U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Is it wrong to not help a suicidal person?
Yes 6 19.35%
No 9 29.03%
Depends (please explain) 12 38.71%
Yes (unless it's for the terminally ill) 4 12.90%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-17-2012, 07:07 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
18,275 posts, read 18,889,517 times
Reputation: 45587

Advertisements

Yes, I strongly feel that you should stop someone who is considering suicide, the one exception may be someone who has a terminal illness and has consulted and confirmed it with their doctors and has discussed their plans with all of their family members.

It is not just the person who dies who is affected. My daughter's best friend killed himself at age 16. He suffocated himself with a plastic bag and ziptie on a Thursday night. His parents found him the next morning. My daughter blamed herself for not insisting that he stay on the phone with her when he sort of "blow her off" during a phone conversation on Thursday afternoon. Many other friends of his also blamed themselves.

My daughter was so devastated that we had to watch her very carefully for the next months because of her sudden, serious depression. It is now eight and a half years later and, until very recently, his death was still a part of her daily life (sort of like PTS). His death still greatly effects her mental health. He has several other close friends who also have PTS type problems or started having problems with serious depression after his death.

And, needless to say, his parents and siblings were and are heartbroken.
Athough, D. had been battling depression for some time when he took his own life there was no immediate warning.


In fact, he had made numerous advanced plans to do things with friends (as was his nature). He had plans to meet with my daughter on Saturday and had tickets to go to a concent with a friend for his friend's birthday the next week, etc. As far as anyone knows nothing out of the ordinary happened that week or that Thursday and no one has any idea why he did it.

I don't know why D. did what he did but everytime my daughter calls me up at 3 o'clock in the morning crying I wonder if things wouldn't have been different if he would have had the courage to continue living rather than taking his own life that night. We wish that he would have reached out and gotten help.

I strongly believe that people who are considering suicide should seek help. What may seem like a shattered life today, this week, this month or even this year may be able to be repaired. That is why people should help keep others from committing suicide.

Suicide/Death is a permanent solution to what is usually a temporary problem. That is why others need to help them as much as they can to prevent death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-17-2012, 10:51 PM
 
3,965 posts, read 4,771,548 times
Reputation: 3659
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Yes, I strongly feel that you should stop someone who is considering suicide, the one exception may be someone who has a terminal illness and has consulted and confirmed it with their doctors and has discussed their plans with all of their family members.

It is not just the person who dies who is affected. My daughter's best friend killed himself at age 16. He suffocated himself with a plastic bag and ziptie on a Thursday night. His parents found him the next morning. My daughter blamed herself for not insisting that he stay on the phone with her when he sort of "blow her off" during a phone conversation on Thursday afternoon. Many other friends of his also blamed themselves.

My daughter was so devastated that we had to watch her very carefully for the next months because of her sudden, serious depression. It is now eight and a half years later and, until very recently, his death was still a part of her daily life (sort of like PTS). His death still greatly effects her mental health. He has several other close friends who also have PTS type problems or started having problems with serious depression after his death.

And, needless to say, his parents and siblings were and are heartbroken.
Athough, D. had been battling depression for some time when he took his own life there was no immediate warning.


In fact, he had made numerous advanced plans to do things with friends (as was his nature). He had plans to meet with my daughter on Saturday and had tickets to go to a concent with a friend for his friend's birthday the next week, etc. As far as anyone knows nothing out of the ordinary happened that week or that Thursday and no one has any idea why he did it.

I don't know why D. did what he did but everytime my daughter calls me up at 3 o'clock in the morning crying I wonder if things wouldn't have been different if he would have had the courage to continue living rather than taking his own life that night. We wish that he would have reached out and gotten help.

I strongly believe that people who are considering suicide should seek help. What may seem like a shattered life today, this week, this month or even this year may be able to be repaired. That is why people should help keep others from committing suicide.

Suicide/Death is a permanent solution to what is usually a temporary problem. That is why others need to help them as much as they can to prevent death.
What if they genuinely don't wish to live. Should we force them to stay alive against their will?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2012, 12:08 AM
 
Location: Orange County, N.C.
242 posts, read 402,043 times
Reputation: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
Is it wrong to not help a suicidal person?
Sometimes, I suspect, that suicide, or, at least some of them, is often performed in perceived self defense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2012, 09:56 AM
 
8,012 posts, read 6,904,581 times
Reputation: 12082
It isn't wrong not to help a suicidal person in my opinion. A lot of people will say that suicidal people are not in sound mind when they contemplate things like this. I disagree.

A couple of things here though. I think Jasper's point about the different people out there who contemplate suicide. The people who aren't serious uses it as a bluff for sympathy. Some people consider it an option when something bad happens after things had been going well for them out of emotional distress. Others have been failures and outcasts there entire lives. I think if you have a better chance of helping the former two types of people than the latter that she mentioned, which in turn is why for those two former types of people trying to reach out to them would be a good idea.

The latter however, well you can try to reach out to the latter but I think unlike the former two types of people. People who are suffering from prolonged misery are of sound mind when they decide to take their lives.

Another thing here is the nature of life itself. I have a tendency to analyze things and as a result question everything including life itself. No one chooses to be here. People are put on this Earth as a result of a passionate act by two people without the consent of the person coming into existence. Then after that said person is expected to take everything that life throws at him and just deal with it without questions or complaints. But why should anyone have to? The choice to end ones life is just as valid as the choices they make in their lives.

Let's say that at the moment where you are conceived that someone told you that life wouldn't be fair and would be hard in everyway imaginable, that you would be subject to an endless amount of scrutiny and ridicule by just being yourself and minding your own business just because you are different from the norm. That you would be born into a life of poverty, or to abusive and neglectful parents, or be born having a debilitating disease of the body or mind. Some would choose to live anyway. But just because some choose to live and ride it out doesn't mean everybody has to. It's not mandatory to live.

Last edited by Ro2113; 08-18-2012 at 10:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2012, 10:00 AM
 
Location: Bergen County, NJ
1,603 posts, read 3,742,396 times
Reputation: 1838
If someone is mentally ill and/or in a position where they feel as though they are having difficulty even breathing, getting up, wanting to see the light of day, I think it is every persons obligation to at least, at the very most notify someone so that the person can be given a chance at some peace, and guidance to a healthier path. Whether it is the police, or a hospital.

If you know of someone who is going to end their life, and you knowingly do nothing, I hope that you can live with yourself. I know I could not. I don't care what the circumstances are. Some individuals are full of compassion, and others are not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2012, 05:29 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
18,275 posts, read 18,889,517 times
Reputation: 45587
[quote=Yellow Jacket;25691350]What if they genuinely don't wish to live. Should we force them to stay alive against their will?[/quote]

I believe that there are far too many people (especially children and teens) that make hasty, unplanned decisions to kill themselves. Yes, we should we force them to stay alive against their will until they can make informed, adult decisions while they are healthy.

There was another suicide that affected a family member of mine. The teen was probably feeling overwhelmed. Her friends knew that she was "feeling a little down" but no one imagined that she would murder herself. My relative was with her just a few hours before her friend drove off a bridge at a high speed, and didn't suspect a thing. The police were 100% sure that it was an intentional suicide and that the girl had removed her seatbelt and aimed for the edge of the bridge while pushing her foot to the accelerator.

Although, the teen was a good student she had recently got a B on a test and only won a silver medal (not a gold) at a state competition. She did not tell her parents, teachers or friends that she was depressed.

My relative suspects that it was a spur-of-the-moment decision. Those are the type of situations that are the most tragic. To die because she had received a B on one test and only a silver medal in a tough state competition? It was especially sad because if she would have waited until Monday she would have found out that everyone could take a re-test to improve their grade (as everyone did poorly on that test).

Now her parents are childless, the school & world lost a bright, talented student and her parents, friends and teachers blamed themselves for not noticing that anything was wrong.


Yes, we should we force children, teens and people with mental health problems to stay alive against their will until they can make informed, adult decisions while they are healthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2012, 05:44 PM
 
77 posts, read 162,810 times
Reputation: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
What I mean is that I believe that everyone has a right to die. I also believe that everyone has a right to have peace if it only concerns one's self. Suicide is at the end of the day only terminating your own life. Why should I convince someone not to take an option that would give them what they want just because I would miss them? I think that's odd on my part. I bet my view is in the minority. It may be considered unethical because it goes against the grain for the "normal" man but I don't think it's wrong. I've added a poll to help organize the opinions. I don't think anyone has to remain alive for the sake of anyone else.
I chose the option 'yes' because I think most of the reasons for what people wants to kill themselves is becuase they are not happy or they have a lot of problems that they don't know how to solve. It's many things, for example, it's not your reposability that you make that person to be happy, but you can help them to find a way, either listening to them or helping them or suggest them therapy, a cure or I don't know. Noone in the world who is happy wants to die, it's not an innate human need, so if someone decides to do it, there's something really really wrong with them and they need to be helped right away.

When someone wants to be alone in their room or in the house, it's normal, you let them to be alone for a while that's normal; but someone trying to throw his life away, that's not normal, they need peace, but they don't want to die. That's a wrong answer, it's a trap to make people everything is going to be right, and of course it will because you are going to dissapear, but I don't think it's a healthy choice.

People has been making inventions to try to live forever or longer, we see it in movies, skin products, we have the need desire to live forever since we are born... The desire to die is not real.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2012, 12:17 AM
 
3,965 posts, read 4,771,548 times
Reputation: 3659
[quote=germaine2626;25699945]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
What if they genuinely don't wish to live. Should we force them to stay alive against their will?[/quote]

I believe that there are far too many people (especially children and teens) that make hasty, unplanned decisions to kill themselves. Yes, we should we force them to stay alive against their will until they can make informed, adult decisions while they are healthy.

There was another suicide that affected a family member of mine. The teen was probably feeling overwhelmed. Her friends knew that she was "feeling a little down" but no one imagined that she would murder herself. My relative was with her just a few hours before her friend drove off a bridge at a high speed, and didn't suspect a thing. The police were 100% sure that it was an intentional suicide and that the girl had removed her seatbelt and aimed for the edge of the bridge while pushing her foot to the accelerator.

Although, the teen was a good student she had recently got a B on a test and only won a silver medal (not a gold) at a state competition. She did not tell her parents, teachers or friends that she was depressed.

My relative suspects that it was a spur-of-the-moment decision. Those are the type of situations that are the most tragic. To die because she had received a B on one test and only a silver medal in a tough state competition? It was especially sad because if she would have waited until Monday she would have found out that everyone could take a re-test to improve their grade (as everyone did poorly on that test).

Now her parents are childless, the school & world lost a bright, talented student and her parents, friends and teachers blamed themselves for not noticing that anything was wrong.


Yes, we should we force children, teens and people with mental health problems to stay alive against their will until they can make informed, adult decisions while they are healthy.
That has a dominating if not selfish stench to that. What if they are of sound mind? Then again, you will just say they aren't in order to not feel guilty when they do kill themselves. There are people out there who may have every want to die but they aren't going hysterical or losing themselves. Those people usually can do it quietly without anyone stopping them. The point is that each person has no choice in being born so the least society can do is give them free choice when it comes to dying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreepyMuse View Post
I chose the option 'yes' because I think most of the reasons for what people wants to kill themselves is becuase they are not happy or they have a lot of problems that they don't know how to solve. It's many things, for example, it's not your reposability that you make that person to be happy, but you can help them to find a way, either listening to them or helping them or suggest them therapy, a cure or I don't know. Noone in the world who is happy wants to die, it's not an innate human need, so if someone decides to do it, there's something really really wrong with them and they need to be helped right away.

When someone wants to be alone in their room or in the house, it's normal, you let them to be alone for a while that's normal; but someone trying to throw his life away, that's not normal, they need peace, but they don't want to die. That's a wrong answer, it's a trap to make people everything is going to be right, and of course it will because you are going to dissapear, but I don't think it's a healthy choice.

People has been making inventions to try to live forever or longer, we see it in movies, skin products, we have the need desire to live forever since we are born... The desire to die is not real.
The desire to die is VERY real and I've had personal experience with it. I saw with my own eyes of someone who is totally sound who was tired of living. He had enough of it. He wanted a new experience. After trying and trying he concluded that proper peace for him was unattainable while living. Desire itself is in the mind and the mind can be changed.

Last edited by Yellow Jacket; 08-19-2012 at 01:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2012, 11:23 AM
 
Location: Wisconsin
18,275 posts, read 18,889,517 times
Reputation: 45587
Yes, we should we force children, teens and people with mental health problems to stay alive against their will until they can make informed, adult decisions while they are healthy.
quote=germaine2626;25699945]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
[That has a dominating if not selfish stench to that. What if they are of sound mind? Then again, you will just say they aren't in order to not feel guilty when they do kill themselves. There are people out there who may have every want to die but they aren't going hysterical or losing themselves. Those people usually can do it quietly without anyone stopping them. The point is that each person has no choice in being born so the least society can do is give them free choice when it comes to dying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post

The desire to die is VERY real and I've had personal experience with it. I saw with my own eyes of someone who is totally sound who was tired of living. He had enough of it. He wanted a new experience. After trying and trying he concluded that proper peace for him was unattainable while living. Desire itself is in the mind and the mind can be changed.



I agree that in certain situations, such as a dealing with a severe illness that will result in death, the very elderly and infirm, extreme disability or someone with serious untreatable depression, suicide would be an acceptable choice for an adult.

However, I feel strongly that in many situations it is a hasty decision that should not be allowed to be carried out by children, teens and people who need medical help. Teenagers are especially impulsive. Why should a B on a test or break-up with a boyfriend/girlfriend result in a death sentence? Just like the courts don't normally allow the death penalty for a 13 year old who commits a crime or allow the death penalty for someone who is mentally retarded or mentally ill who commits a crime, I believe that a "death penalty" of suicide is wrong in those cases, too.

Now, if the teenager still decides five years later, as an adult, that receiving that B on a test as a junior in HS, breaking up with a crush at age 14, or a mean text from a classmate in middle school makes their life as an adult unlivable then that is a different matter. But, I doubt that happens very often.

You are never going to convince me to change my mind so I am bowing out of this discussion.


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2012, 03:28 PM
 
7,357 posts, read 8,348,613 times
Reputation: 4526
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
If you are aware that someone is suicidal, chances are they want you to know they are suicidal. Therefore, maybe they our reaching out for some sort of help.

The thing about suicide is, usually people become suicidal when they see no relief in sight in regard to certain problems that they are experiencing. I can't help but think that if you hang on long enough, things will get better.

That being said, I realize it may not be the case in every situation. But, for the most part, I think the only acceptable reason to consider suicide would be terminal illness. But that's just me. I haven't walked in the shoes of every person who feels hopeless.

I do feel strongly that if a person says something that indicates they are thinking about suicide,we shouldn't just shrug our shoulders and leave them be. As I mentioned, if they are letting you know, then they are likely indirectly asking for a bit of help. I personally could not live with myself if I didn't at least try to help them through their struggle and try to help them see that things can get better.

Do I believe it's right to flat out prevent someone from doing what they will? No. Everyone has a right to do what they want. But, if you care about the person, you should at least help them consider all sides of the situation.

its nothing but a cliche to think that if you hang on long enough , things will only get better , up there with " you make your own luck "

i see absolutley nothing wrong with suicide and actually have great admiration for those who exhibit such absolute control over their own circumstances , i especially dislike those who see it as their duty to prevent people from ending their own life for fear god might be annoyed , those people are control freaks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top