U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 09:46 PM

16,082 posts, read 24,673,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think it could be a mental health issue. If you are depressed and your life has become so routine, so humdrum, that you are merely going through the motions, a symptom could very well be that time feels as though it is passing too quickly.
I guess it could. Meds may also affect concept of time, half the world is taking some kind of mental health pharmaceuticals.

I know so many people complain about time getting away or time flying past, I wouldn't call it a mental health issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 09:29 AM

115 posts, read 138,674 times
Do you feel like you are doing the same thing everyday, like Groundhog Day so all the days blend together? This might be why.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:54 AM

60,974 posts, read 58,222,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
I guess it could. Meds may also affect concept of time, half the world is taking some kind of mental health pharmaceuticals.

I know so many people complain about time getting away or time flying past, I wouldn't call it a mental health issue.
I know--that's why I thought that if it's a SYMPTOM of something else, like depression, then it's a mental health issue. Otherwise, time does fly. My only kid turns 21 this week, and I don't know how the hell that happened!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizcharlene View Post
Do you feel like you are doing the same thing everyday, like Groundhog Day so all the days blend together? This might be why.
I agree with this. I think that's why time flies for ME. No variation.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:49 PM

2,095 posts, read 2,685,136 times
To the OP: my concern would be if you are dissociating because of routine, or if there is something more severe at work here.

Are you in fact losing time, as in you truly don't remember what happened yet you find things done, or are you just losing time in the sense that the things that happen are so inconsequential that you don't remember them happening. Does that make sense?

You seem concerned about this in your original post, so I'd suggest seeing a professional just to make sure that this isn't something more serious such as dementia or (while I know it's rare) DID.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:33 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,030,004 times
I don't think it's fair to just dismiss the OP's concerns as just being regular old "time flies" which tends to happen as we get older. It is normal for it to seem like time is going by really fast and that things we did months ago seem like it was just last week. The other day I found an old prescription bottle for my dog that was from October 2010. I could have sworn though that it just happened a few months ago, not almost two years ago. I think everyone deals with similar things. However, this may not be what the OP is struggling with. Obviously it has her concerned which leads me to believe that it's not just normal memory issues. Memory can be affected by a number of things and if this is something new for you (the OP) and if it seems beyond the normal stuff I really think you should get it checked out soon. It could be an early symptom of dementia or maybe some other brain condition.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:45 AM

15,423 posts, read 22,649,300 times
I agree with Lizita. Talk to a doctor just in case. I know when I first started having panic attacks, time would go missing. They tested me for epilipsy (sp?) among other things. Time just ran together, and I was younger.

It depends on your definition. I for one cannot belive summer is almost over. I was in a state of (still am) severe depression, and due to this just let things slip away.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:46 AM

15,423 posts, read 22,649,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
It's funny that the OP thinks this is a "mental health" issue.
its funny that someone could be so insensitive to anothers concern.

Old 08-31-2012, 12:11 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,096,546 times
Something similar has been happening to me since I briefly worked an overnight job this summer; I frequently had trouble remembering what day it was, the whole concept of numeric dates began losing its meaning to me, and I would greatly underestimate the time it would take me to do something (For example, I used to be very good about being somewhere at the time I said I would, this summer I'd tell friends I'd meet them at 7:30 and show up at like 8:15).

Old 09-01-2012, 02:23 PM

13,965 posts, read 26,537,468 times
I work third shift, and thought that "Gee, that seems like only yesterday" was because of the physical effects of third shift, and also I went into the "Nothing happens in my life so blah blah blah..."
Now, if OP is truly losing time (as one poster pointed out) where he/she is actually dissociating, waking up somewhere with no memory of getting there, time disappearing with zero memory of it going by, that could be a mental health issue.
I do think, as we age, our cells perceive time differently. Every aging person says the same kind of thing, especially when seeing, say, a child grow up or some other change over time. I do think that kind of "losing time" is a natural part of the aging process, and is genuinely a biologic procedure.
Time is a funny thing. A few weeks is nothing if you are waiting for a big treat that is coming in a few weeks. It's a really long time if your arm is on fire. Etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or