U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The Most Potent SSRI Available
citalopram (Celexa) 1 12.50%
fluoxetine (Prozac) 1 12.50%
paroxetine (Paxil) 1 12.50%
sertraline (Zoloft) 1 12.50%
escitalopram (Lexapro) 4 50.00%
fluvoxamine (Luvox) 0 0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 04:55 PM

10,570 posts, read 11,156,896 times

Advertisements

Don't want to insult anyone on these medications...But- In my view natural brain chemistry and make up is so complex and differs with each person that for the most part those that create these compounds are experimenting on people- To go into a doctors office and chat for 10 minutes then walk out and alter your brain is extreme..The trend seems to be- an attempt to change the person instead of change what is freaking out the person- People submerged in a toxic and stressful environment that is basically evil - are not at fault for depression.

Just look at the word depress...it means to cause an indent with an external force..If you can- change the world around you and don't let them change you to fit into an evil human environment. It's the easy way out. My daughter when she was young became depressed for a short period..I spoke to a very wise doctor about what was happening...The doctor...said one thing..."She is suffering from hopelessness".

HOPE - When lost is like losing the only thing of real value in your life- too wake up every day and believe that the day and the next day will be bright - is what keeps you going...I wish the best for all of you..If you can get off this stuff- gradually and with your doctors help. Find your way in life- have hope - have faith and don't be afraid. Just the thought of being enslaved by big pharma for a whole life time is scary...Some people actually suffer from guilt and remorse..not depression...deal with your mistakes....these drugs remove remorse...How can you make things right if you can't remember what you did wrong..?

If you take my suggestions beware of the whip lash effect of getting off of these compounds..It is dangerous and you need to be supervised by a doctor...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 06:00 PM

14,545 posts, read 18,253,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherBravesFan View Post
You might try splitting the pills in half (pill splitters are inexpensive). I assume you're on 10 mg? See how you tolerate 5 mg for a few days. My pharmacist told me to take Lexapro at night because it makes some people drowsy. I never felt drowsy, but I did get intense nausea with 10 mg at night. I switched to taking it with breakfast or lunch, and I felt somewhat better, but still dropped about 5 lb because I wasn't eating. When I called my MD to complain about the nausea, she told me I had to give myself a few weeks to adjust to the medicine before deciding it wasn't for me. After a month of on/off nausea, I dropped down to 5 mg/day and was so glad that I did. (I almost felt "too good" (i.e., unnaturally happy) on 10 mg... I am sensitive to meds, and like you, I don't like to take anything unless I am really in bad shape.) For me 5 mg was enough to get me through the day.

Good luck with it, and please don't feel like a failure. I suffered for over 2 years thinking surely I could overcome the depression, but after having talked to a couple of people who had taken anti-depressants with success, I decided to ask for help. I'm glad I did. 8 months later, I take 5 mg 3 times/week, and sometimes I even forget to take it and don't feel bad.
I'm glad this worked for you and you could tolerate the effects. I turned down several options since they effected the gut. Mine has had three surgeries, doesn't work right anyway, and meds could easily send me to the hospital. I was told (after explaining this) that I still should try. No thanks. I'd rather be depressed than on an IV in emergency.

But that 'too good' feeling. What I was taking (Welbrutain) was giving it to me but I just felt so good and so unbothered by problems which got left in the dust I never saw it until I quit. I suspect I also liked the 'high'. Even a small dosage, way below the norm, was making me disconnected so I live with the bad days if I have to.

I did try an experiment with St. John's Wort, 300 mg, european pharmasuitacal grade. One pill a day during the afternoon. First two months it was helping. Last month I began to notice nothing was getting done, with me not having an appetite (very very bad for me) and falling asleep at odd times. So I quit and after a few days it all stopped. This was a very small dosage of an AD, but if sensitive small doses count. I noticed the effects that went away were identical to the ones that did when I backed ever so slowly off the scripted kind.

If you take an AD, I think its wise to get reality checks from people who know you and see you often. Do you seem hyper? Do you seem too happy? Do you seem to push to the side the negative even when you shouldn't? Its actually pretty easy NOT to see it when its so good. Your doctor won't unless he lives next to you. But on meds, have someone you trust feel free to tell you without you feeling put upon that you are not acting fully in contact with reality.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:43 AM

1,261 posts, read 4,791,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Don't want to insult anyone on these medications...But- In my view natural brain chemistry and make up is so complex and differs with each person that for the most part those that create these compounds are experimenting on people- To go into a doctors office and chat for 10 minutes then walk out and alter your brain is extreme..The trend seems to be- an attempt to change the person instead of change what is freaking out the person- People submerged in a toxic and stressful environment that is basically evil - are not at fault for depression.

Just look at the word depress...it means to cause an indent with an external force..If you can- change the world around you and don't let them change you to fit into an evil human environment. It's the easy way out. My daughter when she was young became depressed for a short period..I spoke to a very wise doctor about what was happening...The doctor...said one thing..."She is suffering from hopelessness".

HOPE - When lost is like losing the only thing of real value in your life- too wake up every day and believe that the day and the next day will be bright - is what keeps you going...I wish the best for all of you..If you can get off this stuff- gradually and with your doctors help. Find your way in life- have hope - have faith and don't be afraid. Just the thought of being enslaved by big pharma for a whole life time is scary...Some people actually suffer from guilt and remorse..not depression...deal with your mistakes....these drugs remove remorse...How can you make things right if you can't remember what you did wrong..?

If you take my suggestions beware of the whip lash effect of getting off of these compounds..It is dangerous and you need to be supervised by a doctor...
There ARE other medical reasons why some take ADs..read some of my previous posts about tinnitus and you will see.

Old 08-25-2012, 05:04 PM

7,357 posts, read 8,352,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherBravesFan View Post
You might try splitting the pills in half (pill splitters are inexpensive). I assume you're on 10 mg? See how you tolerate 5 mg for a few days. My pharmacist told me to take Lexapro at night because it makes some people drowsy. I never felt drowsy, but I did get intense nausea with 10 mg at night. I switched to taking it with breakfast or lunch, and I felt somewhat better, but still dropped about 5 lb because I wasn't eating. When I called my MD to complain about the nausea, she told me I had to give myself a few weeks to adjust to the medicine before deciding it wasn't for me. After a month of on/off nausea, I dropped down to 5 mg/day and was so glad that I did. (I almost felt "too good" (i.e., unnaturally happy) on 10 mg... I am sensitive to meds, and like you, I don't like to take anything unless I am really in bad shape.) For me 5 mg was enough to get me through the day.

Good luck with it, and please don't feel like a failure. I suffered for over 2 years thinking surely I could overcome the depression, but after having talked to a couple of people who had taken anti-depressants with success, I decided to ask for help. I'm glad I did. 8 months later, I take 5 mg 3 times/week, and sometimes I even forget to take it and don't feel bad.

my life changed forever in 1998 and i have to live with that , im not depressed , ive only decided to go on theese for a while as ive been trading stocks like a mad man all summer ( used to just buy and hold ) , made quite a bit of money but im still stressed out from all the strategising and watching movements like a hawk , im not cut out for it at all , trouble sleeping at night as all i can think of is the following mornings oppening

its ok for those wall st sharks , unlike me , they have tonnes of white stuff to keep them alert

Old 08-25-2012, 05:13 PM

7,357 posts, read 8,352,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post

wonderfull post , i dont believe in this stuff about brain chemistry , people who are depressed are that way due to some seminal cataclysmic event or something which was done to them by someone in the past , meds cannot change your past so how are they really any different than using alcohol or other drugs to make you feel better , they are nothing but a respectable form of pain number , if some people are so low , they require such prescriptions but its a pretty grim picture , i cannot pretend that what was done to me did not happen yet society tells me i need to wipe away the truth by way of intake of various medicines

Old 08-28-2012, 03:45 PM

12,478 posts, read 15,469,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
wonderfull post , i dont believe in this stuff about brain chemistry , people who are depressed are that way due to some seminal cataclysmic event or something which was done to them by someone in the past , meds cannot change your past so how are they really any different than using alcohol or other drugs to make you feel better , they are nothing but a respectable form of pain number , if some people are so low , they require such prescriptions but its a pretty grim picture , i cannot pretend that what was done to me did not happen yet society tells me i need to wipe away the truth by way of intake of various medicines

oh to be perfect and mentally stable.......must be awesome

Old 08-29-2012, 10:39 AM

1,261 posts, read 4,791,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
Hahahahahaa!!!!!

Old 08-29-2012, 10:44 AM

13,515 posts, read 14,982,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
Oh, it's like the meds: it simply takes getting used to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health