Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2012, 08:03 AM

377 posts, read 575,745 times

Advertisements

It is well known that people who convert to any kind of behavior are pests. Well I never understood dog-lovers until I was 64YO when I, all alone, finally decided to try out dog care. I got my first dog, bichon frise/westie from a neighbor, a no-no, and Galileo was born on my birthday. So we celebrated his first birthday and my Medicare birthday on the same day.

The first thought was "What am I doing?". I was reliving my diaper life in my head. It didn't turn out that way at all. Dogs were easier to train than my own kids. Since my son refused to talk (first born) as a toddler, I was used to other forms of communication and it all came back to me. Once in a while I would forget call Galileo my son's name.

As years went by, keeping up with dog news and advice on Internet, I came to the conclusion that dogs reach the age of 2YO human. Now it's getting to be discussed all over the place.

So now I honestly believe that if a family member seems a bit out of line, impatient with me, I offer to have them take dog training at my expense with my Baruch (Spinoza). I followed my own advice recently and discovered that dog training had changed since I was involved with it. And ended up retraining me.

I wish there were more suggestions by mental health pro's that family members borrow their parents dog and take dog training. It's hard to be accepted if the family member wasn't brought up with dogs.
Also, the new methods in dog training should be revisited by old folks like myself.

Something one can't talk about with a PCP to even get permission to use this tool to see a mental health professional in your insurance plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health