Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 08:42 AM

64 posts, read 376,455 times

Advertisements

Lexapro, Abilify, Xanax. Are these medications the culprit behind my outrageous weight gain ?
My doctor says no, but my weight has ballooned to a whoping 254-lbs and I am really concerned and upset.

Is anyone else on medications that they think are causing weight gain ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 10:00 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,646,000 times
The medications you are taking can cause some weight gain as a side effect. Abilify lists weight gain as a common side effect. It can also cause some to gain an unusual amount of weight.

Since your doctor is denying that these meds can cause weight gain, he is probably assuming you are gaining weight from depression (eating too much).

I find most doctors don't know enough about the meds they prescribe. I would do some research and talk to your pharmacist.

Here is an article from a few years ago. You can also view the study from this article (2nd paragraph).

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/28/business/28psych.html

Here is some information on the side effects of Abilify where it mentions "some people experienced significant weight gain":

ABILIFY® (aripiprazole) Side Effects

Do not stop taking your meds, but talk to your doctor. It may be just one of the drugs. Perhaps try changing one medication at a time to see which one is causing the problem. If your doctor still won't listen to you, then you may want to find a new doctor who will work with you.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:46 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
The medications you are taking can cause some weight gain as a side effect. Abilify lists weight gain as a common side effect. It can also cause some to gain an unusual amount of weight.

Since your doctor is denying that these meds can cause weight gain, he is probably assuming you are gaining weight from depression (eating too much).

I find most doctors don't know enough about the meds they prescribe. I would do some research and talk to your pharmacist.

Here is an article from a few years ago. You can also view the study from this article (2nd paragraph).

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/28/business/28psych.html

Here is some information on the side effects of Abilify where it mentions "some people experienced significant weight gain":

ABILIFY® (aripiprazole) Side Effects

Do not stop taking your meds, but talk to your doctor. It may be just one of the drugs. Perhaps try changing one medication at a time to see which one is causing the problem. If your doctor still won't listen to you, then you may want to find a new doctor who will work with you.
When my meds had to be changed, back when I was taking them, I looked up the whole list. I arrived at my appointment with a printed list and highlighted those that can cause weight gain. I can NOT gain weight as I have an ileostomy and it could get damaged from that. I explained that. He nodded. He said it wasn't sure. Some just cause a little. I said a little was too much. He said he couldn't treat me and I should see someone else.

The someone else listened and didn't have a problem with it. We took out the ones that cause sugar cravings and food cravings too. But the buildup of weight from the origional meds caught up with me before I could lose it and someday if I have to I'll have to have a complete redo of the surgery. You can only fix them without it so many times. I currently choose to live with a dicey situation and one reason why I absolutely will not take meds is I absolutely can't take the chance of weight gain.

If the patient feels its a problem then the doctor should listen. If not, the patient MUST do the research and stand up for themselves. Say no if you think you should. Bring in your research. They'll say your being excessively cautious but who is the ultimate one who pays if you turn out to be right?

Old 07-16-2012, 02:11 PM

The problem here is I am finding alot of very conflicting information on the Internet regarding weight gain and medications. Based on that, I'm really not sure which of my medications is the culprit here. Depending on the website you visit, some say yes, Abilify and Lexapro cause weight gain. Other websites say No they do not. Research is fine, but be prepared to find alot of varying degrees of conflicting information, and based on that you will never find out the real truth.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugDaddyNJ View Post
The problem here is I am finding alot of very conflicting information on the Internet regarding weight gain and medications. Based on that, I'm really not sure which of my medications is the culprit here. Depending on the website you visit, some say yes, Abilify and Lexapro cause weight gain. Other websites say No they do not. Research is fine, but be prepared to find alot of varying degrees of conflicting information, and based on that you will never find out the real truth.
It is subjective, but also is the direct experience of users of the med. I reccomend this site as a source of that. Those who have not had the reaction probably won't be there, but those who do will be. See if you share some of it.

Unforutnately, a lot of meds effect different people in different ways and its not easily predictable.

Ask a Patient: Medicine Ratings and Health Care Opinions

Old 07-16-2012, 08:19 PM

1,289 posts, read 3,034,434 times
Quote:
It depends on the person and their degree of depression and a lot of other health and caloric intake issues. Lexapro is supposed to be an anti-depressant so theoretically it should not make a person gain weight...however, I did gain a lot of weight while on it, BUT I also had extreme depression going on at the same time.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_steak View Post
It depends on the person and their degree of depression and a lot of other health and caloric intake issues. Lexapro is supposed to be an anti-depressant so theoretically it should not make a person gain weight...however, I did gain a lot of weight while on it, BUT I also had extreme depression going on at the same time.
So, is what we're saying is that with severe Depression people tend to eat more food and eat more calories???
That is not my case. I am really watching my diet, so my food intake is not severe.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:50 AM

1,289 posts, read 3,034,434 times
Quote:
So, is what we're saying is that with severe Depression people tend to eat more food and eat more calories???
That is not my case. I am really watching my diet, so my food intake is not severe.
It has been shown that severe depression does cause people to eat more food, thus more calories. If you are watching your diet then you shouldn't be gaining weight.

I do know a young man that got on Trazadone and gained an enormous amount of weight. As soon as he got off of it he lost the weight. Apparently, that medication causes people to eat more.

If a SSRI causes a person's appetite to increase then they are going to eat more, thus gain weight. The medication itself can't possibly "make" a person gain weight, but it can increase a person's appetite, thus make them gain weight.

It's calories in more than calories out = weight gain
If it's calories in less than calories out = weight loss

Old 07-17-2012, 09:17 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Quote:
Lexapro, Abilify, Xanax. Are these medications the culprit behind my outrageous weight gain ?
My doctor says no, but my weight has ballooned to a whoping 254-lbs and I am really concerned and upset.

Is anyone else on medications that they think are causing weight gain ?
In most cases weight gains are caused by opening the mouth and shoveling food in it.

I take Lyrica, and I see from various internet forums that some people complain bitterly of weight gains, as if the Lyrica had added twenty or more pounds to their body weight.

No, the Lyrica made them very hungry...and it was a constant nagging hunger (I know, I had it), and they gave into it and shoveled food in like a hog at the trough and are now complaining that Lyrica caused them to gain weight.

No, eating caused them to gain weight. The answer is to take responsibility for what you eat and how much. I have now actually been able to loose weight while taking the Lyrica.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_steak View Post
It has been shown that severe depression does cause people to eat more food, thus more calories. If you are watching your diet then you shouldn't be gaining weight.

I do know a young man that got on Trazadone and gained an enormous amount of weight. As soon as he got off of it he lost the weight. Apparently, that medication causes people to eat more.

If a SSRI causes a person's appetite to increase then they are going to eat more, thus gain weight. The medication itself can't possibly "make" a person gain weight, but it can increase a person's appetite, thus make them gain weight.

It's calories in more than calories out = weight gain
If it's calories in less than calories out = weight loss
When I'm depressed I lose my appetite. I don't want to cook, but its late and I decide I should have something I'll be more likely to have icecream or a box of cookies than useful food. I never took trazadone, though I have a bottle of it which I never opened after looking it up. But I think its not just eating more but the kinds of foods eaten which make the biggest difference. On Remeron, which doesn't even mention weightgain, I gained a lot. But most of it was sugar. Cookies candy bars and the like. I craved it. It actually supressed my usually modest appetite. I've never been one to associate food with comfort.

If you associate food with comfort, all food, than I'd think your more likely to generally overeat. If you associate certain treats with it, then I think you'd overdose on those.

On nothing I have a very small appetite and weight gain with my snacks is not a problem.

Given the health risks of becoming overweight, this should be a consideration in which drugs are given and dosages modified or the drug changed if excessive weight gain is noted. What so much better about a happier short life dying of fat too soon? Patients should be given ALL this information and allowed to choose prior the meds. They also should at any time at their request be taken off a drug due to weight gain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health