U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 05:13 PM

3,376 posts, read 5,037,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8635angelvalley View Post
I understand completely and have been in the same situation. Buy several box fans and keep them near your bed,computer whatever. Box fans are your friends.
I wonder if I'm too close to the road for that to be effective.
Not trying to down the idea, but it seems like every day these exhaust kits are getting louder and more intensifying.
There's a whine with deep rumbles from those god-awful pick-up trucks, and then there's the "ricer" epidemic where a fart-cannon gets attached to the rear and the driver thinks that makes them more manly.
Then the Harleys and even some "crotch-rockets" where if your exhaust isn't loud enough, your face is getting beat in for showing weakness.

So yes, another relocation might be in the works once more.
Except this time, it's either going to be some ped/bike friendly, downtown area, or an-almost retirement community where I still work, but the majority of everyone living there is too old to care for the "performance" crazes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 05:40 PM

32,446 posts, read 13,431,416 times
I have poor hearing now, at 60, plus hyper-sensitive! It's totally weird, it's the Tinnitus, I guess. TV has to be really loud and yet I plug my ears if in an environment with weird, high pitched noise.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:54 AM

18,552 posts, read 22,379,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
I'm currently renting a motel room on a monthly basis since I'm on uncertain of how long I'll be sticking to this area. Once I've got six months at this current location, I'm seeking out a quieter setting.
Just be extra vigilant of where you move next. According to Noisefree.org, the Number 1 reason for people relocating is due to noise issues. So you relocate to this seemingly idyllic apartment complex, you get all settled in, and you're awakened by unwarranted noise the first night. And then, it clicks! The last tenants relocated because of the noise! No different than buying a house!

I'm a real stickler on noise, and subscribe to Noisefree.org and other anti-noise sites which can be very helpful!

Old 08-28-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Just be extra vigilant of where you move next. According to Noisefree.org, the Number 1 reason for people relocating is due to noise issues. So you relocate to this seemingly idyllic apartment complex, you get all settled in, and you're awakened by unwarranted noise the first night. And then, it clicks! The last tenants relocated because of the noise! No different than buying a house!

I'm a real stickler on noise, and subscribe to Noisefree.org and other anti-noise sites which can be very helpful!
As long as the neighbors don't have a vehicle with a modified, extra loud exhaust parked inside their living room, I'm good.
One thing I've narrowed it all down to is the fact that it's primarily vehicle exhaust noise alone that gets me irritated.
Loud music, gunfire, a train going by, helicopter flying over-head, these things don't bother me as often either due to the fact that I like these, or I just don't hear them often enough to be that irritated.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:50 AM

2,497 posts, read 6,522,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
I know it does that to me.
I've been having to live next to main roads for awhile now and it seems like everyone and their mom has a Harley Davidson, or some other vehicle with an excessively loud exhaust.
Some of the users of these things call it their "freedom of expression".
Seems more like oppressing others with our constant gripping of the throttle.

Any ways, I work at night and attempt to sleep during the day.
Whether it's the city I just moved from, or the one I just moved to, I feel that avoiding these noises is a losing battle.

We all know physically attacking these inbreds is unfortunately illegal, and cops won't do much of anything to enforce noise-pollution issues(potential revenue generator right there, why are they not pursuing it?).
I've tried head/earphones and they either come off when rolling around in sleep, or they're still not good at droning out the noise.
My only other option is to find a job/place in a car-free/light area or move off the beaten path some place.

As far as the "if it's too loud, you're too old" mentality goes, I'm 29 and never found a use for the audio output of these machines.
Your an ANGEL!!!! Lol! I have wanted to start a topic like this forever. I absolutley hate noise. Loud motorcycles are probably my #1. Followed by bass booming party cars, dumptrucks, trucks with loud exhaust. The library, when i was a kid and someone talked louder than a whisper they were made to quiet or leave, hell, now the library is as loud as a shopping mall. No respect. It's just the way the world is going, slowly people are caring less and less who they effect.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
No respect. It's just the way the world is going, slowly people are caring less and less who they effect.
I'm afraid this is the truth.
It used to be that if one had a loud vehicle, they would typically avoid a heavily populated neighborhood.
I'm back driving semi-trucks as a job and just like aircraft, we're heavily scrutinized in certain areas when it comes to noise.
Any violations usually lead to citations and fines, so we don't normally have to be told twice to ease up on the throttle.
However, the average Joe Blows will consider any type of "asking" to tone it down as "fighting words" and will either "gun it" on purpose, or call up their macho, sausage-fest crew to lay down a "lesson plan".

Just like there's anger management for those of us with that issue, perhaps they should start something along the lines of "intrusive noise management" for the persons I've described above.

This issue is getting too out-of-control in many areas.
The authorities and most of the general public are either too powerless to do anything, too ignorant of what's going on, or even egging it on themselves.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:11 PM

8,465 posts, read 10,146,843 times
I hold a special disdain for Harleys. Those things are painfully loud and their riders seem to have no regard for the ears of those people they ride by. Nothing like a quiet evening on the front porch, only to have a harley rider saunter down the road revving his bike over and over. Why do they need to do that on a quiet neighborhood street? Why make such a nuisance out of themselves? It's almost as if they get off on being as inconsiderate as possible. Just yesterday I was fueling my vehicle at a gas station, and a couple pumps over was a harley. When he finished, he started up, and sat there and revved it up a good 10 times. LOUDLY! Underneath the roof of that station it was ear-piercing. I shot him a dirty look, and I saw several others do the same. I wish they'd outlaw those damn bikes.

Ironically I work around airplanes so I'm around loud noise all the time. But that doesn't bother me at all. But I hear a harley and my heart is filled with hate.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:29 PM

12,478 posts, read 15,440,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
I hold a special disdain for Harleys. Those things are painfully loud and their riders seem to have no regard for the ears of those people they ride by. Nothing like a quiet evening on the front porch, only to have a harley rider saunter down the road revving his bike over and over. Why do they need to do that on a quiet neighborhood street? Why make such a nuisance out of themselves? It's almost as if they get off on being as inconsiderate as possible. Just yesterday I was fueling my vehicle at a gas station, and a couple pumps over was a harley. When he finished, he started up, and sat there and revved it up a good 10 times. LOUDLY! Underneath the roof of that station it was ear-piercing. I shot him a dirty look, and I saw several others do the same. I wish they'd outlaw those damn bikes.

Ironically I work around airplanes so I'm around loud noise all the time. But that doesn't bother me at all. But I hear a harley and my heart is filled with hate.

I hate all noise, but mostly constant/consistent noise. I too hate,despise Harleys. Also diesel pick-up trucks. The neighbors on each side of me both have them. Is there something about diesel trucks requiring a 15+ minute warm up? They do this each morning around 4-5am. Then sit in the truck revving the engine

Old 08-29-2012, 07:28 PM

8,712 posts, read 10,294,951 times
yes it does. i can't stand it.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:06 PM

1,261 posts, read 4,787,434 times
HATE loud noise too. Stupid people like loud noises.

Greenchili
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or