U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 05:57 PM

2,873 posts, read 4,947,630 times

Advertisements

To be very honest and rather blunt, he doesn't sound bipolar. It sounds a lot like he's manipulating you...you are not responsible for his mental health. Even if he were bipolar, you would not be responsible. That's far too much pressure for another person to carry, especially if he's saying things like he feels like dying if you aren't there. I would advise you to seek counseling for yourself to discuss if you are in a codependent or possibly abusive relationship. Using sucidie or depression as a means to control your significant other is a common tactic of abuse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 08:32 AM

2,996 posts, read 5,046,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monica Statler View Post
thank you everyone, I realy appreciate this, and well the sad thing is that he is not on med, because he thinks it doesn't help at all. well when I'm there with him he is all fine and perfect, he never gets depressed and if he does I help him you know by loving him and taking him out for a walk or something or just being there and cook something that I know he loves and that makes him feel better, but now that I'm in TX and he is in Colorado, and I haven't being with him for 3 months, but I WILL BE THERE WITH HIM NEXT WEEK, he is being getting really depressed lately and it's kind of hard for me to make him feel better through a phone or computer, and I would like to make him understand that his family loves him and I do too OBVIOUSLY but it just seems so hard for him to understand that when I'm so far away, I just wish there was a way to show him I still love him even if I can't be there with him and to tell him that he has to stay strong when I can't be there with him because when Im not there he gets so sad and depressed and it hurts me alot, it hurts seeing the person you love being like that
There are those who are very depressed and are non violent then theres those who are ; so long as he is non violent toward you then its safe for you to live with him. But one of the things youll have to protect yourself from is not allowing his depressed, negative state start bringing YOU down . Being around someone like this day in and day out can have a toxic effect on a healthy person. If hes not willing to get on meds or at least join a support group for Depressed People, then he is in denial and a rather selfish person for not wanting to work at overc oming this disease and making your marriage satisfying. Im afraid you will reach a point where you admit to yourself that this is going to be hopeless . I trust it wont come to this end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health