Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 08:39 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,021,537 times

Advertisements

I think I did good, I walked into a general health clinic and set up an appointment with their in house psychiatrist next week. The place is not fancy, almost reminds me of a detox center. They even have a sliding income scale to assist in costs. I told the people at the desk I once took Zoloft and that I'm interested in getting on an antidepressant again, mostly for my anxiety. They were like, "oh yeah, we prescribe that stuff". Maybe the stuff will help me with my OCD too. At night I have to check each lock like 5 times, faucets, light switches etc. Get up to use the toilet, then check them all again.

I'll keep you all updated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 12:13 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,986,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 cats View Post
propanolol or buspar are much safer than benzos and work for most people in your situation
Propranolol can produce chest tightness and pain as well as difficulty breathing. That what happened to me when I took it, thats about the last thing one with severe anxiety needs. Buspar doesnt have a great track record for helping with serious anxiety. I found it completely worthless.

Clomipramine is an older antidepressant and also prescribed for OCD. You might find an OCD forum of some help also. OCD Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Good luck to you, New Horizons.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:50 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
Propranolol can produce chest tightness and pain as well as difficulty breathing. That what happened to me when I took it, thats about the last thing one with severe anxiety needs. Buspar doesnt have a great track record for helping with serious anxiety. I found it completely worthless.

Clomipramine is an older antidepressant and also prescribed for OCD. You might find an OCD forum of some help also. OCD Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Good luck to you, New Horizons.
I have to agree about buspar it has little effect. One of the chemicals the brain produces is Seratonin. Many of these drugs can cause an overload , by creating too much Seratonin which can wind you up in the ER. The antidote is a simple antihistamine but in the meantime the effects can be quite bad, but not in all people.I think a better choice would be bupropion xl , but Everyone's different. The best drug I have found for weaning you off benzos is clonazepam. It will take a while as you lower your intake, maybe at some point be free of the need to take them, or a Xanax , which if used in very controlled conditions is the best, maybe the only thing that will bring a person back from a severe attack, one that can mimic a heart attack with chest pains, sweaty palms, fear of the unknown, etc.

Old 07-22-2012, 07:26 PM

I think I'm bottling a lot of depression too. I've just learned to live with it for so long, that it's normal for me. The depression bouts hit hard on my days off work, especially when I'm out of school. It should be a nice time of rest and relaxation. I took my scooter out to the beach today, walked up to the water and that's as far as I went. I came home and curled up into the fetal position in my bed. For one thing I hate where I live. There is something about the gulf coast of Florida that is the OPPOSITE of anything progressive. The people at the beach had that look of bad genetics and pasty, sunburned skin. And they just sit out there and fry themselves in the sun. Then they go into that hot gulf and waddle around like porpoises. Their voices had that rough sound of a cigarette smoker.

But, I'm stuck here for about another year and half or so. My plan is once I finish college I'm heading out west, either to California or Arizona. I love it out there, it's so beautiful and has a wonderful energy. Even Phoenix had a better vibe than where I currently live. My parents would join me out west too, but their waiting for me to finish college. My mother has bad asthma, triggered by this humidity. I'm going as fast as I can, but she keeps getting heavier and more out of breath. It's like some video game, if I don't go fast enough she's going to die and game over. Same with my dad, he's getting old too.

I don't have a single friend other than family members. I'm sure not going to meet any at work. They're poor blacks from broken families. They think I'm some spoiled white kid from the suburbs. I'm not going to meet any women at work either, the customers are ghetto chicks that stink of cigarettes and have gold teeth. And honestly, I don't even care about sex. If they put me on some medication that kills my erection, that would be just fine with me.

I don't really know who my peers should be at this point in my life. My twenties and much of my thirties were spent boozing it up and doing drugs (hence why I'm working at a pawn shop at my age), so I always had people to hang with. I didn't go the twelve-step route so I don't have that "turn-key" social circle. But I've been clean for nearly three years now so I must be doing something right.

I'm progressing towards my goals. But I think my depression and anxiety is robbing me of a lot of my potential. For instance I'd like to be taking three classes instead of two. But I need to be in a more positive state of mind. What happens is I'll freak out while studying. I'll literally jump up from my desk and have a temper tantrum. It's like I can't concentrate because I'll start thinking about all those other aspects of my life that I mentioned.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:28 PM

Default It's On

I met with the psychiatrist today and got prescribed an antidepressant. We decided on Paxil. The doctor threw out a couple of other options first, Zoloft, Celexa and Prozac. When I mentioned Paxil he was totally down with that too. His said it has a solid track record of relieving my symptons, including OCD. He also said that taken at night, it can make it easier to fall asleep. His only concern was that it might have more side effects than the others, and harder to ween off of. As far as sexual dysfunction, I told him that's the last of my worries, there's no sex in my life.

So I'm starting off on 20/mg a day and we'll see how it goes. This place is great too, not a bunch of mandatory therapeutic sessions. If I want counseling it's there if I need it, otherwise they will basically just manage my medication.

I'll let you all know how feel in the next week or so.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:04 PM

1,318 posts, read 5,272,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
I met with the psychiatrist today and got prescribed an antidepressant. We decided on Paxil. The doctor threw out a couple of other options first, Zoloft, Celexa and Prozac. When I mentioned Paxil he was totally down with that too. His said it has a solid track record of relieving my symptons, including OCD. He also said that taken at night, it can make it easier to fall asleep. His only concern was that it might have more side effects than the others, and harder to ween off of. As far as sexual dysfunction, I told him that's the last of my worries, there's no sex in my life.

So I'm starting off on 20/mg a day and we'll see how it goes. This place is great too, not a bunch of mandatory therapeutic sessions. If I want counseling it's there if I need it, otherwise they will basically just manage my medication.

Id recommend starting lower than 20. Start at least at 10 then sloooowly go up every 3 weeks or so.
Ive taken paxil if you would like to pm me.

Greenchili

Old 07-26-2012, 10:25 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenchili View Post
Id recommend starting lower than 20. Start at least at 10 then sloooowly go up every 3 weeks or so.
Ive taken paxil if you would like to pm me.

Greenchili
At some point he will have to reduce the amounts the same way. I think that Paxil is a Benzo , high :doses are where you want to start, to break the mood it would seem to me.. Most powerful as these drugs are, usually should not be taken for more than a couple weeks. They are highly addictive . Zanix being the top one, and offers the best effect in most people.. Often these drugs are used on a limited basis which can be very useful . Always remember Benzos can create more problems than they cure. Benzos are more addicting than heron and crack. People have been so addictive to them, to the point that the dependance becomes worse than what it is supposed to cure. Often the combos and witches brew are used for the worst kind of depression. It can take years to gradually get free of these drugs but it may be the only " answer " to the problem .

Old 07-27-2012, 05:17 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,794,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
At some point he will have to reduce the amounts the same way. I think that Paxil is a Benzo , high :doses are where you want to start, to break the mood it would seem to me.. Most powerful as these drugs are, usually should not be taken for more than a couple weeks. They are highly addictive . Zanix being the top one, and offers the best effect in most people.. Often these drugs are used on a limited basis which can be very useful . Always remember Benzos can create more problems than they cure. Benzos are more addicting than heron and crack. People have been so addictive to them, to the point that the dependance becomes worse than what it is supposed to cure. Often the combos and witches brew are used for the worst kind of depression. It can take years to gradually get free of these drugs but it may be the only " answer " to the problem .

Paxil is an SSRI drug.
What is Zanix? Do you mean Xanax? I can't trust what someone says if they can't get their information correct. Link please showing where Xanax is more addicting than heroin and crack.
Please check and double check and provide links to people so as to be of service to their needs and questions.

Old 07-27-2012, 05:20 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,794,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post

question for you and others in the know-----is that all one needs a psychiatrist for? To manage medicines?
I've had someone else recently say that is all their psychiatrist does. I was shocked. What happened to the days of them listening to and helping one sort out their thoughts,feelings,emotions??
Any doctor can prescribe meds

Old 07-27-2012, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
question for you and others in the know-----is that all one needs a psychiatrist for? To manage medicines?
I've had someone else recently say that is all their psychiatrist does. I was shocked. What happened to the days of them listening to and helping one sort out their thoughts,feelings,emotions??
Any doctor can prescribe meds
And if I had a doctor I would have just gone to him or her. But I don't, I haven't actually had a regular doctor since I was a small child. Now they do have a counselor at this clinic whom I spoke to first. She gave me a few pointers for handling my job, including looking for another one. But it's stuff I already knew I should be doing. But even she said the meds alone should help me alot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health