U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 06:11 AM

7,490 posts, read 6,668,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I've been to 2 psychiatrists who say theres nothing wrong, i'll be visiting my 3rd psychiatrist tomorrow where we'll probably sit around and talk for an hour and he'll also tell me theres nothing wrong and that will be $125 thank you.
Well time to do some dishes and other household chores then nap time..
I think maybe this is your wake up call....

Perhaps before anything else you might thank God that you CAN sleep, because many of us cannot. That is quite a gift that I know DH and I shared with you.

Once you're awake, maybe it's time to start looking around for things to get involved with that uses the skills and interests you've accumulated over your lifetime. My mother loved animals and the local zoo, so she started volunteering there, and served them the twenty years before she died. She loved baking, and every occasion in her family and friends lives, including their events and charities always had at least one of her pies, platters of cookies, or other sweets.

No matter where you live there are people in need of your knowledge and capabilities. If you like young people, there are boys and girls that have no father figure in their lives, no male mentors. You could be that for them. If you prefer helping adults, there are church groups, homeless shelters, community colleges, etc. There are always seniors sitting idly in nursing homes that could use someone to come and just share their memories.

Regardless of your religious beliefs, there are good works programs being done everywhere by one church or another -- any could use a lending hand. You don't have to share their beliefs to help them help others.

Being interested in life sometimes means getting outside your self, and extending a hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 06:12 AM

5,524 posts, read 10,221,283 times
I respectfully suggest that you address the "diabetic and overweight" component of your life. Once that's in hand, you may find your "get up and go" that's "got up and gone" will return.

My brother, who was also diabetic and overweight, took himself to Weight Watchers, got a dog and started taking two lengthy walks around the neighborhood and parks. He's no longer overweight and his diabetes is much more controllable with little insulin. His mood and energy are much higher now.

Action plan:

- join Weight Watchers
- start walking/join a gym/get a personal trainer/buy a treadmill or exercise bike
- find a good nutritionist to guide you on food choices
- learn to cook healthful meals
- get your spouse on board by enlisting her support--especially if she's overweight too
- volunteer for one organization and make yourself do it faithfully

Old 08-20-2012, 06:17 AM

2 posts, read 2,279 times
Try to force yourself to have just a little discipline, - use it to force yourself down to the library. Do that every day for 2 weeks. Take note of which shelves/subjects you seem to migrate to in the library. That is where your interest lies. Now you know what hobbies/passtimes/groups/clubs to join.Check your neighbourhood newspaper, and go to the courses offered even if they don't seem to be your taste. Soon you'll find yourself getting involved in something. Try to remember, - no-one is going to walk up your garden and fetch you out. It has to start with you. Good luck.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:26 AM

32,448 posts, read 13,433,416 times
All great advice, but when you are in a depressive state like Jimbo is, your mind knows what to do, but you just can't make yourself do it. Really teeny tiny baby steps, like just walking outside for 5 minutes to start. You have to change you, no one else can...but yes anti depressants may help.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:50 AM

35,285 posts, read 43,445,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
I respectfully suggest that you address the "diabetic and overweight" component of your life. Once that's in hand, you may find your "get up and go" that's "got up and gone" will return.

- join Weight Watchers
- start walking/join a gym/get a personal trainer/buy a treadmill or exercise bike
- find a good nutritionist to guide you on food choices
- learn to cook healthful meals
- get your spouse on board by enlisting her support--especially if she's overweight too
- volunteer for one organization and make yourself do it faithfully
Thats what my doctor said,losing the weight is the key, however at 70lbs overweight and tried every trick in the book to lose it with no success over the last 10 years i've kinda slipped into a lethargic state whereby everything has become pointless and redundant.I know what i have to do i just dont have the passion to do it,sure i could buy a new Harley or sports car or go on a major trip etc.but the thought just bores me...
As said before its like a mental deadend or trap where anyway i look all i see is boring monotony..

Old 08-20-2012, 08:52 AM

7,490 posts, read 6,668,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
All great advice, but when you are in a depressive state like Jimbo is, your mind knows what to do, but you just can't make yourself do it. Really teeny tiny baby steps, like just walking outside for 5 minutes to start. You have to change you, no one else can...but yes anti depressants may help.
No disrespect, Tas, but both psychiatric evals said he was okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Thats what my doctor said,losing the weight is the key, however at 70lbs overweight and tried every trick in the book to lose it with no success over the last 10 years i've kinda slipped into a lethargic state whereby everything has become pointless and redundant.... As said before its like a mental deadend or trap where anyway i look all i see is boring monotony..
Life is all about the choices we make. It sounds like you want to make changes, but feel you need some motivation. Sometimes you have to grab yourself by your bootstraps and compel yourself.

I have suffered with bouts of depression, understand boredom, and have been dieting since I was five (51 years ago). I can tell you without hesitation that waiting for something outside yourself to change your life is not going to happen. If you want something different, figure out what it is and take the first step. When you've taken the first step, look around and figure out the next step.

It's called "your life." Like a nose -- we all get ONE. If you don't use it, or if you do, it still ends at some point. You can sit around waiting for that day, or you can do something with it. The choice is yours.

I hope whatever you do it is good for you. Best wishes.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:58 AM

5,524 posts, read 10,221,283 times
Somehow I doubt you've tried everything over the years in a regular, consistent manner. Those who have will see results.

For instance:

-Have you joined and attended Weight Watchers faithfully?
-Do you own and use any exercise equipment?
-Do you volunteer to help others less fortunate than you?

A wise person once told me "depression is anger turned inward."

Do you think this is true? And if you do, please consider and get help for what is angering you. Who has hurt you? What pain are you feeding inside? Do you love/like yourself?

When's the last time you had a great belly laugh? Do you have a "tribe" of friends outside of family who enjoy your company and vice versa.

Time to shake yourself up and take some action! You can do it. The longest journey starts with a single step. But you've got to be willing to take that step. Your post was a cry for help. Are you ready to change?

Old 08-20-2012, 09:14 AM

13,515 posts, read 14,950,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
God I'm like this and im 23. Im totally screwed
Oh, just think of it as practice.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:20 AM

32,448 posts, read 13,433,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
No disrespect, Tas, but both psychiatric evals said he was okay.

Life is all about the choices we make. It sounds like you want to make changes, but feel you need some motivation. Sometimes you have to grab yourself by your bootstraps and compel yourself.

I have suffered with bouts of depression, understand boredom, and have been dieting since I was five (51 years ago). I can tell you without hesitation that waiting for something outside yourself to change your life is not going to happen. If you want something different, figure out what it is and take the first step. When you've taken the first step, look around and figure out the next step.

It's called "your life." Like a nose -- we all get ONE. If you don't use it, or if you do, it still ends at some point. You can sit around waiting for that day, or you can do something with it. The choice is yours.

I hope whatever you do it is good for you. Best wishes.
I totally agree, to change the inside (your thoughts) can be very difficult...for me it took a long talk with an old friend/family member and we have been talking for over 2 weeks now. I had a complete shift in "my energy", my thoughts. Nothing changes, if nothing changes Best of luck Jambo!!

Old 08-20-2012, 09:36 AM

18,249 posts, read 18,843,274 times
I agree that starting small, baby steps, is good advice.

When you start to walk into your bedroom today to take a nap instead walk out your front door and take a walk around your neighborhood (or even just your yard). Listen to the birds chirping, see and smell some beautiful flowers, feel the texture of the bark of a tree or the warmth of the sun, say "Hello" to a neighbor and look at the clouds and try to identify some objects. Or, to start, just do one of those things today and tomorrow walk out your front door and do two of those things.

Let us on C-D know how it goes or just PM me. We are rooting for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or