U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2012, 07:52 PM

75 posts, read 244,553 times

Advertisements

I am at the point of asking for some help with my situation. There was a period of time in my life when I had a therapist for two years, but it did not help remove the symptoms--but it did make me "feel better" for a time, which was caused by avoiding the problems rather than facing the problems. I think part of the reason this therapy did not work is that I was, and still am, so afraid of changing anything. It seems like if I change anything, things become uncertain, could (and have when I've tried, many times before) get much, much worse. At this point, I cannot afford to "take a break" to recover when changing anything might cause me to crash. With this in mind, please help me determine what I actually might have...it has changed quite a bit from five years since therapy.

-I am worried about other people hurting me, but only if they know me. Usually this is because I'm concerned I may have offended or hurt them in some way, so they want to take revenge. This is actually due to someone trying to hurt me in a hidden way at one point in my life, and it's ruined my trust in people who know me, live with me, etc. Ex: I worry someone might poison my food, if they live with me--but I'm not worried about anyone I don't really know well! There's no typical paranoia attached to non-relationship situations at all.

-I find it VERY hard to deal with uncertain (ex: not sure how to get there, not sure who will be there, hard to say when it would end) events, and they include dealing with people or chatting. I'm never nervous around other people, necessarily, but feel a bit anxious around the actual situations. Never have panic attacks, am not afraid of public speaking/general social situations, but do feel so anxious I am likely to avoid unstructured situations even if NO ONE is there! OCD sounds like it may fit, but OCPD or anxiety...or social anxiety...?

-I feel burned out, for years. It's not that there's nothing enjoyable about life, as I'm generally happy. However, I feel "exhausted" mentally and use distractions to avoid any problems. Obviously, this makes my life very complicated. No amount of rest or mental vacations help, but trying to get back into things never lasts. It doesn't seem to fit depression, because I DO enjoy many things and dislike a few things, and yet I'm not sure what it might be.

To be honest, even my therapist had trouble diagnosing me back then, so any (obviously non-medical, not certified, etc.) help would be very appreciated.

Last edited by UTBabyGirl; 07-22-2012 at 08:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 10:53 AM

4,762 posts, read 11,682,091 times
Sounds like good old "fear" to me! (Fear can be good.)

Now I am afraid of spiders. And I don't think there is a whole heck of a lot ANYONE can do to make me not afraid of spiders!

With that said, people can overcome fears, but it is a slow process. For example some people are afraid of flying on airplanes, but need to for their jobs or whatever. So to resolve this they do not start out by taking a flight. Rather they start out with little steps...

Just drive by airport, then go home and rest.

Next drive to airport and walk inside, then go home and rest.

Next go to airport, walk inside, then look at plane through window. Then go home.

Etc.

Just take little steps that you are comfortable with. If at any time you feel uncomfortable, back off and go to a safe place.

Anyway that can take a lot of time. Don't allow anyone to force you into a situation you are not comfortable with...

Actually a bit of "Assertiveness Training" might be helpful? That would teach you to say NO to things / situations you are uncomfortable with.

Also search google.com for the word fear.

Here is one from Mayo Clinic which has good advice...
Phobias - MayoClinic.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or