Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 03:05 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,789,116 times

Advertisements

I don't spend time worrying about what other people think because I don't care.

Are you happy or unhappy - that is truly the question. If you are happier alone, then do that.

I have to have some alone time but I also enjoy being around people. I don't care if anyone likes me because I like them, and so if for some reason they didn't like me, I would assume there is something wrong WITH THEM. Besides, how would you even know? It's not like people walk around and broadcast their own thoughts.

Unless you can read minds, no one really has to worry about what others think.

Who cares? Just enjoy yourself the way you choose because it doesn't matter anyway...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2012, 02:07 AM

75 posts, read 157,423 times
I know how you feel, I dont have friends either. I been burn so much. that I have a big trust problem. and that goes for my family to. I think my family member are so cold and negitive.I dont like to be around them that much. I just have my husband and my dogs. that what make me happy.so I think there is nothing wrong with you.

Old 11-22-2012, 11:37 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,789,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisewoman59 View Post
I know how you feel, I dont have friends either. I been burn so much. that I have a big trust problem. and that goes for my family to. I think my family member are so cold and negitive.I dont like to be around them that much. I just have my husband and my dogs. that what make me happy.so I think there is nothing wrong with you.

I HEAR you. Just spent Thanksgiving day with my hubby & my darling daughter. (And my two dogs). No drama. Felt loved and cared about, and let them know it's reciprocated. Chilled out, relaxed.

A great day, when you spend it with people you love and who love YOU, instead of making duty visits to high-maintenance, quarrelsome relatives & in-laws.

Old 11-23-2012, 09:55 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,730,395 times
Not everything has a need or 'gets something' out of interpersonal relationships. Can't tell the masses that though, they think it's best for everyone to go along with what they've decided.

Old 11-24-2012, 09:00 AM

36 posts, read 59,205 times
No, it's not wrong. I was so relieved to be reading this thread because I'm currently undergoing a stupid, LENGTHY argument between me and two of my aunts. I've never had a lot of friends -- the most was 5 at once, and they were from one girl I befriended. This caused me to feel like I didn't belong anywhere or I was missing something. Throughout my middle and high school years, I spoke to the school counselor and had 2 classmates I called upon and no friends.

Actually, I prefer to spend time alone and I don't speak to my relatives much. I was one of the younger kids in my family. What would we talk about? My aunts and uncles grew up a long time ago in a more traditional world. They don't understand this, although my cousins -- their kids -- certainly do.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:50 AM

75 posts, read 149,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
Actually so far as what other people think, think about that...

They are going around wondering what you are thinking about them! That is what they are thinking!
So true.

We only have one life to live (as far as we know). Live it in the manner which fits for you. Personally, I am estranged from my Father and only Brother, I tried to mend fences, even went as far as going to therapy, both for myself, and in joint sessions with them. But in the end I realized they are not trustworthy people and will never love me unconditionally. I said good bye a long time ago and have no regrets. I ended up
Moving 1,000 miles away from them and created a good life; full of a small selective set of family and friends who "get" me and love me unconditionally. I have no problems spending long periods alone, I enjoy it.

You sound young, maybe I am wrong but it doesn't matter. I am about to turn 49. I have learned many things in those years. We don't chose our families and if they cause us pain we have the right to leave them. If you are a smart person, it is difficult to navigate thru current society. Unfortunately, many people as selfish, myopic and are incapable of providing unconditional love. I wish it wasn't that way, but it is and smart person will always be to some degree an outcast in society.

It is your life to live and live it the way that provide you with the most happiness.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:57 PM

806 posts, read 2,341,221 times
I find it better to live away from my family.. I don't have the same social outlook as they do. I am not content living that type of lifestyle, trying to keep up with the Jonses.. I like to get out and explore, they like to go out to eat..
So, You are not alone or weird.
I have moved around a lot and we have made a good life for our kids.
We don't need our parents interfering or preventing us from living our lives the way we want to..

Old 11-28-2012, 06:41 AM

75 posts, read 149,780 times
I agree with KAILNI you are not alone or weird!

Old 05-01-2018, 07:08 PM

1 posts, read 798 times
First: I don't trust anyone in my family and have been hurt deeply by all of them.
Second: I don't even like their personalities.
Third: I distrust groups and find them exhausting.
Fourth: I am psychically vulnerable to the point that I want to live on a desert island.

Old 05-01-2018, 07:25 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
What fear I have would be to lose one's mind with no stimulation in it from others. I need and want others in my life and thank goodness they are there. I'm losing people due to death, aging, and illness but I can't imagine being alone with no mind stimulation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health