U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 07:05 PM

731 posts, read 1,416,898 times

Advertisements

Merely by the fact you stated Getting old sucks, makes me feel you really are young at heart. I feel a lot the same you do. It helps me to listen to upbeat music when I am blah, and I might just get the notion to dance a minute. I live alone so I am the queen of my castle, such that it is. It is hard sometimes to get motivated, I know I need to walk, but no by myself...that sucks too.
Every day is a new day, just keep trying....as I do ....sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 05:49 AM

17,483 posts, read 15,469,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
Must admit that I was rather taken aback to see the above...I would have sworn from reading your original post that you were single and living alone. Where is your wife in this scenario? Do the two of you live parallel lives? Do you interact at all in your daily lives?
I too was surprised, since in his many other posts he never mentions his wife and teenaged daughters. He seems totally disengaged from the people he is supposed to be closest to. Blaming age and boredom. I wonder how that feels to them. What is going on inside this family?

Old 08-29-2012, 03:20 PM

8,478 posts, read 10,160,571 times
Can you get out and hike? I have mid-day weeks off and Im surprised at the number of older (65+) hiker I see on the trail. And some of them can outhike me! I know I already look forward to retirement just for the time it will afford me to go hiking and camping more. But it's my hobby and passion. You need to find a hobby you can pour yourself into.

Old 09-02-2012, 03:45 PM

1,891 posts, read 1,971,272 times
It sounds like puppies and volunteering and walking around the block sound like taking aspirin for a tumor to you. I understand. If you're like me, you don't need a hobby-- you need a purpose. Viktor Frankl said, "Those who have a 'why' to live can endure almost any 'how.'" I'm very imperfectly seeking that "why" and I deeply feel its absence.

As part of seeking that purpose, I resolved to walk the Camino de Santiago in late spring 2014. I'm not Catholic, nor do I believe in any deity, but I hope that putting one foot in front of the other for 5-6 weeks, walking a pilgrimage that's over a thousand years old, with no cell phone or iToy, but just to keep my eyes open to the world and my hand and heart open, may work some small miracle. Maybe I'll just get blisters. I won't know until I try. Since formulating the idea, I've talked to two dozen people who've walked the Camino, and read a hundred others writing about their experiences. They're all different, because what they learned came from within themselves. I'm curious to see what comes out of me.

Maybe your boredom and ennui and depression (which I suspect isn't a young person's depression at all-- what happens to our bodies, and what we understand about the world that young people won't get until they're older, would depress anyone) is a signal from your spirit. So I second going to the library, but maybe like the book on the Camino that I saw one day while there that sparked my curiosity, maybe something will spark yours. I think of my library as a shopping mall of the mind, and the spirit. Go there and go shopping.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:14 AM

2 posts, read 1,509 times
I hear ya, I feel just the same, and I have no ansers either, now what? I wish thier was someplace like the old taverns..but not to drink-to socialize.. where can one go to socialize that doesn't cost, or isn't religious, or geared toward one subject? I don't know.. I guess if I was more financially well off, not just I can pay my bills, I may find more to do??

Old 11-30-2012, 11:54 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,039,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
It sounds like puppies and volunteering and walking around the block sound like taking aspirin for a tumor to you. I understand. If you're like me, you don't need a hobby-- you need a purpose. Viktor Frankl said, "Those who have a 'why' to live can endure almost any 'how.'" I'm very imperfectly seeking that "why" and I deeply feel its absence.

As part of seeking that purpose, I resolved to walk the Camino de Santiago in late spring 2014. I'm not Catholic, nor do I believe in any deity, but I hope that putting one foot in front of the other for 5-6 weeks, walking a pilgrimage that's over a thousand years old, with no cell phone or iToy, but just to keep my eyes open to the world and my hand and heart open, may work some small miracle. Maybe I'll just get blisters. I won't know until I try. Since formulating the idea, I've talked to two dozen people who've walked the Camino, and read a hundred others writing about their experiences. They're all different, because what they learned came from within themselves. I'm curious to see what comes out of me.

Maybe your boredom and ennui and depression (which I suspect isn't a young person's depression at all-- what happens to our bodies, and what we understand about the world that young people won't get until they're older, would depress anyone) is a signal from your spirit. So I second going to the library, but maybe like the book on the Camino that I saw one day while there that sparked my curiosity, maybe something will spark yours. I think of my library as a shopping mall of the mind, and the spirit. Go there and go shopping.
Good for you! And great advice for the OP.

I wish you a wonderful journey

Old 12-01-2012, 08:07 AM

9,982 posts, read 17,894,879 times
How about taking up a musical instrument? There is something about music that really boosts peoples' happiness and I started doing a fun thing a few weeks ago--I began to take a jug band class where we sit and play "found" instruments and my personal favorite is the washboard, lol. Another lady likes the kazoo and some folks like to sing and it's so silly and funny that we all have a big grin on our face when we're done. I really didn't want to do it at first--sounded silly to me, but friends talked me into it and I'm glad they did. Also, there is something transcendent about playing music in a group and it feels so good when you all get into a groove. I'm not retired yet and I wish I had more time to devote to this--it's kind of frustrating right now.

Old 12-01-2012, 01:37 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,209,665 times
"Old age ain't no place for sissies !" Betty Davis

Last edited by Pawporri; 12-01-2012 at 01:38 PM.. Reason: Quote mark

Old 12-01-2012, 02:31 PM

7,100 posts, read 24,957,309 times
I haven't read all of the reponses because the urge to reply got stronge and stronger.

I have just one thing to say. "Welcome to the Real World of Getting Older."

Yes, you will sleep more. Yes, you will have less and less to do. Yes, things are not the same.

Get used to it as soon as possible. It's going to be this way, and worse, as long as you expect your life to be wonderful.

You are getting older. Things are going to change. Learn to adjust in some manner, even if it's only sitting on the porch and watching traffic pass by.

If you are still healthy and can get around without a walker or wheelchair..give thanks!! You are one lucky person!

Old 12-01-2012, 02:59 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,209,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
I haven't read all of the reponses because the urge to reply got stronge and stronger.

I have just one thing to say. "Welcome to the Real World of Getting Older."

Yes, you will sleep more. Yes, you will have less and less to do. Yes, things are not the same.

Get used to it as soon as possible. It's going to be this way, and worse, as long as you expect your life to be wonderful.

You are getting older. Things are going to change. Learn to adjust in some manner, even if it's only sitting on the porch and watching traffic pass by.

If you are still healthy and can get around without a walker or wheelchair..give thanks!! You are one lucky person!
Great advice. Living in America - everyday is Thanksgiving Day for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or