U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 08:10 PM

1,798 posts, read 2,433,822 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of seeing a psychiatrist about some serious anxiety I have. I can pinpoint the source too, my job. I work at a pawn shop in a poor, high crime area of town. Sometimes the store is crammed full of characters like the one in the photo. My pure instincts are to just to run out of the shop when confronted by them, but instead I'm required to reach out to them and solve their financial dilemma. Lately I've been having sharp chest pains that persist all day, and shortness of breath. I've been applying for other jobs but I can't seem to get a call back from anyone.

In the meantime maybe I should see about some anti-anxiety medication to help me through this tough time of my life. Outside of work I'm fine, I have a nice apartment, I go to college. I should be graduating in around 1.5 years. But in the meantime I might have to work this job till then.

I've been reading up on medications, and it seems to me one dose of a benzodiazepine at work would be sufficient to get me through the day. But then I was reading that benzodiazepines are really only intended for a few weeks. I need something that I can take for at least a year. Maybe an antidepressant would be the way to go, although depression isn't my primary problem.

A little about myself, I have had issues with drinking and coke/crack use in the past. About 10 years ago I was even on Zoloft. My family felt that with an antidepressant I wouldn't self medicate on alcohol and street drugs. Problem was I continued to take the Zoloft plus the drugs and alcohol, only difference was I didn't stress out about it. I weened myself off the Zoloft.

But I've been 100% clean and sober now for almost 3 years, I don't even smoke cigarettes. So naturally I've been very anti-drug regarding all these ads you see on TV, disgusted how there is a pill for every problem. It's only today that I've even given myself permission to consider anxiety meds. I mean the drug couldn't be any worse for my body than having chest pains all day! I know exercise would benefit me but I'm so tired after standing on my feet all day and hoisting huge TV sets around.

Any advise you all want to share? I'm afraid that holistic approaches won't work given my work circumstances. I think I'll make an appointment with a mental health doctor.
Attached Thumbnails
Anti-Anxiety Meds for a very tough time in my life-celebrities-plies-210871.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 08:48 PM

9,973 posts, read 17,888,753 times
Looks like you deal with some tough customers and while I read your OP I thought of the movie, The Sixth Sense. Did you ever see it? The young boy is extremely afraid of all these dead people he sees until the psychiatrist points out that they need help and when he figures out how to help them they're not so scary. My point is, do these people need help? Is there a way you can reach out to them? Like reach out with your heart and see if you can make a difference. If you're a Christian you can think of it as your ministry. That seems more constructive than drugging yourself to relax and I've found that if I reach out to people with my heart that they respond so much better and most people are kinder than they look and possibly kinder than the folks where you came from b/c they're used to looking out for each other in a dangerous environment. I think if you do that then you'll like the change in yourself b/c when you help folks you help yourself as well.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:38 PM

1,798 posts, read 2,433,822 times
I see what your getting at but I don't think I'm helping them much by lending them money at 300% APR, that's why they're broke in the first place. If I was to really help them I'd tell them to leave the store. But then I'd get fired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Looks like you deal with some tough customers and while I read your OP I thought of the movie, The Sixth Sense. Did you ever see it? The young boy is extremely afraid of all these dead people he sees until the psychiatrist points out that they need help and when he figures out how to help them they're not so scary. My point is, do these people need help? Is there a way you can reach out to them? Like reach out with your heart and see if you can make a difference. If you're a Christian you can think of it as your ministry. That seems more constructive than drugging yourself to relax and I've found that if I reach out to people with my heart that they respond so much better and most people are kinder than they look and possibly kinder than the folks where you came from b/c they're used to looking out for each other in a dangerous environment. I think if you do that then you'll like the change in yourself b/c when you help folks you help yourself as well.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:15 PM

18,847 posts, read 32,770,310 times
If your job causes you so much stress you need medication...it is time for a new job. Been there, done it. No job is worth it. Find something else. Yes...it is a hassle to look for work...but it improves your stress, just doing something that will get you out of there.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:26 PM

9,973 posts, read 17,888,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert_scene View Post
I see what your getting at but I don't think I'm helping them much by lending them money at 300% APR, that's why they're broke in the first place. If I was to really help them I'd tell them to leave the store. But then I'd get fired.
Yes I can see that but don't forget that a listening ear can go a long way. If all you ever did was listen to people who truly need to be listened to, it would be enough.

Old 07-14-2012, 12:21 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,726,206 times
I have a friend with the exact same symptoms and the doctor found that she has the beginning of emphysema. It may not be stress at all. Go to the doctor and find out what it is first.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:58 AM

24 posts, read 82,509 times
propanolol or buspar are much safer than benzos and work for most people in your situation

Old 07-15-2012, 05:02 PM

4 posts, read 6,269 times
You do NOT want to take pharmeceuticals-it's a trap. Big bucks for the industry! There have been recent studies/books reviewed by Marcia Angell in the New York Review of Books (archives at NYRB) that reveals the DSM V has been written by industry (really-Health Care INDUSTRY???? That's just Wrong) hacks that shift between goverment sinecures and private corporate jobs. What helps? Time and talking to friends, family. The drugs have unacceptable side effects and benzos are highly addictive and difficult to wean from.
Money in medicine is why I no longer have any desire to practice nursing.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:23 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,726,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 cats View Post
propanolol or buspar are much safer than benzos and work for most people in your situation
yes, Buspar is by far much better. It's non-addicting like the benzos are. benzos are a trap you don't want to get in on. Your doctor isn't doing you any favors by prescribing them.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:01 PM

8,632 posts, read 14,237,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_steak View Post
yes, Buspar is by far much better. It's non-addicting like the benzos are. benzos are a trap you don't want to get in on. Your doctor isn't doing you any favors by prescribing them.
Your statement about benzos is true, but for some people they are nessary . Many people survive with a Xanax from time to time. I know, been there done that. Seek professional help, depression,anxiety can onlybe treated with drugs. Busbar helps, but when you have an attack nothing helps like Benzos. Just hope you can use them on a limited basis. For those who have become dependent, once you are better, your Doctor can put you on a slow withdrawal time release meds. Panic attacts can be very tough, they also mimic same systems as a heart attack. Also people who have crones and or extreme IBS have these attacks. There are many ways treatment can be prescribed, don'think you can handle it alon, seek Professional help ACAP. Most if the problems with the mind are not curable, however some systems can go away for years......but it's with you the rest of your life, in different degrees depending on your problem, again , seek Professional help now !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or