Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 01:45 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times

Advertisements

Retired for 5 years now and life is getting kinda boring, that passion for life is no longer what it once was,its like that fire in the belly for life has gone out and i no longer feel like doing anything but sleep a lot, on a mental level i feel like i've come to a dead end in life where i've now done it all and dont feel like doing anything any more coupled with the fact that the less i do the less i want to do my schedule has now become several hours up and about then several hours sleeping, as i'm only 65 i figure i should have a good 20 years left but at this rate i'll be sleeping 20hours a day by the time i'm 70.
I've been to 2 psychiatrists who say theres nothing wrong, i'll be visiting my 3rd psychiatrist tomorrow where we'll probably sit around and talk for an hour and he'll also tell me theres nothing wrong and that will be $125 thank you.
Well time to do some dishes and other household chores then nap time..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 12:46 PM

506 posts, read 1,160,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Retired for 5 years now and life is getting kinda boring, that passion for life is no longer what it once was,its like that fire in the belly for life has gone out and i no longer feel like doing anything but sleep a lot, on a mental level i feel like i've come to a dead end in life where i've now done it all and dont feel like doing anything any more coupled with the fact that the less i do the less i want to do my schedule has now become several hours up and about then several hours sleeping, as i'm only 65 i figure i should have a good 20 years left but at this rate i'll be sleeping 20hours a day by the time i'm 70.
I've been to 2 psychiatrists who say theres nothing wrong, i'll be visiting my 3rd psychiatrist tomorrow where we'll probably sit around and talk for an hour and he'll also tell me theres nothing wrong and that will be $125 thank you.
You should like get a puppy and stuff.

Old 08-19-2012, 01:42 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Have you considered volunteering on a regular basis? Several of my friends became drivers for meals on wheels, another became a museum guide, one started a part-time job as a school lunch room aide and another loved her part-time job at McDonalds. My BIL spend several winters being a volunteer driver/engineer on a mini-train for children at a nature center. He really loved it.

Is there a hobby that you want to learn more about? Maybe something that you wanted to do when you were younger but didn't have the time or money to do?

Are you able to afford a trip? Perhaps planning a trip to visit relatives, or to explore a city where you always wanted to visit? Have you seen the country where your grand parents or great-grandparents lived?

I am semi-retired due to health problems. Heck, if I had the money I would be traveling all the time.
I have two friends (a married couple) who substitute teach the first two weeks of each month and make a trip someplace for the rest of the month. I am really jealous of them and that they can afford to travel that much.

Maybe take a class & learn a new skill.

Perhaps take a walk around your neighborhood every day instead of your nap.

Good luck to you.

Old 08-19-2012, 01:53 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,053,480 times
Perhaps a low dose of an antidepressant might help? Has anyone suggested that to you? Low energy, loss of interest, and sleeping so much could be symptoms of depression, or a number of other things, like thyroid, cancer, etc etc. Have you had a physical lately? I am not a doctor, and cannot diagnose, but there are so many interesting things to see and do in the world that I sincerely hope you will find them. Good luck and best wishes.

Old 08-19-2012, 02:47 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,920,807 times
Quote:
Why are you going to a psychiatrist instead of a psychologist, social worker, or therapist?

Sounds like you are just plain bored . . .that's not a mental health issue . . .maybe you just need some new habits . . .try a life coach . . . do something different every day . . .go on vacation . . . check out the Meetup offerings in your city.

Old 08-19-2012, 05:48 PM

506 posts, read 1,160,287 times
You should like start dating.

Old 08-19-2012, 08:07 PM

1 posts, read 3,920 times
Aging. I wasn't prepared for it. We are part of a youth culture. I'm 60, lost my retirement investments and have to work until the duration - 70? I don't want to get up now as it is, but without my work schedule I'd stay home and in bed and not have as much stimulation or things to think about. So, I'm not able to retire and nap and worry about myself.

But, I'm also aging. I'm also grieving a lot of things that either did or did not happen. I work in a nonprofit, and have armed myself with many years of meditation studies. So, I try to have compassion for myself, and for others. I try to understand that back when I made choices to leave a tired but not irreconcilable marriage that I was just not quite long-sighted enough and for that I should deserve compassion. That is part of my aging process. Making friends with myself one day at a time.

A lot of good advice is given by these responses, a lot of ideas on volunteerism. I do believe that focusing on making someone else's life better will lead to great personal joy. But sometimes we also just got to give our animal bodies a rest.

After my baby left for college I rested on the weekends for over a year. Well meaning people said, "go volunteer", "study a language" etc., but I let myself lay fallow for a year. While working during the week I let myself just sleep and hibernate all winter and then through the next 3 seasons. My energy got better after that.

Maybe start with small pleasures, small freedoms you are able to enjoy. People who worked 9-5 for 30 years haven't had any autonomy in their whole life - everything always so structured. So maybe give yourself a "new" structure that is self chosen.

One of my retired friends whom I consider is doingn well, seeks "activities" outside the home once a day. He also pays for dance lessons, because that lets him embrace a female and of many ages in the group classes, and is invigorating as a single man.

Your post only spoke about yourself, so I assume you are living alone. 50% of Americans live alone, it's just the way things are these days. I am exploring getting a roommate. I'm planning to fix the spare bedroom into a "bed and breakfast" but more on the lines of the couch surving, and host people new to the area for a few days to weeks. That way I'm not stuck with roommates, remain in control of the situation, but don't live alone. And, maybe meet interesting people whom I might want to one day visit. I wish you good luck in exploring how to make your later years full of solace, meaning and wisdom. I think that's the real opportunity - to become the wise man on the block and that brings up the questions - if you were a wise man on the block how would you act? I hear you don't want to do anything right now, just nap, so I posit that as a little question in case you remember some older person who gave your some advice in your young life, and how very important an elderly wise person role can be.....and, always read books. But, don't care about the neighbors and the Jones, if you had a big work life that has made you tired let yourself sleep. No Right Ways to live, but life is a precious opportunity and perhaps there is more out there and calling to you than you're able to hear if you have a pillow on your head.

Old 08-20-2012, 04:58 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
I spent a Half hour yesterday composing a reply and now i dont see it
Any how the gist of it was the mental dead end i seem to be in whereby i just dont feel like doing anything anymore, all my old hobbies of fishing,camping,hiking, motorcycles,sportscars,traveling are just that old hobbies.friends have over the years drifted away and family treats me like i dont exist, its like the fire for life has gone out. and i'm not sure how to relight it.
psychiatrist / psychologist i'm not sure of the difference but the ones i have seen are rather useless at telling me what the problem is, the one i'm seeing today evidently is an advocate of Adlarian psychology. Your diagnosis of being just plain bored sounds right to me but with the lack of passion to do anything about it i'm unsure of how to get out of this situation
A bit of personal info
65 and 5yrs into retirement
Diabetic and overweight
Happily married with two teenage daughters
2 cats
financially secure..
Highlights of my day? interacting on this forum and going for another nap.
Thats pretty sad Jim

Thanks

Old 08-20-2012, 05:18 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,265,853 times
Quote:
Hello fellow retiree..I will be 65 in December and although I can sympathize with you with regard to being stuck on OLD at times, life has to be more than boring and passionless for you?? There are so many activities out there if you are well enough to go after them. Do you have friends the same age as you? Do you have any Senior activities around you? The local schools are often times looking for someone to come read to the kids or help them with their work..have you thought of that? How about the local hospital? Sometimes they will ask for volunteers to help with the newborns..rock the babies so the nurses can feed the other babies..its truly helpful.

The psychiatrists are more than likely correct...depression is a rather common occurence when some people get older and retire and it is also very common that sleep is a huge escape route when you can't find something to occupy your time. Stop giving them your money and push yourself al little more to get out...even a walk at the park, shopping, lunch with a friend. You have to keep on moving if you want to have those next healthy 20 years.

Where I live, I am surrounded by Seniors..its an older neighborhood and me at 64, I am the baby of the group. My neighbor behind me is 93! She is still driving, does her own grocery shopping, attends church and can be found out on her porch with her Red Sox Cap on, sunglasses and radio blasting listening to a BOSOX game. She is hard of hearing so we also get to hear the game. Across the street from her, is her brother and his wife. He is mid to upper 80's. Then, across from us is the Sister In Law who owns this gorgeous piece of property and gardens like a mad woman at 88 years old. She just came to see us yesterday with some tomatoes she picked. All of these people MOVE, get out and socialize, visit...it is heart warming to see them.

Send me a message any time you are feeling sad about getting old..we can talk and perhaps I can send you that boost you need to get out and do some "feel good" stuff!! Take Care.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:55 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,685,474 times
God I'm like this and im 23. Im totally screwed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health