U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2012, 10:41 PM

3,376 posts, read 5,034,989 times

Advertisements

I lost count of revvs after 30 in 30 minutes. With all the people supposedly out of work, I often wonder where and how they get the money for these overpriced machines. Another way these things could be mitigated is by applying tax specifically to vehicle exhaust modification parts when purchased. And just like firearms registration, have the owners get a permit for it.

All proceeds will go towards people not wanting to initiate a lynch mob against them. So much unrest and anger in the air, and these LCDs aren't helping to make it less painful.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 12:35 AM

8,712 posts, read 10,291,602 times
there's a lot of kids that ride around the neighborhood here in the burbs letting everyone in earshot hear what song they're listening to. they think it makes them look cool but it just makes them look like morons who will have tinnitus in 10 years.

Old 08-30-2012, 06:00 AM

2,095 posts, read 2,685,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
there's a lot of kids that ride around the neighborhood here in the burbs letting everyone in earshot hear what song they're listening to. they think it makes them look cool but it just makes them look like morons who will have tinnitus in 10 years.
My favorite is when they are wearing EARBUDS and still I can hear their crappy music.

Newsflash kids: no one thinks you're cool for making yourself go deaf.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildaLoo View Post
My favorite is when they are wearing EARBUDS and still I can hear their crappy music.

Sadly, I find myself having to exactly this to drown out the noise I'm trying to avoid.
I've been looking into noise-canceling earbuds from Bose and such.
They're out there, but it looks like a sacrificial pretty-penny if I ever get it off the ground.

It's one thing to listen to loud music, but when you're trying to enjoy some smooth jazz without having the joy sucked out of it by a street-rod, something's got to be done STAT.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:01 PM

8,712 posts, read 10,291,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildaLoo View Post

LOL. this happened in the office where I work, there was a boy with music blasted in his earbuds sounded like some emo, screamo crap. He didn't even hear the nurse when she called him several times to come to the back. tsk.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:23 PM

Judging by the responses from this thread, I've come to the conclusion that we all have our own definition of loud, distasteful noise.
By a wide, observational margin, it seems to be evenly split between those of us that are irritated by loud music, and those of us that are irritated by loud motor vehicle exhausts.

Loud music seems to be the easier to manage of these two.
Call the cops, tell them to turn it down, no decibel meters or anything of that particular nature required to issue warnings or citations.

Loud pickups, cars and motorcycles on the other hand seem to be a tad more difficult to get a clamp down on when it comes to certain areas.
From the NoiseOFF website, there's an article in there that talks about how the aftermarket parts industry has actually tweaked some of the regulations there in regards to how LE officers are supposed to identify and issue citations for exhaust noise violations.
Among the things that the Aftermarket industry pushed forward, it includes the use of decibel meters and requiring LE officers to go through specific training lest the citation just gets thrown out of court and the offender is free to continue harassing everyone.

I would post more about it here, but the fact of the matter is that appears the companies that sell these wastes of material are more concerned about losing money than they are about possible effects to health and life.
Guess nothing will really change until some maniac finally loses and stuffs a banana up a random tailpipe.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:02 PM

10,703 posts, read 5,182,833 times
Default when sound hurts

Yes, the sound of motorcycles (as well as some other machinery) physically pains me-I identify with many posts here about such experiences (sensory perceptions).

Highly recommend this marvelous book, which I read & took notes on (of course, it only elucidates the problem). George Prochnik's "In Pursuit of Silence: Listening for Meaning in a World of Noise", 2010.
Excerpts (quotations) from it-

pg.20: "...the great dilemma behind the advocacy of silence: To effectively promote silence, how does one keep from becoming louder than the sources of noise one is protesting against ?"

pg.131: "...[in Spike Lee's 'Do The Right Thing'] the boom box became a weapon of resistance against the system. It serves as a textbook illustration for how self-expression, when it happens in the form of noise, translates into self-assertion-which in turn threatens property boundaries. The bigger your sound, the more territory you dominate."

pg.196: "Soundproofing is terrific like bulletproof flak jackets are terrific. But wouldn't it be better still if we didn't have to worry about getting shot all the time ?

pg.203: "The Noise Control Act remains on the books to this day-and the EPA is legally obliged to enforce its provisions."..."But no one seems to remember that the act exists. Ever since the Office of Noise Abatement and Control was stripped of its budget under President Reagan, the progressive act has remained in limbo."

Old 09-06-2012, 08:13 AM

15,803 posts, read 9,804,498 times
Yes, loud noises, especially sudden loud noises - or sudden noise period - puts me on edge. I live in the city so most traffic noises are pretty much white noise for me. Exceptions to that include the full throttle motorcycles and some particularly rumbly buses and cargo trucks with air brakes - as well as emergency vehicles with sirens blaring. Two-stroke engines, like leaf-blowers are wretched!

Perfect example of traffic noise being an issue is that I loved our trip to Italy but one negative that always comes up is how much I hated the scooter noise in Rome. It would wear me down and I'd need a Calgon-take-me-away moment!

As for music: blaring bass from passing cars is bad and I can't stand to have earbuds or earphones on even if the volume is low - and I hate hearing the buzz from other people's earbuds. Also don't like having the TV volume too high and agree about movie theatre volumes usually being too loud for me. I do like music but can't have it on all the time - my ears/brain needs a break. I can enjoy a rock concert or crank up the volume for some favorite tunes but then need to dial it back - and absolutely detest starting a car in which the radio has been left on so that it barks out at you as soon as the key turns in the ignition.

I get the impression that, overall, my hearing and my reaction to what I hear, is more sensitive than most people's. My husband thinks so too. I live in an apartment (with old thick walls) and often am aware of sounds from the hall, neighboring apartments, and stairwell (even a couple floors down). Everyone else who lives here says they never hear a peep. Even quiet sounds can distract/irritate me if they're insistent or out of place. On the other hand, the boom of fireworks doesn't bother me, in fact, it can be exhilarating - but that might be because it's pretty and anticipated, not sudden and unexpected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
The library, when i was a kid and someone talked louder than a whisper they were made to quiet or leave, hell, now the library is as loud as a shopping mall. No respect. It's just the way the world is going, slowly people are caring less and less who they effect.
Argh - library noise is a pet peeve of mine, too - what is up with all the chatter!? Some public libraries around me have special quiet rooms now - they're miniscule and packed, and not as quiet as regular library reading rooms were back in the day.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:14 AM

As a truck driver, I get overly agitated at other truckers who equip their rigs with unmuffled Jake-brakes.
These are the type of compression brakes that slow the engine speed down and save wear on the wheel brakes.
However, the unmuffled types are the ones that sound like a lower RPM version of a Harley engine.
To make matters worse, some of these guys keep their engine brakes on while cruising through a downtown area or a truck-stop fuel island.
They may forget to flip the switch, but more often than not they have Harley Davidson or Flowmaster stickers/advertisements all over their trucks which clearly states their support for loud vehicles.

To make matters worse, there's not too many people where I work and live currently that share my views on loud, POS motorcycles and such.
I get talked down or coerced into joining their ilk and flatly refuse it.
As much as I don't want politics to dictate, I'm afraid there's a strong correlation between the admiration of loud vehicles and voting habits.

I see myself as that odd-ball that likes all aspects of rural life; hunting, shooting, fishing, country music, livestock, yet eschews the stereotypical over-sized pickup truck.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:30 PM

Location: The source of gun control protesters ( no i'm not one of them )
16 posts, read 15,285 times
I also hate motorcycles and pickup trucks having to be so loud. whenever I go out somewhere it's like almost every vehicle has a loud exhaust. I wonder why actions aren't being taken to stop this noise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or