U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 07:09 PM

3 posts, read 4,851 times

Advertisements

jani does not have schizophrenia. she would be scared out of her mind. this child fears nothing. her sociopath father is happy about this act, hes making money on it, plus it gives him attention. she is a spoiled brat, nothing more. a parent says "stop doing that, it makes you look funny" they let her do what she wants, that's the problem. her school teachers said she is uncontrollable and a disruptive. yea, this girl is nothing more than a brat. she had no mental illness, she playing everyone. why? cause shes getting away with it. it feeds her little ego. her , rubbing her hands has become habit, why? everyones paying attention. I bet if you put jani in a room full of adults and all the adults ignored her she would go ballistic. she was in a classroom , teachers paying attention to all students, jani becomes disruptive so the attention is all on her.................doesn't anyone get it. oh, I have a heart, but im not blind. if she were an angel id say it. telling her dad she wants to kill herself,? attention. give her to me for a day, I will pull drill sergeant on her see how fast her attitude changes.........that's what she needs. DISCIPLINE. IDIOT PARENTS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 04:19 PM

17,455 posts, read 16,321,639 times
The Schofield family has really had to deal with a lot.
'Born Schizophrenic': 2 Mentally Ill Children Threaten to Tear Family Apart - ABC News

Old 06-13-2014, 08:20 PM

10,137 posts, read 14,640,815 times
I am not disputing UCLA at all, but having exp with mental health, I side with the Europeans that don't believe in diagnosing kids until they are adults, 18.

After watching Stephen Fry's movie on BP I was disturbed by the amount of meds some American mothers were giving their kids. One kid had a large ziplock of meds just for the day.

Old 08-22-2015, 08:38 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,152,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
I am not disputing UCLA at all, but having exp with mental health, I side with the Europeans that don't believe in diagnosing kids until they are adults, 18.

After watching Stephen Fry's movie on BP I was disturbed by the amount of meds some American mothers were giving their kids. One kid had a large ziplock of meds just for the day.

I have to disagree with you and wonder if you really know what you are talking about re Jani Schofield. Have you seen the videotapes? Have you listened to the one of the most renowned neuroscientists in the world state unequivocally that she is schizophrenic?

I have seen one other child in a condition similar to Jani's. These kids WILL NOT LIVE to age 18. They are violent, they self injure. Jani tried to kill herself. The young boy I had contact with (age 9) stabbed himself in the stomach. Stabbed his mother, too. Nine years old. How on earth could any family "wait this out" till age 18?

I've been following the Schofield family (they are pretty active on social media). Jani has stabilized to the point where she will be mainstreamed into regular classes. That is a pretty significant accomplishment.

Her younger brother, Bodhi, however, is also severely mentally ill. He is autistic, not very verbal. His doctors have stopped short of diagnosing him also as schizophrenic, although his mother believes this to be the case. They call his co-morbid condition "intermittent explosive disorder." He becomes so violent and out of control (hitting anyone near him, banging his head to the point of fracture) that he has to be hospitalized and restrained. This happens several times a month. So far, no medication has helped him. He also does not sleep - ever - which puts an enormous strain on everyone.

Bodhi is so much more ill and unstable than even January was. The father wants to throw in the towel and institutionalize him. The mother does not.

Sadly, the family has fractured. The father - the one who wrote so movingly of fighting for his daughter to get the help she needed and to keep her out of an institution - has left the family. He made one final entry on the Jani Foundation blog admitting that he has a relationship with another woman and that he just couldn't take the strain of raising two mentally ill children anymore.

Furthermore, he is leaving California because the new significant other wants to be close to her family. So he is leaving the mother holding the bag, essentially. Hard not to judge him for this.

For those of you who think the family has profited from telling their tale, I invite you to watch the videotapes Susan Schofield regularly posts on her Facebook page. They essentially live in a hovel - a two bedroom apartment (not a house) that barely has any furniture. She of course cannot hold down a job while caring for two sick children, and the father also is not stably employed.

Just a sad, sad situation. The mental health services in this country are shamefully lacking. No family should have to endure this.

Old 08-24-2015, 04:32 PM

17,455 posts, read 16,321,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post
Jani has stabilized to the point where she will be mainstreamed into regular classes. That is a pretty significant accomplishment.
That's very encouraging to hear.

Quote:
Sadly, the family has fractured. The father - the one who wrote so movingly of fighting for his daughter to get the help she needed and to keep her out of an institution - has left the family. He made one final entry on the Jani Foundation blog...
I didn't realize this. How horribly sad. I just looked up the blog you mentioned. I'm definitely not defending his actions, but can imagine that he felt he had been pushed to the brink.
Blog | Jani Foundation | "Socialization over Isolation"

Old 09-05-2018, 11:22 AM

2 posts, read 2,052 times
Has this child experienced trauma? That’s my first thought. Many traumatized kids have hallucinations. Often kids, when given positive reinforcement for behaviors, continue them. Seems more like autistic features. I find it annoying to see this child paraded by these parents like this. I smell trauma in the home and a child trying to cope. My quick thoughts from the outside.

Jennifer- child therapist

Old 09-05-2018, 11:25 AM

2 posts, read 2,052 times
She looked like a victim of DV to me. IMO and experience. Is it any wonder Jani is now doing better? Nooooo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health