U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 08:57 PM

8,632 posts, read 14,246,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post

Paxil is an SSRI drug.
What is Zanix? Do you mean Xanax? I can't trust what someone says if they can't get their information correct. Link please showing where Xanax is more addicting than heroin and crack.
Please check and double check and provide links to people so as to be of service to their needs and questions.
Yes I mean Xanax, a very drug of choice these days, especially for the old and in firmed. If you want to know more about Benzos, just look it up on Google, its all there, I have not said anything new, most people know the evils of prescription Drugs.It is a double edged sword, meds are in many cases all that can be done for most people..... There are so many web sites addressing this. You pick the one you find most interesting to you. I do not cherry pick by sending quotes or links as I have found those who do seem to direct you to a one sided agenda driven opinion The problem in other countries, like England is understood more than in the States. I speak from personal experience with Xanax, a very long road to recovery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 10:26 PM

7,288 posts, read 11,257,870 times
Since you are someone with a history of drug abuse and have been clean and sober for three years, wanting to take a drug to "calm you down," is a slippery slope and is really just a bandaid approach to your problem, anyway.

Put some effort into finding another job and in the meantime, try EFT (it's free and on YouTube for any symptom that ails you - it really does work).

Old 07-28-2012, 01:53 AM

14,545 posts, read 18,253,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
question for you and others in the know-----is that all one needs a psychiatrist for? To manage medicines?
I've had someone else recently say that is all their psychiatrist does. I was shocked. What happened to the days of them listening to and helping one sort out their thoughts,feelings,emotions??
Any doctor can prescribe meds
When I was on meds I saw my doctor about every two months, sometimes three. I saw him for maybe twenty minutes if I was real lucky. If you wanted therapy you asked to see the therapist. It was a couple months wait since there was one. They tended to take the job, then move on to better paying jobs in three to six months. I found a self help group where I could talk at will and it wasn't a race to see the next person.

If I was the OP, and they have therapists available, I'd jump at the chance. A therapist can help you unscramble the issues and help start you along the way. Ulitmately you have to figure it out yourself but it doesn't hurt to have someone listen and get to know you enough to make you feel safe.

Old 07-28-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
When I was on meds I saw my doctor about every two months, sometimes three. I saw him for maybe twenty minutes if I was real lucky. If you wanted therapy you asked to see the therapist. It was a couple months wait since there was one. They tended to take the job, then move on to better paying jobs in three to six months. I found a self help group where I could talk at will and it wasn't a race to see the next person.

If I was the OP, and they have therapists available, I'd jump at the chance. A therapist can help you unscramble the issues and help start you along the way. Ulitmately you have to figure it out yourself but it doesn't hurt to have someone listen and get to know you enough to make you feel safe.
It is also important to be referred to a licensed doctor who specializes in mental health problems.Thats what we mean when saying a " Professional ". Your family doctor, or intern( better choice ) will referrer you to such when he or she feels its warranted. And yes , meds are the only way most people can be helped. You can not " will" your way out of serious mental problems, and that includes depression and anxiety. The problem that has surfaced is the over use of addicting drugs like Xanax and or any of the Benzo group drugs .If only taken occasionally, depending on your ailment , they work wonders. Its the common use of these drugs for problems that can be solved or that will get better on their own without addicting drugs. Most therapists are again a referral, sometimes by your GP and a lot of times by the courts. A general therapist will take on all sorts of problems, from marriage counseling to child abuse. Some can prescribe meds, many can not, that plan comes from the Psychiatrist working together with the therapist on your complex problems. Help groups can be a good thing, its always comforting to share your same ailment with another person who has the same . There can also be serious problems that make things worse. Way too many " friends" playing Doctor, so I would be careful when joining up with some of these groups. AA is another example of this group thing and they have a very low success rate . There are many out there that go to AA as an excuse to drink, sort of like going to confession in the Catholic Church.

Old 07-28-2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
It is also important to be referred to a licensed doctor who specializes in mental health problems.Thats what we mean when saying a " Professional ". Your family doctor, or intern( better choice ) will referrer you to such when he or she feels its warranted. And yes , meds are the only way most people can be helped. You can not " will" your way out of serious mental problems, and that includes depression and anxiety. The problem that has surfaced is the over use of addicting drugs like Xanax and or any of the Benzo group drugs .If only taken occasionally, depending on your ailment , they work wonders. Its the common use of these drugs for problems that can be solved or that will get better on their own without addicting drugs. Most therapists are again a referral, sometimes by your GP and a lot of times by the courts. A general therapist will take on all sorts of problems, from marriage counseling to child abuse. Some can prescribe meds, many can not, that plan comes from the Psychiatrist working together with the therapist on your complex problems. Help groups can be a good thing, its always comforting to share your same ailment with another person who has the same . There can also be serious problems that make things worse. Way too many " friends" playing Doctor, so I would be careful when joining up with some of these groups. AA is another example of this group thing and they have a very low success rate . There are many out there that go to AA as an excuse to drink, sort of like going to confession in the Catholic Church.
The doctors I refer to were lisenced, qualified doctors, but in a county system where the emphasis is to get the patients in and out asap they have so many to serve. I don't know how good or bad they'd be if they had the time, but most were happy to take your word for it all was fine and had written the script before you walked in.

I agree about the family doctor. A relative of mine went to the family doctor since she was depressed. She was on an AD and felt better. But it was situational. Five years later they'd gone to a different AD and xanex. And pain killers for her back condition. She never sat still. Then she accidently took a second soma (she has spinal problems) and ended up with an accidental narcotics overdose. Her husband put his foot down. They went to see the doctor. They weened her off the AD and the xanex. She was fine. The depression had been long gone already and the anxiety was from the meds she didn't need. He still keeps the soma and dispenses them lest she be sleepy and forget.

But she took them for years unnecessarily. This is not just a problem with family doctors, but overworked and with little time doctors in clinics. The ones I saw, who never really had time to listen to problems *were* qualified if they'd had more time, but the crush of patients meant most got the once over/you look like your doing fine/you said your doing fine/here's your perscription. One year I saw five different doctors in the five appointments I had in the year (two were emergency as I'd run out of meds due to office cancelled/no notification appointments).

The clinic doctor, with appointments set for max fifteen minutes, who often sees unfamiliar clients can be just as bad as a family doctor since they still know nothing about the individual. The problem is most people get refered to a county clinic with this exact situation, or a regular whoever is there that day doctor. If a perfect world, most would get to see the same doctor and get at least a half hour of their time and proper blood tests (my medical doctor did one after I told her the pdoc never had, nobody at the clinic ever ordered blood work). The reality is the great majority don't live in that perfect world and are given drugs requiring supervision when the system does not have time to do that. It doesn't matter if its an unqualified GP or a system with quick in and out so they don't run out of time before they do patients. Neither gives patients the enviornment where good practices with drugs with unpredictable results are really offered.

As for therapists, courts order it but it may take many months to get in. What do you do in the meanwhile? And clinics tend to have one, if they have one at all. With the budget crunch, many times they opt for more doctor's instead. There are places that use a sliding scale but if your really chunched, that fourty dollars minimum is probably needed elsewhere. Seeing a therapist is not so simple as it sounds.

I saw two, the first on my own and she helped a lot. The second was at the clinic, the last one they had, and she quit after a month. I might have been better off not wasting my money on the busfare.

The group I went to is the DBSA. Depressives and Bipolar Support assn. It is FREQUENTLY refered to patients by doctors and works with the mental health community. It won't substitute for therapy, but gives people a safe, truely confidental place to talk. Unless self harm is involved, in which someone may drive them to the emergency hospital, no records are saved. A lot of people felt more comfortable talking about things where one could misunderstand among friends.

They wouldn't cure anyone but that's not what they do. They provide support and information to those who wish to come, including the families of those with illnesses. And for people who often don't have much of a social life, the holiday parties for those with no place else to go and the lunch out after the group also helped enormously.

We simply don't VALUE mental health in this society despite all the drugs and pharma ads on tv. It's a business, and its no wonder people end up seeing the family doctor over a problem. The family doctor may not be qualified, but will usually give them more time than an overworked system.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:14 AM

1,798 posts, read 2,437,335 times
I've been on Paxil for just over a week, but last night I decided to skip my dose. I had a terrible gagging reaction on it that would interfere with my sleep. So I finally got a decent night's sleep last night and I feel good this morning. I already feel like my old self is coming back, that stuff had me a zombie, all yawning constantly. I'll call my doctor and see if there's another antidepressant to try.

I could see how these antidepressants make you feel more content with your current life and I suppose that's good in that you can function more comfortably. But I don't want anything that's going to take away my dreams either. I've been dreaming of moving out to the western US after I finish college, I certainly don't want to lose sight of that goal.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:22 AM

1,261 posts, read 4,791,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
I've been on Paxil for just over a week, but last night I decided to skip my dose. I had a terrible gagging reaction on it that would interfere with my sleep. So I finally got a decent night's sleep last night and I feel good this morning. I already feel like my old self is coming back, that stuff had me a zombie, all yawning constantly. I'll call my doctor and see if there's another antidepressant to try.

I could see how these antidepressants make you feel more content with your current life and I suppose that's good in that you can function more comfortably. But I don't want anything that's going to take away my dreams either. I've been dreaming of moving out to the western US after I finish college, I certainly don't want to lose sight of that goal.
Try Lexapro!

Old 08-06-2012, 12:09 PM

Many of the so called antidepressant drugs are not what they claim to be. The ads on TV can be quite deceiving.Also, some of them can have averse reactions on some people. I am sure your doctor told you if there were any problems with what was prescribed to let him know. Sometimes people need to tough it out a few days and things will improve on these milder drugs but not always. Its all about the chemical makeup of your brain, everyone needs the right amount and mix in order to feel better. Many times these less addictive drugs will not be able to knock out the depressiopn with anyone who is having serious problems, some can be life threatening Its up to your medical provider what you may need to get started . feeling better is the first step , but there is no substitute for the Benzo drugs, that , were and still are over prescribed, especially to the elderly.They can have a powerful effect on some people. getting over the rough spot is the hardest, but its the immediate goal of our health care professional to bring you back, sort of. Then once you are stable , you can be weaned off the hard drugs slowly.
The mind and what works or doesn't work remains the big question and often a guessing game for the medical community.The biggest obstetrical to overcome is how to treat the patent at hand . There is no magic bullet , everyone is different. It should not be that sometimes a person is prescribed one of the opioid drugs, just to shut them up,and the growing older baby boomers are right now in the forefront. There are way too many people with what can be considered serious problems that go untreated and ignored due to the huge influx of an aging population at a rate never before imagined and few Trained Medical people to help them. Health care in general has a long way to go before we can call the work accomplished .Universal health care For all, in some fair manner will go a long way towards that goal. Canada is now facing the same problem with the baby Boomers, it will be interesting how they do compared to what we have so poorly accomplished , at a huge cost to the people in this country.This is not a political statement its a real problem that crosses all boundaries , religion, political parties, and other one sided agendas that we the People must make First priority along with Education of our masses, regardless of how goes your politics .

Old 08-06-2012, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Many of the so called antidepressant drugs are not what they claim to be. The ads on TV can be quite deceiving.Also, some of them can have averse reactions on some people. I am sure your doctor told you if there were any problems with what was prescribed to let him know. Sometimes people need to tough it out a few days and things will improve on these milder drugs but not always. Its all about the chemical makeup of your brain, everyone needs the right amount and mix in order to feel better. Many times these less addictive drugs will not be able to knock out the depressiopn with anyone who is having serious problems, some can be life threatening Its up to your medical provider what you may need to get started . feeling better is the first step , but there is no substitute for the Benzo drugs, that , were and still are over prescribed, especially to the elderly.They can have a powerful effect on some people. getting over the rough spot is the hardest, but its the immediate goal of our health care professional to bring you back, sort of. Then once you are stable , you can be weaned off the hard drugs slowly.
The mind and what works or doesn't work remains the big question and often a guessing game for the medical community.The biggest obstetrical to overcome is how to treat the patent at hand . There is no magic bullet , everyone is different. It should not be that sometimes a person is prescribed one of the opioid drugs, just to shut them up,and the growing older baby boomers are right now in the forefront. There are way too many people with what can be considered serious problems that go untreated and ignored due to the huge influx of an aging population at a rate never before imagined and few Trained Medical people to help them. Health care in general has a long way to go before we can call the work accomplished .Universal health care For all, in some fair manner will go a long way towards that goal. Canada is now facing the same problem with the baby Boomers, it will be interesting how they do compared to what we have so poorly accomplished , at a huge cost to the people in this country.This is not a political statement its a real problem that crosses all boundaries , religion, political parties, and other one sided agendas that we the People must make First priority along with Education of our masses, regardless of how goes your politics .
If you go to a crowded county clinic, this is already the reality. They figure ten minutes a person. If you have a problem and they are an hour behind, that means the next few people will get the real rush job. And you see whoever is there that day, not 'your' doctor. More than a few had the perscription written out for the refill as you walk in. This is HOW people get drugged up on ineffective or overwhelming drugs which are not really making it better.

What everyone who goes to a clinic should know is there is an officer of the day. If your doctor was in too much of a hurry to talk to you, go to the desk and ask for them. They must see you. Everyone is human but when its your doctor who is just trying to finish on time with unreasonable loads, you have the right to complain.

If its not working, go in with your notes. Write out the problems, and how often they happen. I know people who bring someone who lives with them come too, since their companion can describe the problems from having to deal with them where the patient may be brushed aside.

Also make sure blood tests are done. In over two years with the county in California I had exactly NONE. My medical doctor decided to do them finally and found liver damage. The pdoc didn't seem bothered at all. The drug which causes cataracks when I had two surgeries was never discontinued. The FDA papers say with a big red check that it should never be given to those with cataracs and should be discontinued immediately. (This being serequel, for everyone's information.) The problem is there are too many patients and not enough doctors and nobody cares. Funding keeps dissapearing. People are being left at risk because they can't get in at all or the choice is something guarenteed to make them calm (even if it doesn't solve the problem) so you can leave them three months without checking. At some point people get tired of it and start weaning themselves off the meds.

I did that, over a year. It was so slow it wasn't going to hurt. But what its left me with is a deep distrust of doctors who failed to do the most fundamental of steps to be sure what they were doing did not do harm, and constantly disregarded my concerns as unimportant, even about other medical concerns effected. I don't care if I cycle since with one dose of St. John's Wort (european pharmcutical grade) I chose to use myself keeps me out of depression without making me hyper, and if its a nothing day, its a nothing day. At least I'm not being zonked out on drugs and feeling zoned all the time. That is NOT treatment.

What everyone needs to remember is the system will not change nor will things be dealt with unless the patient/client speaks up about it, of if they can't someone close to them does. If its a county, you can file a complaint if you wish. Looking back, if I'd known I would have filed one about the serequel. And do not ever be afraid to tell the doctor you want more information or you do not want to take a meds becuse of that information. And there are lots of resources on the internet to use as well. It is your body and your health.

And if your one of the lucky who doesn't have this problem, feel very fortunate.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:06 PM

1,798 posts, read 2,437,335 times
I went in to see my doctor today and he switched me over to Sertraline (Zoloft). I had taken it years before with no problems and it helped my mood. The problem was I quit the treatment 4 months into it as I was already self medicating on alcohol and cocaine. This time though I'll stick with it, and of course I'm years clean on alcohol and street drugs. I took my first dose before work today and had zero side effects! Not like that Paxil, that stuff had me a gagging zombie from the first time I took it. He started me on 50mg, and if it agrees with me, he'll work me up to a nice heavy dose of 150mg or more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or