U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2012, 08:47 AM

2,727 posts, read 5,500,677 times

Advertisements

I've got so much going on in my life, mainly health issues. Work is a big stress for me, and I've often thought about how nice it would be if I could take a break from work and get myself together. Of course the problem I run into is running out of money before finding another job (I would not take a leave from here, just quit altogether). I've got enough for 6-7 months to be okay (including health insurance), but I always think about the worst.

Has anyone succeeded in doing this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 10:27 AM

4,762 posts, read 11,671,942 times
When possible, I do like to take a break from stressful things.

I don't want to tell you to quit your job though! (Especially in these poor economic times.)

Are there other options? Maybe transfer to another job which is less stressful at where you work? Take a vacation? Work part-time or just a few days a week?

Some bosses are very understanding and accommodating with these things and will do what they can, if they can.

Other bosses could care less and it is all or nothing. Or maybe it is a small company and no other positions are available.

Counseling might be helpful too? Maybe, maybe not.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:32 PM

9,128 posts, read 6,539,969 times
Y E S

I often feel like I need everyone and everything to back up off of me so that I can gather myself physically and mentally. I need to get some perspective and a grasp of reality.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:00 PM

593 posts, read 1,269,474 times
When you are stressed out all the time, I read that your cortisol levels can't maintain that constant stress level. It's good to take a break, especially in these stressful times. Sometimes you don't know what's wrong until you're out of the vicious circle and looking in.

After a string of stressful events (2 deaths in the family, working long lonely hours at a company that was laying off people right and left, & an underlying brain condition that wasn't making anything easy), I took about 2.5 years off to get my head back on straight. I was financially able to, thank God because I was at my breaking point, having panic attacks and drinking a lot. Then I got a really good job and thought I was on my way back on track, had great plans, then a medical emergency happened and now I've been out of work almost 2 years again, this time it was involuntary. It was not what I wanted, but I needed it. My stress levels are very low now and I feel so much better mentally. I gave up drinking mostly and try not to watch so much TV and try to read and exercise more and eat more healthy. I never would've gotten here without the time off, but I kinda miss being "normal" and complaining about life like everyone else, I just have different things to complain about!

Old 07-24-2012, 07:27 AM

8,831 posts, read 10,238,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
I've got so much going on in my life, mainly health issues. Work is a big stress for me, and I've often thought about how nice it would be if I could take a break from work and get myself together. Of course the problem I run into is running out of money before finding another job (I would not take a leave from here, just quit altogether). I've got enough for 6-7 months to be okay (including health insurance), but I always think about the worst.

Has anyone succeeded in doing this?
I've got all the time in the world to get my **** together, and I still can't do it. I think you'd probably find out this was the case with you too if you're depressed. Good for you for being able to hold down a job feeling the way you feel, I never could do it and 5 years ago I went on disability. At least though you have a plan and could sustain yourself for a few months......me?? Not so much. I would just lose my ****, blow up, cuss everybody out and storm out the door with no thought or care about how I was going to support myself. Sooo many jobs, I've probably had near 100 over the years and of course I got fired from a few of them.

Anyway, if you're having physical health issues as well as mental, it may be best to hang onto your job if you're able until you at least get the physical part taken care of. But, then again if you will still have insurance if you quit then maybe you could do this.......I am obviously not the best example of how to hang onto a job or how to get your stuff together. Maybe just a leave of absence so you can give it a trial run without losing your job? Jobs are so difficult to find, I'd hate to see you quit and then not be able to find another job when you needed to.

Whatever you decide to do, I wish you all the best. You may be a lot different than me and be able to get it together fairly quickly and get back to work with no problems at all. I hope that's the case. Good luck.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:19 AM

15,423 posts, read 22,649,300 times
I felt like that last year. I had so much going on it was unbelievable. I felt if another pin dropped I would have a complete breakdown. I already had a mini breakdown one night and thought I just couldn't take it anymore. Unfortunately I wasn't at my job long enough to qualify for FMLA.

If you can take FMLA and quailify for short term disability that may be an option. You will have to get proof from a doctor in order to get paid and show you are under his/her care. I know it can make all the difference if you get that break.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:50 PM

18,847 posts, read 32,734,693 times
Don't do it! If you think your life is a mess now...the last thing you want any place is FMLA for a mental issue...

I suggest doing one thing at a time...maybe take a week off of work. Focus on some things...back to work...plan another week off in two or three months.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:56 AM

10,002 posts, read 9,573,697 times
You said 'health issues' and didn't specify physical or mental health issues. Will your employer accept a leave of absence with a statement from your doctor? I don't know how the job situation is in your area but it's tough where I live. I have two daughters unemployed due to lay-offs. Do you have any vacation time?

I use to get so stressed with family and work. No health problems just the pressures of living. I would try to read a newspaper and my brain couldn't comprehend what I was reading ... like my brain was full of so much junk. I would take time off from work and head for the beach. Take my beach chair out in the morning and sit there all day just watching the tide roll in and out ... nothing in my head but watching that water, not speaking a word to anyone, watching the sea gulls playing, drinking my water and whatever snacks I had. It sounds weird but I was always able to unwind and empty my head. The seasons didn't matter, I have been there in the winter all bundled up just renewing my mind and soul.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:32 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,967,555 times
I can relate to what you're saying. In fact, I feel that way right now. I'm in a job that I don't really care about and that doesn't pay anywhere near what I should be making at my age, and trying to get out of that job and into something better, as well as possibly moving to an area with a lower cost of living, are my top 2 goals, but day to day issues keep seeming to interfere and I feel like if I just didn't have to work, I could get a lot more done.

However, I know from past experience that this is not necessarily true. Back at the end of 2004, I lost my job (along with everyone else in the small company I was working for), and was given 3 months severance pay when I was let go. Instead of taking that extra money and putting it into the bank and immediately looking for another job, I decided to take time off to explore my options and possibly get into a different line of work. Well, I went through all of my severance pay, then filed for unemployment and went through all of my unemployment benefits too. Then I started going into my savings, because I still thought I could find something better than the work I was doing when I was let go. I went through several thousand dollars of my own money before I finally realized that I needed to get myself back to work, even if that meant doing a job that wasn't my "dream job".

As has already been mentioned in this thread, it is very risky in this economy to just quit your job without having anything else lined up. If you do decide to quit anyway, set yourself a maximum amount of time that you can be out of work, and when that time is up, get yourself right back to work, whether you have accomplished what you wanted to during your break or not. Set goals for what you wish to accomplish with your time off, and prioritize your tasks. Like Tom Hanks said in the movie Cast Away, "Let us not commit the sin of turning our backs on time".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or