U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 03:41 PM

35,289 posts, read 43,521,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I too was surprised, since in his many other posts he never mentions his wife and teenaged daughters. He seems totally disengaged from the people he is supposed to be closest to. Blaming age and boredom. I wonder how that feels to them. What is going on inside this family?
Hi ..I'm still here.All the advice is appreciated..
The psycho analyst is working on that very idea,of the family as a whole unit. Apparently with wife and kids gone all day to work and school i've become rather irrelevant in the rest of the families lives,
Worked ok when i was working as well and our parallel lives would come together on occasion like supper and weekend activities but now most nights the wife is out at meetings,conferences or with friends socializing and the kids 18-22 no longer share interests with the old Dad..So i'm home alone most of the time with ever increasing mobility and health issues and its getting depressing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 04:09 PM

7,100 posts, read 24,965,535 times
I went back and read some more of the responses. May I point out a few things?? Please don't take offense, but there are things you should admit.

Yes, the kids no longer share interests with you. This happens everyday in most families. As they get older, they will share even less. You CANNOT change this. It is human nature. Learn to accept it.

It sounds as if your wife had to develop a life of her own without you. Now it's time to develop your life. You can't expect her to give up things just because you retired.

sorry to hear about mobility and health issues. This will get worse too. There is no "cure" for getting older. Do the best you can. The rest of us will help you adjust, but we can't help you if you keep trying to be unrealistic about things.

Can you go to a Men's gym and work out a little? The extra exercise will help you, even if it's only slight, some is better than none. I reccommend a all male gym as it sometimes is a little scary to try to work out around females.

I think that someone mentioned volunteering. One of our hospitals has a large group of men working with their PinK Ladies. They work in the ER department. Very helpful at night.

Yes, it is depressing. Too many of us have found this to be true. BUT, there's always the chance that tomorrow will dawn and something new will come and show us a better time. For me, I have found that I need to stay up and read or use the computer until about 2-4 am. Then to bed and sleep until 10-11. Then, I can manage the rest of the time. It's trying to live the old schedule that blows my mind!

Old 12-01-2012, 05:25 PM

7,100 posts, read 24,965,535 times
Whoops!! I may have made mistake. I guess that you were male because you spoke of your wife. Sooooo, go to a ladies only gym during the day. The trim little things usually are there in the evenings.

But really, Boredom is the normal way of life for those that don't have anything to do outside of the home. You may never get used to it. Sleep is about the only escape.

Old 12-01-2012, 05:26 PM

35,289 posts, read 43,521,849 times
Going to the gymn is one of the few highlights of my day, and i got no problem with some of the young female goddesses that work out at the same time i do.Got this young Swedish girl who.....ah never mind

Old 12-01-2012, 07:41 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,211,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Going to the gymn is one of the few highlights of my day, and i got no problem with some of the young female goddesses that work out at the same time i do.Got this young Swedish girl who.....ah never mind
Those Swedes can really get that adrenalin going for ya.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:07 PM

14,323 posts, read 19,999,275 times
Default Either get busy living or get busy dying

Learn a musical instrument and join a band or orchestra, develop a wider range of musical likes, listen to more music, earn a degree online such as a PhD, write books, find the spark that is your wife, lose some weight, exercise more, blog, go golfing with your wife, learn to golf, have sex more often, travel more, go befriend people of a different race and culture, go to plays and enjoy the local theatre, volunteer at some university, work at a university, learn how to become an electrician, write a book about your life and your perceptions for your kids, study mathematics then become a teacher, learn how to program mobile devices. go walking with your wife on a regular basis, lift weights and exercise with your wife, spend more time with kids as a coach or teacher, take up tai chi, learn more about computers and surfing the net, learn to play video games, visit a barber shop on a regular basis for the camaraderie, go to a college football, basketball, or baseball game, develp a favorite college team and regularly attend the games, go to a pro college football, basketball, or baseball game, regularly attend the pro games and root for your favorite team, learn how to cook better, so on and so forth. Life is great!

Light a candle, don't curse the darkness.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:44 PM

1,799 posts, read 2,513,934 times
Sorry to ask but as a diabetic myself how well is your diabetes controlled ? if i eat the wrong sort of food with a heap of carbs. i get very tired and lethargic also diabetes can cause a bit of depression.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or