U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2012, 09:41 PM

994 posts, read 1,396,171 times

Advertisements

I've been doing a lot of thinking over the last few years and have wanted to write this for a while now. It probably comes across as rambling more so than anything else, so I apologize in advance if it comes across as that. But it just seems like everything nowadays is so gloomy and sad. Almost everywhere, the media, social networking, even just casual talk seems to give the idea that life now is so much harder, sadder, and more conflict ridden than ever before - and what is equally as puzzling is the idea that life for so many people has to be this way.

I wonder if society is on the edge of a major crisis; it seems that the last decade or so in American life has become much darker with every year that passes. I'm under the impression that 9-11 probably threw American society off course far more than what American society wants to admit. It's possible that 9-11 itself probably exposed what our leadership really is like. Our leadership even back then was not only incompitent but incredibly crooked; it's no surprise that Washington commands almost no respect among its subjects. 9-11 probably exposed both Washington and Wall Street for what they really are, a bunch of grafters of the worst kind. Of course the media won't talk about it - they're all bought and paid for. However, I think the American people overall are in a daze since they were used to being supported by Washington and Wall Street at the time and still are to this day. In addition, a lot of people are probably in denial of the problems in America today. It's not just Wall Street and Washington that do this; they're just closer to the top, that's all.

I also think the economic depression we are currently in also says multitudes about a lot of people in general. There are tens of thousands of stories all over the internet of people being thrown under the bus by friends, family, employers, religion, and so forth. I think the Depression of the 2000s has shown who is real and who is fake; a lot of people will be friends and family during good times...in bad times they just might see you as expendable. I won't rehash the nightmare stories from people who got burned by coworkers or employers, we all know that already. You can see the increasing darkness in our society even by just looking at the entertainment; I don't think it's just coincidence that Reality TV took off in popularity at about the same time that 9-11 happened. American society before 9-11-01 and after that day might as well be two seperate millenia, and I think that bothers a lot of people.

However, I do want to say that there is definetly hope in this world. I will tell you some of my life story just to give you an example. I won't bore you with the details but I want to show you my perspective on today:

16 years ago, in the year 1996, I was starting high school and I found that my so called 'friends' basically were using me ever since day one of moving here. My best friend stabbed me in the back during a confrontation with some seniors after school and that basically threw me away from not just my friends but from a social life in general. Fast forward to 1999 and the Columbine shootings happened. That made me basically disown my entire generation. Then, in 2002 I told my parents I was transgender and they blew up at me, which I never expected from them or anyone else. I spent the next 8 years living as a social recluse; basically I was like a ship that wandered out to sea and drifted for a long time (sort of like the Flying Dutchman).

In 2010, I went to work for a grocery store that was mostly outside the town I lived in for so long. I wasn't fond of the company itself or some of the management, but I found that my coworkers, many of whom were in my same age bracket, weren't as bad as I had experienced before in my life. Understand too that many of my coworkers here are people who I really didn't hold much in common with. Within a year I was able to take down that Iron Curtain between me and my generation. A part of me that I thought was long dead was revived partially. I don't think I will be a part of my generation again, but I don't hate or shun them anymore.

The point I am trying to make here is that the sadness that many people feel today is very real and warranted. But it shouldn't make the future sad or pointless. If I could turn myself around, I have faith that many others can. I still have a ways to go; this weekend I may confront my parents over that day almost ten years ago. I'm not even sure if I will have another post after this one. Nevertheless, as someone who is still partially stuck in the 90s, I can say that sometimes to defeat the past, you must break with it. I think a lot of people from the past would say that. That grocery store job wasn't good as far as compensation goes, but it took me out of a community that treats people like crap and taught me that there is still a lot of hope and optimism in this world even today. I think the greatest test for American society is pretending that the past was better or that life from now on must be under 'tyranny'. See your leadership for what they really are, grafters and crooks. Yes, there will be losses from that. But think of what society will gain from confronting betrayal and lies. I think you'll be surprised...in a good way.

See you soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 10:17 AM

2,663 posts, read 4,675,298 times
I hope this isn't your last post. You have been through a lot and have very valid and well thought out opinions.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:49 AM

19,184 posts, read 15,737,395 times
I agree, good post. I don't think that people realize how much determination to get something done can actually go. Make a plan and work the plan. I always heard that doing anything worthwhile isn't easy and I have never found that to be wrong but true rewards are worth the work.

Old 07-15-2012, 03:37 PM

8,712 posts, read 10,291,602 times
you can only speak for yourself on these matters. that's it.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:22 PM

7,288 posts, read 11,231,990 times
Very insightful and heartfelt post. Thanks for sharing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health