U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-09-2012, 04:33 AM
 
Location: New Jersey
8,712 posts, read 10,309,820 times
Reputation: 7553

Advertisements

This has been brought up in a number of threads I seen on here. This mentality of "people that succeeded didn't give up on (blank) so that's why I'm going to keep trying."

Just asking: why do people equate random success stories of someone else with meaning they will personally succeed too? I don't understand this mentality. Wouldn't it be more feasible to go off of your own experiences in life as opposed to using someone else's life/circumstances/experiences as a measure for what you're capable of?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-09-2012, 08:37 AM
 
13,051 posts, read 16,119,396 times
Reputation: 15249
I guess for some that's what it takes to keep them motivated....I don't understand that mentality either.....though sometimes it can be helpful to learn from others mistakes,.... so that you don't repeat them.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2012, 11:07 AM
 
Location: New Jersey
8,712 posts, read 10,309,820 times
Reputation: 7553
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I guess for some that's what it takes to keep them motivated....I don't understand that mentality either.....though sometimes it can be helpful to learn from others mistakes,.... so that you don't repeat them.....

okay, yes i do understand about learn from people mistakes so you don't repeat them as well. just not that other mindset. but alright.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2012, 12:12 PM
 
9,237 posts, read 19,636,440 times
Reputation: 22332
I would think that you hear this about people who have been an inspiration to others. If a person is using someone else as their inspiration to not give, up, try harder, do better, then what's wrong with that? If they are trying to be exactly like the other person, or saying "he failed at this, so I shouldn't even try" than that's another thing.

But I think it's good to be inspired by the successes of others, if that motivates a person to excel. It's great if you have consistent, unwaivering confidence in yourself. But for some people, confidence goes up & down, and looking to someone else for inspiration can help in the "down" periods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2012, 01:33 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
8,712 posts, read 10,309,820 times
Reputation: 7553
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam;25089075[B
I would think that you hear this about people who have been an inspiration to others.[/b] If a person is using someone else as their inspiration to not give, up, try harder, do better, then what's wrong with that? If they are trying to be exactly like the other person, or saying "he failed at this, so I shouldn't even try" than that's another thing.

But I think it's good to be inspired by the successes of others, if that motivates a person to excel. It's great if you have consistent, unwaivering confidence in yourself. But for some people, confidence goes up & down, and looking to someone else for inspiration can help in the "down" periods.

If that's what someone want to, okay, didn't say there was something necessarily wrong with it. I said it didn't make sense to me. you have explain it and why you think people do this because it's about 'inspiration' and while i understood what you're saying, it's still not something I 'get' personally. oh well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2012, 03:37 PM
 
18,847 posts, read 32,779,514 times
Reputation: 26181
Ha! I recently got a free book on my Kindle, "How to Completely Change Your Life..achieve everything you want " ...Wow...cool. So, I downloaded the book, it was free. After the first three paragraphs, I was ready to toss it...why? Okay, the guy said he was down and out, all the way at the bottom...and how did he get back up? He moved home with his PARENTS!! Wow! Gee...If I could move home with my parents, I could get out of debt...heck, I would have never got into debt! I would have money to travel, go to school, work on a degree, on and on....how about how to get your life on track, when you don't have anyone to support you? That book was worthless. I can't even bring myself to even care about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2012, 03:52 PM
 
Location: Purgatory
2,663 posts, read 4,681,460 times
Reputation: 3054
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Ha! I recently got a free book on my Kindle, "How to Completely Change Your Life..achieve everything you want " ...Wow...cool. So, I downloaded the book, it was free. After the first three paragraphs, I was ready to toss it...why? Okay, the guy said he was down and out, all the way at the bottom...and how did he get back up? He moved home with his PARENTS!! Wow! Gee...If I could move home with my parents, I could get out of debt...heck, I would have never got into debt! I would have money to travel, go to school, work on a degree, on and on....how about how to get your life on track, when you don't have anyone to support you? That book was worthless. I can't even bring myself to even care about it.
If only I'd have thought of that idea first; I might be rich by now. Slight problem though...I don't have that option and even if I did, I think I'd rather sleep in my car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2012, 04:33 PM
 
5,339 posts, read 8,339,408 times
Reputation: 9673
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Ha! I recently got a free book on my Kindle, "How to Completely Change Your Life..achieve everything you want " ...Wow...cool. So, I downloaded the book, it was free. After the first three paragraphs, I was ready to toss it...why? Okay, the guy said he was down and out, all the way at the bottom...and how did he get back up? He moved home with his PARENTS!! Wow! Gee...If I could move home with my parents, I could get out of debt...heck, I would have never got into debt! I would have money to travel, go to school, work on a degree, on and on....how about how to get your life on track, when you don't have anyone to support you? That book was worthless. I can't even bring myself to even care about it.
I bought some type of frugal living magazine because the feature article caught my attention. It was entitled "Our family lives on $24,000 a year" and had a picture of a couple with three small children standing in front of a nice two story home on a huge lawn.

I started reading the article and one of the first things mentioned was that they lived in their home rent-free, It belonged to an elderly relative who had moved to a condo, and let the family live there rent free, utility free, property tax free and insurance free.

The home had a workshop in one of the outbuildings so dad worked out of the shop doing carpentry, I think. Mom stated that of course she didn't work because she loved being a full time mom.

Then another paragraph mentioned that their 7 passenger van belonged to a friend who for some reason or other didn't need it so, you guessed it, the family had a free van.

I quit reading after that because I realized that I didn't have an elderly relative who could give me a free house or a friend who would give me a free vehicle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2012, 04:51 PM
 
Location: Location: Location
6,517 posts, read 8,194,761 times
Reputation: 19437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
This has been brought up in a number of threads I seen on here. This mentality of "people that succeeded didn't give up on (blank) so that's why I'm going to keep trying."

Just asking: why do people equate random success stories of someone else with meaning they will personally succeed too? I don't understand this mentality. Wouldn't it be more feasible to go off of your own experiences in life as opposed to using someone else's life/circumstances/experiences as a measure for what you're capable of?

I think I know the answer - because if you don't know how high the bar is set, you don't know how high you have to jump.

Roger Bannister tried for years to run an under-four-minute mile. He did it, only to have his record beaten less than two months later. Someone else knew there was a goal to beat and did it.

I had never known anyone with colon cancer and when the doctor gave me my diagnosis, I had no idea what was to come. So I did what I had done all my life whenever adversity arose - tackled it full on. I hope that I can be an inspiration to someone else to do just what I did.

It isn't a matter of thinking you can succeed just because someone else did. It's striving to succeed because someone else did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2012, 05:04 PM
 
Location: Location: Location
6,517 posts, read 8,194,761 times
Reputation: 19437
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I bought some type of frugal living magazine because the feature article caught my attention. It was entitled "Our family lives on $24,000 a year" and had a picture of a couple with three small children standing in front of a nice two story home on a huge lawn.

I started reading the article and one of the first things mentioned was that they lived in their home rent-free, It belonged to an elderly relative who had moved to a condo, and let the family live there rent free, utility free, property tax free and insurance free.

The home had a workshop in one of the outbuildings so dad worked out of the shop doing carpentry, I think. Mom stated that of course she didn't work because she loved being a full time mom.

Then another paragraph mentioned that their 7 passenger van belonged to a friend who for some reason or other didn't need it so, you guessed it, the family had a free van.

I quit reading after that because I realized that I didn't have an elderly relative who could give me a free house or a friend who would give me a free vehicle.
Hah!! And the $24,000. was what the magazine paid them for the interview I'll bet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:11 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top