U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2012, 03:53 PM

3,672 posts, read 6,252,306 times

Advertisements

2-3 years ago i read a book about overprescribed psychiatric medications. the book focused on really extreme cases where the patient would be driven insane and commit crimes like murder and grand theft with no apparent motive. the focus of the book was on the malpractice cases and defense arguments that followed. in every case the patient was prescribed some ridiculously high dose/crazy combo of meds like klonopin, xanax, prozac, etc.

i remember one specific case where a successful doctor was the overmedicated patient. he felt compelled to steal construction equipment from a nearby construction site. he did this several times and parked the vehicles in his driveway or yard, with no financial incentive. another example in the very beginning was about a girl who fantasized of killing her mother after starting some anti-depressant. i dont think she ever did- this was just an example they used to get into their argument.

does anyone know what book im talking about? ive been googling but given that i dont remember the title or the names of any authors i'm stumped. i think it was relatively new when i read it, but not super new. maybe 3 years old. i dont know if it was a popular book or not. i picked it up randomly at the library when i was researching malpractice

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 10:02 AM

4,762 posts, read 11,671,942 times
If you search google.com and include the word "book" in the search along with unique words you remember from the book, you will find various pages which mention books along those lines.

With that said, search google.com for the following words and click on the links. Maybe one of those will name the title you are looking for...

book overprescribed psychiatric drugs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health