U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 03:17 PM

14,545 posts, read 18,242,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Your life experiences do go a long way towards understanding the problem, FOR YOU, that is. There is no one size fits all when it comes to emotional distress. Usually people start out on one drug, then progress as things get worse. Much has to do with the understanding of your problem by your medical professional. Unfortunately there is no system in this country for Doctors, councilors among other staff to share records. I have found that demanding the reports be sent to all the medical professional will go a long way for everyone to try and understand your problem. You would think that the ER shares their recorts, think again, they do not ! . I know its shameful, a little more work, whatever the lame excuse they all use the same one, invasion of your civil rights....I always get copies and personally distribute to all my doctors regardless as to what it may or may not mean to them.
I object to the idea of electronic records being distrubuted to anyone who seems to qualify since the cyber safeguards are just not up to protecting privacy, but I know what you mean. I had a useless surgery a few years ago which was done the wrong way, and returned in three months to the problem, since I couldn't get records and the surgeon just ignored me when I told him the origional doctor had said it couldn't be done the 'easy' way. It's still not 'fixed' since I'm not going to risk a worse situation.

And for me it was not easy to find a way out, but I did by myself. It would have helped if there had been a therapist but there wasn't one so I dealt. Not everyone can, I know, but I still think we over use pills simply because its easier for a crowded system to move them in and out fast that way. Which does no service to anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 05:22 PM

8,632 posts, read 14,241,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I object to the idea of electronic records being distrubuted to anyone who seems to qualify since the cyber safeguards are just not up to protecting privacy, but I know what you mean. I had a useless surgery a few years ago which was done the wrong way, and returned in three months to the problem, since I couldn't get records and the surgeon just ignored me when I told him the origional doctor had said it couldn't be done the 'easy' way. It's still not 'fixed' since I'm not going to risk a worse situation.

And for me it was not easy to find a way out, but I did by myself. It would have helped if there had been a therapist but there wasn't one so I dealt. Not everyone can, I know, but I still think we over use pills simply because its easier for a crowded system to move them in and out fast that way. Which does no service to anyone.
Yes I have seen the elderly being put on Xanax just to shut them up.My mother in law at 90 was given Xanax as a ...well i don't know.She had a bad medical team. When she went into the hospital for a procedure they would not give her Xanax, so she went cold turkey, from 3 pills a day for a couple of years to o zip. She had a ruff time getting over the loss of the Xanax. A real mind trip similar to LSD ( as I was told). Now her well off son has taken over. She is close by, in assisted living,and sees the Doc that her son uses for all the family. He gets a retainer up front every year, fact is this Doc only handles " private" care . He has a closed practice with just a few wealthy paying big, and I mean Big!... for the care they want, and need by the way. Its interesting how money can save your life. If you got the cash, you get the care first class ! I find the whole process disgusting .

Old 08-10-2012, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Yes I have seen the elderly being put on Xanax just to shut them up.My mother in law at 90 was given Xanax as a ...well i don't know.She had a bad medical team. When she went into the hospital for a procedure they would not give her Xanax, so she went cold turkey, from 3 pills a day for a couple of years to o zip. She had a ruff time getting over the loss of the Xanax. A real mind trip similar to LSD ( as I was told). Now her well off son has taken over. She is close by, in assisted living,and sees the Doc that her son uses for all the family. He gets a retainer up front every year, fact is this Doc only handles " private" care . He has a closed practice with just a few wealthy paying big, and I mean Big!... for the care they want, and need by the way. Its interesting how money can save your life. If you got the cash, you get the care first class ! I find the whole process disgusting .
Very unfortunate about the xanax, and cold turky, but she'd definately a lucky woman. When my dad was in a nursing home since he couldn't walk, and I couldn't care for him, I finally got the doctor. I asked him what was wrong with my dad. He said he's just old. Lots of stuff old people have. The idea was quite clear that there was no big deal about it, and not much to do. He was riddled with cancer and fortunately died of an infection gone septic not long after that. It was a blessing.

Right now I'm in a crisis or such, and really just wanted to take something and feel it was going to be all better. But that would mean I would wait to do anything. I made a few phone calls. Not much to do on a Friday afternoon, but I'm going to sit when I'm over the surprise and just make a list of things to do. I took two stjohn wart capsuls, but it just made me zoned so no more of that. But that sense of panic is just hanging out there where I can still feel it. I'm going to let it stir me on and get done what has to be done.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:26 AM

14 posts, read 23,971 times
Well that was an interesting post. But maybe i am being a little paranoid. I am not sure if any one else noticed but the reference to poor and high crime is some what prejudicial. I really would not have posted this until I read the remark about "Characters" like the photo that was posted. Did any any any one read the "fine" print below the picture? This is a picture of a celebrity not to mention I recognize the actor who is one of the Wayans brothers , both very popular actors who's films I have seen. There for how is it this picture represents a "character" in your store? Could it be the color of his skin? Something to think about. Just could not let this one slip by.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:29 AM

14 posts, read 23,971 times
My posts are evidently not working

Old 08-11-2012, 01:30 AM

44,246 posts, read 54,915,582 times
Um.
If I was working in a shady part of town with shady customers, I would NOT want to be on any meds that might cloud my mental acuity, reflexes, or judgment one bit.

Change jobs.

Old 08-11-2012, 02:47 PM

8,632 posts, read 14,241,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Um.
If I was working in a shady part of town with shady customers, I would NOT want to be on any meds that might cloud my mental acuity, reflexes, or judgment one bit.

Change jobs.
Lets face the truth, we are "take a pill and move on" mentality, not just in the States but the whole world. Much to do with proliferation of meds to handle almost everything you have. In some cases , as I said befor there are perfectly healthy people that take drugs on occasion, like truck Drivers ( I had a prescription) and driving the nite shift 400 miles, 10-12 hours, it was necessary to stay alert , and awake. Thats the way my Doc thought, and he was right, I do not think I could have done what I did , nite after nite without " stay a wake" pills. The Air Force, NASA , all branches of the Military do also for mostly the same reason. Way too many people see drugs as something recreational when it comes to ones that keep you awake, alert,and when we are sick, for anxiety and Depression nothing could be further than the truth. Many of us who are fighting a battle of the mind and of the body see these powerful meds. as a gift from heaven ! If anything they enhance your ability, your reflexes , and judgement. I got many creative ideas driving through the night, I always kept a pencil and pad next to my side on the " doghouse". There is a time and place for most all legal meds, including weed, pot or what ever you call it these days. There are medical reasons for that too, but not in the text I stated above.

Old 08-11-2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Lets face the truth, we are "take a pill and move on" mentality, not just in the States but the whole world. Much to do with proliferation of meds to handle almost everything you have. In some cases , as I said befor there are perfectly healthy people that take drugs on occasion, like truck Drivers ( I had a prescription) and driving the nite shift 400 miles, 10-12 hours, it was necessary to stay alert , and awake. Thats the way my Doc thought, and he was right, I do not think I could have done what I did , nite after nite without " stay a wake" pills. The Air Force, NASA , all branches of the Military do also for mostly the same reason. Way too many people see drugs as something recreational when it comes to ones that keep you awake, alert,and when we are sick, for anxiety and Depression nothing could be further than the truth. Many of us who are fighting a battle of the mind and of the body see these powerful meds. as a gift from heaven ! If anything they enhance your ability, your reflexes , and judgement. I got many creative ideas driving through the night, I always kept a pencil and pad next to my side on the " doghouse". There is a time and place for most all legal meds, including weed, pot or what ever you call it these days. There are medical reasons for that too, but not in the text I stated above.
This is true. We've always been a drug using society. Men who worked burtally hard jobs all their life way back when got by with some ale or home brew at the end of the day, or as a pick me up. "Patented' medicines were the respectable ladies brew, officially 'medicine' but often alchol with a few opiates laced in it. Midwifes told over stressed mothers to give crying babies a drop of laudinum, made from opium, to quiet their crying.

Nobody thought of it as bad until the side effects of drunken husbands and hungry kids since dad drank his wages were brought out. Then there was the yingyang switch to all being bad which were easing ourselves out of.

If possible, a middle ground is what we need. If you want a beer after dinner to relax for the evening, sure, or maybe a joint. If you have to drink to function, then its too far. Ditto the joint. Ditto LEGAL drugs handed out as candy.

I see most drugs as no different than the ladies sip of her bottle of 'medicine'. If it helped her cope with a lot of kids and work and a demanding man when he came home, then fine. And in moderation. If she ended up downing it just to cope with an uneventful day then not so fine. I'm glad that some find psych drugs help and let loose their creativity. Me, they killed it. I feel like rewriting the stuff I wrote then and labored over so hard. There is no emotional connection to them. It's like looking off at a screen, where what I do is draw one into my scenes and open up a window. Off them I have my free flow back. I quit making jewelry. I stopped drawing. I didn't do much writing until thanks to the oops we can't give you a refill til next month problem the clinic had, I started cutting the dose and saving up a stash for such contingencies and found less worked a lot better. Eventually that came down to none with careful control of triggers and stress.

I know I'm in a minority, but I also know I'm not alone. But there needs to be more than handing out pills. Before pills, should come a complete physical. What medical conditions exist? Equal and full consideration of the effect of medication on an existing condition should be made and its up to the patient who has to live with it what is allowed. If they say no, its no. They are not being uncoopretive, they are the ones who get to live with the results. And what makes like *matter* always matters. Why do people quit meds? Because someone made them take them, or wouldn't listen. Instead of here's your new pill it should be a discussion. When you walk into a pdoc's office, you don't give up all your rights of choice. And one should never assume they know all that should be known about the drug, mostly just what the manufactures say. And the very absolute minimum dosage that works, with other things which aren't drugs to supliment, needs to be the standard. Forget that 200 mg of lamictal is an 'effective' dose. On who? What if for one its 50 mg, and someone else its 300? Then the one that doesn't NEED more than 50 should not get it.

And if drugs are given, a full follow up needs to happen every month. This means either less pills or mor docs. People don't want to spend an hour a month on their health? Then they don't get any. Would you treat a cancer patient with chemotherapy with a do it yourself kit and say come back in three/four/six months? Something that resets your brain needs even closer watch and cooperation.

Part of the judgement should be the choice of the individual. If your not hurting yourself, and can function sufficently, those things which make life meaningful *should* and *do* matter. If a drug makes them all dissapear and life is meaningless, this is not of help, but of destruction.

I'd still question the use of keep awake drugs for those driving long hours. Piloting a jet fighter in a war, maybe you need to keep goingt, but the truck driver needs to stop and get some sleep. Just as I question those who live on over the counter things which say don't drive but they do. Reaction time, perception of the road, and other things are compromised. Pay truckers the same, but insist on a strict driving limit and let them sleep. There have been too many accidents where those who drive trucks or other vehicals who do not have sufficent perception of the road to be driving. Just like you shouldn't be driving and texting, eating your lunch, putting on makeup, or watching a movie.

After I removed them from my system I realized *I* had been a danger to the road when driving on meds. My attention span was minimal. My memory was shot. I commonly slept about three or four hours and stayed up for thirty six hours, and friends were worried. But the doctors solution was ambien? (took three, dumped the rest) I was lucky the car died and I quit driving after that. I think anyone taking them should have to be medically evaluated for safety before they get behind the wheel. Reaction time, sedation and awareness of surroundings matter most. We don't let people drink. Why do we when it comes in a pill?

Maybe this would make people think about the candy pill mentality big pharma pushes and doctors too happily go along with.

At the very least, those who do NOT like pills should be given the respect to seek other means of dealing with an illness. And if something is necessary to jumpstart a break, its and all meds are intended only short time and tapered off by the plan. And other methodologies should be encouraged which either eliminate or curtail the use of chemical controls for those that they work only by sedating. For three years that was the whole real effect I got from my pills until someone who knew me pointed it out and I demanded something else.

I think anyone on pills should have someone who knows them, who will give an honest answer, tell them how others see their behavior. You might be surprised. I've found you can tell if someone is on meds you knew before since the meds change them so much, and the person they were beyond the illness can get lost in the shuffle.

And I happen to agree that in a dangerous area where you need ALL your radar working, taking a pill that lulls you is dangerous to yourself. You need every survial instict on, not shut down.

(Maybe a chain mail shirt under the uniform. No kidding here. An SCA friend did that. The weapon of choice was knives, and when he jumped up after an intended robber with the knife stuck in his shirt, with the nearest heavy object to throw, they left and never bothered him again.)

Old 08-11-2012, 05:37 PM

44,246 posts, read 54,915,582 times
Naw. If your life is so stressful, etc, that you need that 'pick me up' at the end of the day to drown your stress/sorrows, etc, you need to change your life.

Good healthy foods, exercise, camaraderie, hobbies (zen stuff like gardening or model building, etc)...I fell into the trap of uppers (caffeine) and downers (alcohol), especially with the INSANE schedule I have (nights days night days nights days rinse repeat)...it's a trap and you can't live that way. Now I keep up with the same schedule, but I use natural, constructive strategies. Tough workouts 4 times a week (or more). Clean eating. Good sleep hygiene. Fitting in time with family and friends. And I actually get through it a lot better.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:04 PM

1,798 posts, read 2,435,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Um.

Change jobs.
I've applied for many jobs but I don't get a call back. It takes a while to find another one. In the meantime I'm getting closer to having a Bachelor's degree in business, and will eventually work in a nice safe office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
And I happen to agree that in a dangerous area where you need ALL your radar working, taking a pill that lulls you is dangerous to yourself. You need every survial instict on, not shut down.
About the best survival skill you can have in my job is to not eyeball the robber when he has that gun pointed at you. You don't want to give him any reason to shoot you. You open that cash register for him, and pray to god you make it through alive. Trust me I've been through one. My store has been robbed three times since I've worked there.

Anyway I'm not taking a sedative type of drug, just some Zoloft to help with my general anxiety, depression, and OCD.

Last edited by New Horizons; 08-11-2012 at 07:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or