U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 10:10 PM

10,002 posts, read 9,574,617 times

Advertisements

I have anxiety attacks or panic attacks ... not as often as I once did. It starts inside of me, throat gets dry, heart pounding and I break out sweating like crazy and then I can't seem to get my breath. One doc called them anxiety attacks and another doc calls them panic attacks. My attacks are never aimed at people, it's a battle I fight with myself.

The attacks didn't start until after I was involved in an accident. After that I had a difficult time getting into a vehicle without an attack (it's better now.) The first time I went into a grocery store after the accident ... got my grocery cart and drew a total blank was overwhelmed which lead to an attack. But it had nothing to do with any of the people in the store. I always tried to talk to myself in my head ... calm down ... stop this ... you can do this ... but I would lose the battle as the anxiety or panic took over.

Your situation does sound like paranoia. Tell your therapist everything and I sincerely hope you get relief from this. It's difficult when things are going on inside of a person and you realize ... heck something is wrong here but what!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 03:51 AM

3,572 posts, read 6,727,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
I have anxiety attacks or panic attacks ... not as often as I once did. It starts inside of me, throat gets dry, heart pounding and I break out sweating like crazy and then I can't seem to get my breath. One doc called them anxiety attacks and another doc calls them panic attacks. My attacks are never aimed at people, it's a battle I fight with myself.

The attacks didn't start until after I was involved in an accident. After that I had a difficult time getting into a vehicle without an attack (it's better now.) The first time I went into a grocery store after the accident ... got my grocery cart and drew a total blank was overwhelmed which lead to an attack. But it had nothing to do with any of the people in the store. I always tried to talk to myself in my head ... calm down ... stop this ... you can do this ... but I would lose the battle as the anxiety or panic took over.

Your situation does sound like paranoia. Tell your therapist everything and I sincerely hope you get relief from this. It's difficult when things are going on inside of a person and you realize ... heck something is wrong here but what!!!
That's odd. It's like you coasted through life with no big shocks and when one finally hit you didn't handle it very well at all and it's left permanent damage. I'm just throwing this out, but could this be posttraumatic stress disorder? I know a guy who saw his little brother get hit and killed by a car, which damaged him permanently, and his diagnosis is PTSD. And that sounds similar to what happened to you.

Old 07-22-2012, 11:41 AM

77 posts, read 162,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post

I have never problems being around people or panick attacks. I have these thoughts only with close friends but it's not recurrent either. If I feed it, it's horrible because I can't control it. It's a fear to the authority of friends or people with high positions, like my boss or someone that.
I'm sorry about your accident but good it's better now. I will see what it is. Thank you for your experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health