U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 11:43 AM

19,184 posts, read 15,771,487 times

Advertisements

We lived in the Tucson area for 6 years. Retirement is not for everyone and I saw a lot of older people working part-time jobs at the fast food and retail establishments among others. If what you are doing isn't working, rather than think about medicating it away, try something new. Unfortunately, too many people define themselves by what they do as a job and when the job is gone...............Everyone is not the same. I was once at the Unemployment office in Tucson and a man who was 83 years old came in and said he wanted to work and the counselor told him that he would find him a job and I bet he did because this man was there early and really wanted a job. A lot people get hopelessly depressed when the kids leave the house because they have made the kids their entire life. Got to find balance. Plan ahead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 11:50 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,986 posts, read 5,916,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Oh, just think of it as practice.
better start watching the price is right and soap operas as well

Old 08-20-2012, 03:04 PM

7,490 posts, read 6,675,028 times
I just gotta say: I love you guys! Where on earth other than here would you get so many people concerned and offering such great advice to help a complete stranger?! That alone has to lift one's spirits and get one going! Good for you, each and every one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Somehow I doubt you've tried everything over the years in a regular, consistent manner. Those who have will see results.

A wise person once told me "depression is anger turned inward."

When's the last time you had a great belly laugh? Do you have a "tribe" of friends outside of family who enjoy your company and vice versa.

Time to shake yourself up and take some action! You can do it. The longest journey starts with a single step. But you've got to be willing to take that step. Your post was a cry for help. Are you ready to change?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Oh, just think of it as practice.
I laughed out loud at this one, Kev!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
...Nothing changes, if nothing changes Best of luck Jambo!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
When you start to walk into your bedroom today to take a nap instead walk out your front door and take a walk around your neighborhood (or even just your yard). Listen to the birds chirping, see and smell some beautiful flowers, feel the texture of the bark of a tree or the warmth of the sun, say "Hello" to a neighbor and look at the clouds and try to identify some objects. Or, to start, just do one of those things today and tomorrow walk out your front door and do two of those things.

Let us on C-D know how it goes or just PM me. We are rooting for you!
And that's the truth, Jambo. We all are.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:50 PM

35,287 posts, read 43,503,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I agree that starting small, baby steps, is good advice.

When you start to walk into your bedroom today to take a nap instead walk out your front door and take a walk around your neighborhood (or even just your yard). Listen to the birds chirping, see and smell some beautiful flowers, feel the texture of the bark of a tree or the warmth of the sun, say "Hello" to a neighbor and look at the clouds and try to identify some objects. Or, to start, just do one of those things today and tomorrow walk out your front door and do two of those things.

Let us on C-D know how it goes or just PM me. We are rooting for you!
Thanks for the advice germaine2626 but i've been basically doing what you suggest for most of my life and its just not a fullfilling experience any more,the thrill is gone and walking anywhere is just a boring monotonous drudgery, really used to enjoy interacting with nature now its just a boring walk in the woods.i'd rather take a nap..
My problem is not a lack of imagination on things i could be doing but a total lack in motivation to want to do anything,
Had a fruitful meeting with the psycho analyst today,we are just in the beginning stages but he seems to have an understanding as to where we need to go, i'm hopeful..

Old 08-20-2012, 07:05 PM

13,051 posts, read 16,124,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
God I'm like this and im 23. Im totally screwed
So you see (above) jambo101....it's not getting old that sucks, it's boredom....Do you really need a shrink to tell you that?....why not spend the money instead on something fun, is there nothing you've always wanted to do?...I think if you just get out, even just for a walk, or to sit in a park and people watch, life will seem brighter.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:32 PM

35,287 posts, read 43,503,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
So you see (above) jambo101....it's not getting old that sucks, it's boredom....Do you really need a shrink to tell you that?....why not spend the money instead on something fun, is there nothing you've always wanted to do?...I think if you just get out, even just for a walk, or to sit in a park and people watch, life will seem brighter.

Thanks for trying purehuman but I dont think you are understanding the depth of my lethargy, i could go and buy any toy i want, take a trip anywhere in the world,i hate walking and i've done everything i ever wanted to do so doing more stuff or buying new experiences is not going to solve the problem the problem is about motivation to do any of those things...

Old 08-20-2012, 10:53 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,986 posts, read 5,916,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
i'm too poor to get a shrink, so that idea wasn't happening in the first place

Old 08-22-2012, 01:06 PM

13,051 posts, read 16,124,159 times
jambo101...would you consider what sunset2000 said?, and get a puppy, or any dog for that matter?...If you had a little dependant it would no doubt motivate you some....the puppy would need walking or fresh air at least...sometimes we all need some kind of catalyst to get us moving....a dog could be yours.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:28 PM

5,525 posts, read 10,233,193 times
One other suggestion (hope it is not already here) is to get your thyroid checked. Low thyroid output could possibly account for lethargy, weight gain and depression.

Old 08-23-2012, 06:57 PM

2,913 posts, read 4,734,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Happily married with two teenage daughters
Must admit that I was rather taken aback to see the above...I would have sworn from reading your original post that you were single and living alone. Where is your wife in this scenario? Do the two of you live parallel lives? Do you interact at all in your daily lives?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or