U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is there a such thing as a normal life?
Yes there is a such thing as normal/standard. 19 55.88%
No there's no such thing as normal/standard. 15 44.12%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 07:13 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,243,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
who else thinks about DEATH every single day?
I think my Dad does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
I think I'm a normal person.

By normal I mean, no particular quirks, kinks, disabilities, or fears. Two arms two legs, good health. No criminal record. Average intelligence.

Nothing that threatens a normal lifestyle...by which I mean, get up, go to work, come home, go to bed. Repeat.

I have a car, a house, a couple of kids and a couple of pets. I'm not mean to anyone and I mind my own business.

That's too normal. Therefore, completey abnormal!

Old 08-16-2012, 08:26 PM

26,157 posts, read 16,106,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste
There is such thing as normal . It depends on certain things but everyone knows it exists
Im sorry but I dont!!!

"NORMAL" doesnt exist..... Its just a MADE UP WORD used to justify something being right or wrong..

MEANS JACK.......

Old 08-17-2012, 12:18 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,986 posts, read 5,908,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Im sorry but I dont!!!

"NORMAL" doesnt exist..... Its just a MADE UP WORD used to justify something being right or wrong..

MEANS JACK.......
yea whatever there is such a thing as normal..
it can apply to anything:

the normal symptons of a cold is runny nose,dry cough,sore throat
normally kids in america go to k-12 and maybe college
normally rent in nyc is high
normally men don't wear skirts
normally teens may have lots/some friends
normally people start driving at 16
normally a healthy person wouldn't be sad, or do self mulitation, or withdrawal

normal is whatever is most common for a particular thing, in a particular culture ,at a particular time period..

Old 08-17-2012, 02:25 AM

26,157 posts, read 16,106,464 times
A better word to use is "Regurally"

Old 08-17-2012, 08:50 AM

9,237 posts, read 19,613,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
A better word to use is "Regurally"
Is that Chinese?

Old 08-17-2012, 02:46 PM

...or typically?

Old 11-23-2013, 10:30 AM

1 posts, read 698 times
Normal and Weird are illusions, like everything else that makes up society. As long as you can communicate efficiently and the other party comprehends then you are "normal". Things that are foreign to people (abstract ideas and actions to them) are "weird". Tis because humans are creatures of habit. We love what is most familair and detest anything that is not, because of our Self-Defense mechanism - FEAR. End of Story! Good Day.

Old 11-23-2013, 12:15 PM

642 posts, read 992,162 times
The concept of normal is pretty relative - what's normal to one individual or group doesn't necessarily apply to others. People who consider their normal to be the ultimate standard remind me of people that say "I don't have an accent when I speak." Of course you do! That is, if you take your scope of perspective back a bit.

If there is a subjective normal then I guess I wouldn't fall into that category because when I'm in public I feel compelled to 'act' normal. Sometimes though, I feel like my quirks and challenges are pretty common when I read message boards like this one. Even though we're all unique we still have a ton in common as we're sharing the same time and space and are all trudging through the Human Experienceâ„¢.

I'm also a fan of using 'functional' to replace 'normal' when it comes to mental health. It's probably an easier sell for people to strive to be functional rather than strive to be 'normal.'

Old 11-23-2013, 12:27 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,097,379 times
A word I've been using more frequently than "normal" is "neurotypical".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health