of feel like, well no one else cared about me, why should I?

I happened to be thinking about this over the past few days and that thought came to mind.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:05 AM

4 posts, read 6,274 times
It's clear to me the powers that be (and their little monkeys) would just like to see me dead-I wish they would supply the Potassium cyanide-I'd be happy to do them the favor. I don't want to live in a world where money is more important than friends, family, tribe or life in general!

Old 07-09-2012, 10:06 AM

2,663 posts, read 4,686,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynncreek View Post
It's clear to me the powers that be (and their little monkeys) would just like to see me dead-I wish they would supply the Potassium cyanide-I'd be happy to do them the favor. I don't want to live in a world where money is more important than friends, family, tribe or life in general!
I feel the same way.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:32 AM

31,610 posts, read 34,841,980 times
After experiencing a series of unfortunate events I eventually popped. It wasn't something you could see on the outside it took place internally. Something shut off and I stopped caring, worrying or giving a fuc*. I can't do anything to stop life from doing it's thing. I don't feel like it's totally a bad thing though since I now feel more comfortable getting out of my comfort zone and taking more risks (because who cares). I know I'm going to die in the end, I don't need to rush it, but I look at life as something different now, I'm basically just watching to see what happens next. I deal with things as they happen and not let it overwhelm me and don't worry about how things are going to work out because I am not in control of it all. I used to think I was but nope..I'm not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health