U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 11:50 AM

1,711 posts, read 2,722,541 times

Advertisements

My doctor put me on clonazepam today after I told him of my anxiety. My nurse g/f said "Thats a pretty strong pscyhc med, she was suprised he wrote them. After taking one I'm not anxious, but it is pretty powerful which I suspect will taper off when I get used to the medication. My concern is with income being sporadic for me now, I don't want to become ape-bat crazy if I run out and have to abruptly stop taking it. Any one had experience with this medication?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 03:02 PM

8,632 posts, read 14,246,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Buzzcut View Post
My doctor put me on clonazepam today after I told him of my anxiety. My nurse g/f said "Thats a pretty strong pscyhc med, she was suprised he wrote them. After taking one I'm not anxious, but it is pretty powerful which I suspect will taper off when I get used to the medication. My concern is with income being sporadic for me now, I don't want to become ape-bat crazy if I run out and have to abruptly stop taking it. Any one had experience with this medication?
Yes , it is primarily used when people have been using Xanax or other Benzo drug's for a long time. It is not uncommon to prescribe it ,in place of say Xanax as the drug is made up of the same mix, but is time released.. Many Doctors are using it these days for patient's that are or could be candidates for long term use of a stronger ,same family, drug. If you have serious anxiety and or depression the advantage of Clonazepam it can level out the effect, not like Xanax where you usually ( depending on dosage ) get a " good well being effect almost right away....which is good in the short term use for a short term trauma..All benzos are very addicting, however many people take them now and then when, they have an attack .Nothing better for those facing a long road to recovery who have type 3 depression, have it under control and want to start getting off the hard stuff, which again is the best, but , it can be in some people. addicting in a big way.
You do not have to worry, your doctor wants you to become less in need of drugs on a more even spread out basis. Most likely you will not know you have taken it, but , depending on your condition just having the bottle with you can give a calming effect. The ups and downs that the more aggressive drugs give , are just what the Doctor wants to get you away from, hence Clonazepam , say two to three times a day. 1 Mg each pill. There is no hurry to stop taking it, most people with depression-anxiety start out in a less than normal way, ( the reason you went to the Psyche in the first place, to be treated ! ) and good directly to the most powerful addicting drug, often given by a general , or family Doctor / intern .. The magic pill kinda, with the hope you will only use it when you have attacks.It usually does not work out that way. There are way too many people addicted to Benzo type drugs., but, they are effective !!, and needed, depending..... Your Doctor is doing the right thing i think as he just wants to even you out, then maybe one day you can lessen the dosage a little at a time with no effect of what you call " Ape-bat crazy" . LOL Never stop taking any drug cold turkey. Follow your Doctors advice always !.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:44 PM

1,711 posts, read 2,722,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Yes , it is primarily used when people have been using Xanax or other Benzo drug's for a long time. It is not uncommon to prescribe it ,in place of say Xanax as the drug is made up of the same mix, but is time released.. Many Doctors are using it these days for patient's that are or could be candidates for long term use of a stronger ,same family, drug. If you have serious anxiety and or depression the advantage of Clonazepam it can level out the effect, not like Xanax where you usually ( depending on dosage ) get a " good well being effect almost right away....which is good in the short term use for a short term trauma..All benzos are very addicting, however many people take them now and then when, they have an attack .Nothing better for those facing a long road to recovery who have type 3 depression, have it under control and want to start getting off the hard stuff, which again is the best, but , it can be in some people. addicting in a big way.
You do not have to worry, your doctor wants you to become less in need of drugs on a more even spread out basis. Most likely you will not know you have taken it, but , depending on your condition just having the bottle with you can give a calming effect. The ups and downs that the more aggressive drugs give , are just what the Doctor wants to get you away from, hence Clonazepam , say two to three times a day. 1 Mg each pill. There is no hurry to stop taking it, most people with depression-anxiety start out in a less than normal way, ( the reason you went to the Psyche in the first place, to be treated ! ) and good directly to the most powerful addicting drug, often given by a general , or family Doctor / intern .. The magic pill kinda, with the hope you will only use it when you have attacks.It usually does not work out that way. There are way too many people addicted to Benzo type drugs., but, they are effective !!, and needed, depending..... Your Doctor is doing the right thing i think as he just wants to even you out, then maybe one day you can lessen the dosage a little at a time with no effect of what you call " Ape-bat crazy" . LOL Never stop taking any drug cold turkey. Follow your Doctors advice always !.
Thanks for the info, I was reluctant to get on another Benzo after I had taken Valium for almost 2 years to control muscle spasms. I quit the Valiums for 90 days. He prescribed me .5 mg, 2x a day on the Clonazepam and I just noticed there's 5 more refills, so I won't half to worry about running out for a long time. I'm impressed so far, a little lethargic right after taking one, but once it wore off a little I had energy.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Buzzcut View Post
Thanks for the info, I was reluctant to get on another Benzo after I had taken Valium for almost 2 years to control muscle spasms. I quit the Valiums for 90 days. He prescribed me .5 mg, 2x a day on the Clonazepam and I just noticed there's 5 more refills, so I won't half to worry about running out for a long time. I'm impressed so far, a little lethargic right after taking one, but once it wore off a little I had energy.
Glad I could help. Your dosage is quite low, about 1 MG a day. I started out 3-4 MG for over a year, now down to 2 MG a day. I cut pill in half then try that for 3 months. My Doc was quite OK with 3 MG a day,any more than that would not be useful anyway. Most people show little or no after effect as it's a time released form of the drug you were(in my case)taking. I tried Valium but for some reason it did not help me. My drug of choice was Xanax , it can easily get out of hand with the highs, so you start taking more, and you are on your way... Clonazepam is the right choice , I have not had any Xanax for over 2 years, and the bottle is full in my cabinet . I took Xanax for more than 10 years off and on with no addiction, or so I thought, along with no more cigars or booze. Those I quit cold turkey , no withdrawal problems, every ones different. Good luck, you are on the right track.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:39 PM

18,847 posts, read 32,797,512 times
People can get psychologically dependent on anti anxiety medication. Not addicted...but a dependence...I suggest a complete examination of your life and the root cause of the anxiety...and make some changes.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
People can get psychologically dependent on anti anxiety medication. Not addicted...but a dependence...I suggest a complete examination of your life and the root cause of the anxiety...and make some changes.
And just what are your credentials for you to make the statements you did? We would to know, it sure is not a medical one, I see you are not informed on Benzo's for starters.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:36 AM

14,545 posts, read 18,253,157 times
Somewhere in my records is a note not to give me anti-anxieity meds. I'm not sure where, but they said I wasn't a good candititate. When I needed something they gave me serequel. When Jasper said dependence, it means when you get upset, instead of sitting down and trying to stop it yourself you pop a pill. I think that was what they were worried with me. Actually since I hate taking pills its the opposite. But I was living in a household where my landlords had the nightly screaming fight, all the kids crying and I'd grab the bottle to shut them up and get them out of my head. I have past abuse problems so it was a very bad situation.

I'd put on headphones and play a game on the computer in very zoned out mode (25 mg of serequell zoned me out to la la land, as I over react to all meds). Eventually they'd quit and go to their respective parents houses and by then I was too zoned to care.

It was about then, when I was using far more than every before, that I started having fainting spells, or something like that, when for hours I couldn't get up I was so dibilitated. Since the doctor wasn't there when they happened she couldn't figure out what caused them or what was happening.

But I kept popping the pills when I got upset.

After I finally moved, I hadn't lived there long and it was peaceful and quiet. But I head someone having an argument, and started to feel upset/flashback and took a pill. I realized very shortly after I started to pass out. Went to bed and even hours later I felt drained.

Then I'd been cooking and it happened. My new neighbors included a wonderful 80 year old woman and her dirtbag of a son who screamed at her when she didn't do what he told her.

Second time I'd been cooking something, and hurried to lay down without truning off the burner. Fourtnately it wasn't dry and on very low. I could barely walk when I turned it off and collapsed.

I quit taking serequel. When I got the interntet again I looked it up and it causes in some cases sudden drops in blood pressure and fainting. Bingo. Never took another one.

But it was SO HARD when the jerk was screaming since I'd gotten to rely on my pill out. I had to learn to deal with my own memories and the situation over taking a pill. It would have actually been MUCH better if I'd have done that long before.

If someone has anxiety, sometimes there is a reason for it. If the pill just makes you feel all better, maybe you never understand why. That is the dependence, the ability to avoide learning to deal with things over just making them vanish.

Especially that they use very strong stuff, its important to also see why the anxiety is there. You can't live on them your whole life, and eventually have to look at why. Pills should be for the times when its really needed, not the times you just don't want to deal since it just makes it harder to do that.

Old 08-10-2012, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Somewhere in my records is a note not to give me anti-anxieity meds. I'm not sure where, but they said I wasn't a good candititate. When I needed something they gave me serequel. When Jasper said dependence, it means when you get upset, instead of sitting down and trying to stop it yourself you pop a pill. I think that was what they were worried with me. Actually since I hate taking pills its the opposite. But I was living in a household where my landlords had the nightly screaming fight, all the kids crying and I'd grab the bottle to shut them up and get them out of my head. I have past abuse problems so it was a very bad situation.

I'd put on headphones and play a game on the computer in very zoned out mode (25 mg of serequell zoned me out to la la land, as I over react to all meds). Eventually they'd quit and go to their respective parents houses and by then I was too zoned to care.

It was about then, when I was using far more than every before, that I started having fainting spells, or something like that, when for hours I couldn't get up I was so dibilitated. Since the doctor wasn't there when they happened she couldn't figure out what caused them or what was happening.

After I finally moved, I hadn't lived there long and it was peaceful and quiet. But I head someone having an argument, and started to feel upset/flashback and took a pill. I realized very shortly after I started to pass out. Went to bed and even hours later I felt drained.

Then I'd been cooking and it happened. My new neighbors included a wonderful 80 year old woman and her dirtbag of a son who screamed at her when she didn't do what he told her.

Second time I'd been cooking something, and hurried to lay down without truning off the burner. Fourtnately it wasn't dry and on very low. I could barely walk when I turned it off and collapsed.

I quit taking serequel. When I got the interntet again I looked it up and it causes in some cases sudden drops in blood pressure and fainting. Bingo. Never took another one.

But it was SO HARD when the jerk was screaming since I'd gotten to rely on my pill out. I had to learn to deal with my own memories and the situation over taking a pill. It would have actually been MUCH better if I'd have done that long before.

If someone has anxiety, sometimes there is a reason for it. If the pill just makes you feel all better, maybe you never understand why. That is the dependence, the ability to avoide learning to deal with things over just making them vanish.

Especially that they use very strong stuff, its important to also see why the anxiety is there. You can't live on them your whole life, and eventually have to look at why. Pills should be for the times when its really needed, not the times you just don't want to deal since it just makes it harder to do that.
It is obvious that you did not have Panic attacks, they can be very rough on a lot of people. They mimic a heart attack,which makes things worse for yourself and those around you.I can't tell you how many times I have been taken to the ER wherever I lived. When someone sees you doubled over in chest pains, they always cal for the EMC. You have no choice, they haul you off, sometimes you know it will pass in a couple hours or so, , other times it worries yourself and welcome the " help" you are getting. Always after hours of tests you go home. I have had this for 40 or more years, its been diagnosed as Chrons, IBS , gas, and just a general gastro problem. I think it often runs in a family, and in the old days it was always called gas, there is very little help other than Benzos , in the past treatment was often" diet pills " uppers, etc which are little used today. I know jet pilot's in the military always have some handy, if for no other reasion to keep them awake of cross ocean flights where they may be committed to staying awake and focused for 14-16 hours or more. Sometimes the drugs will put you to sleep, other times and other people they reacted just the opposite. Awake and alert. They were in the old days rampant and regularly used by truck drivers for long trips, again the focus part was always part of it along with those of us who had these attacks. There is no rime or reason, or really any accurate diagnose by the medical community. Some people can go for many years without and attacks, others have problems with this on a regular basis.
There is a difference as to when and what for the meds are prescribed. Sometimes it is colitis, depending on the gastro guy you are going to. ( thats my current status ) Not an exact science in any case as meds effect people differently . Every doctor has a different way to treat what you have, and , sometimes it can be a mental thing, or a simple medical IBS type approach. It is also the possibility that for some people there is a combo of things, both physical corrective diagnosed to pure anxiety and depression. .

Old 08-10-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post

Your life experiences do go a long way towards understanding the problem, FOR YOU, that is. There is no one size fits all when it comes to emotional distress. Usually people start out on one drug, then progress as things get worse. Much has to do with the understanding of your problem by your medical professional. Unfortunately there is no system in this country for Doctors, councilors among other staff to share records. I have found that demanding the reports be sent to all the medical professional will go a long way for everyone to try and understand your problem. You would think that the ER shares their recorts, think again, they do not ! . I know its shameful, a little more work, whatever the lame excuse they all use the same one, invasion of your civil rights....I always get copies and personally distribute to all my doctors regardless as to what it may or may not mean to them.

Old 08-10-2012, 03:05 PM

14,545 posts, read 18,253,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
It is obvious that you did not have Panic attacks, they can be very rough on a lot of people. They mimic a heart attack,which makes things worse for yourself and those around you.I can't tell you how many times I have been taken to the ER wherever I lived. When someone sees you doubled over in chest pains, they always cal for the EMC. You have no choice, they haul you off, sometimes you know it will pass in a couple hours or so, , other times it worries yourself and welcome the " help" you are getting. Always after hours of tests you go home. I have had this for 40 or more years, its been diagnosed as Chrons, IBS , gas, and just a general gastro problem. I think it often runs in a family, and in the old days it was always called gas, there is very little help other than Benzos , in the past treatment was often" diet pills " uppers, etc which are little used today. I know jet pilot's in the military always have some handy, if for no other reasion to keep them awake of cross ocean flights where they may be committed to staying awake and focused for 14-16 hours or more. Sometimes the drugs will put you to sleep, other times and other people they reacted just the opposite. Awake and alert. They were in the old days rampant and regularly used by truck drivers for long trips, again the focus part was always part of it along with those of us who had these attacks. There is no rime or reason, or really any accurate diagnose by the medical community. Some people can go for many years without and attacks, others have problems with this on a regular basis.
There is a difference as to when and what for the meds are prescribed. Sometimes it is colitis, depending on the gastro guy you are going to. ( thats my current status ) Not an exact science in any case as meds effect people differently . Every doctor has a different way to treat what you have, and , sometimes it can be a mental thing, or a simple medical IBS type approach. It is also the possibility that for some people there is a combo of things, both physical corrective diagnosed to pure anxiety and depression. .
No, though I have had a few. I was simply putting in context that use of a 'fix' can get to be too easy and used when it doesn't need to be. But it was simply wrong for the doctor to leave me on the drug while I was developing cataracs when its a known problem. I even ask about it and he said no, that wouldn't effect it. So I have little trust of what doctors say anymore.

As for colitus, I developed this at 18. The doctor said I was 'imagining' it but it was the progressive form and I was housebound, hardly gettting out of bed except to sit in a chair downstairs the last couple years. It took away seven years of my life. I weighted 85 pounds at the time of the surgery, which was basically emergency and highly risky. I was told the doctor should have been sued over his claim it was 'mental'. I wish my parents had...

Are you saying your being given it for colitus? I took something for spasms, a tiny blue pill, for a time, but it knocked me so flat that it was of very limited help.

If something is needed for panic, then yes, it should be given. But I think too often in the overburdeoned system it is used to pacify people who maybe should not be given a 'quick fix' but that would take more available resources and longer appointments and perhaps a therapist or two.

I'm sure most take them responsibly. But I'm also sure some take them when not needed, since its nice to feel good and make what your mind is yelling at you to resolve just go away. This should not be ignored as a possibility, especially if someone takes a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or