U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-11-2012, 02:05 AM
 
8 posts, read 12,567 times
Reputation: 20

Advertisements

Only when you're around people.

I get drunk by myself, and only myself...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-11-2012, 01:04 PM
 
3 posts, read 3,452 times
Reputation: 13
Hmm maybe they are since being alcoholic means you have a total disregard of the people around you. They will sacrifice everything to see to their dependency and continued intoxication is their only goal. Such a shame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2012, 02:03 PM
 
Location: Old Town Alexandria
14,495 posts, read 24,236,487 times
Reputation: 8847
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
I have just finished watching a reality tv show about an alcoholic attempting to detox at home.

It worked but it was pretty clear that once the cameras and the nurse left, the patient was going to start drinking again. This woman was consuming around 6 bottles of wine a day, even drinking during the night.

She had gone through multiple treatment centres and detoxes over the years, been banned from some of them, because of her sheer lack of respect for the help she was given. She had a very good career which she lost, she hasn't worked for years now.

She acted up for the cameras (a lot was cut out), throwing tantrums when the doctor wouldn't prescribe her extra tranquilisers, and basically appeared to be the saddest, most hopeless individual you can imagine.

......edited for brevity

The hook to all this is I know this woman, she is one of my oldest (now ex) friends. She recently got engaged to my ex husband and is joining in with him in turning my kids against me. They all facebook etc. I had to close mine because of nasty messages I was getting from her about my kids and my parenting skills.

I just cannot believe that there are people like that out there, who are so bloated with their own selfish and immature craving for drama. People are posting comments about how "brave" she is appearing on camera, all I see is a woman who can NEVER get enough attention...that's why she became a drunk in the first place.

OP, your are correct-

I used to be married to one. Hence, I cant read the "drama" and all that in the post (nor watch trash tv about it)

BECAUSE when you are living it, it is a heck of a lot different than some stupid reality show. And imo trash info-tainment media contributes to the problem. Instead of talking about solutions, Dr Drew talks about charlie sheen and how cool and funny it all is .

It destroys people. And society has a long way to go when it comes to these issues and problems. I dont see much progress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2012, 02:19 PM
 
Location: Philaburbia
33,085 posts, read 61,917,090 times
Reputation: 55528
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneShins View Post
Hmm maybe they are since being alcoholic means you have a total disregard of the people around you.
Many times it means you have an underlying mental illness and are self-medicating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2012, 06:44 PM
 
Location: Australia
4,004 posts, read 5,456,536 times
Reputation: 6803
Update - tv drunk appeared ONE DAY LATER on the same show "update"....drunk again.

She had 6 days of live in detox care by a professional nurse, paid for by the tv channel, detoxed, and less than one day later was back drinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2012, 07:15 PM
 
Location: Mammoth Lakes, CA
3,281 posts, read 7,221,326 times
Reputation: 8023
What total nonsense. I guess the OP doesn't understand that alcoholism is a disease (insert collective exclamation of "Duh!") So if someone is a diabetic, they are are "the most selfish person in the world?"

Why not learn some something about diseases before posting such nonsense?

We would all thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2012, 07:16 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
74,912 posts, read 87,324,236 times
Reputation: 45473
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
I have just finished watching a reality tv show about an alcoholic attempting to detox at home.

It worked but it was pretty clear that once the cameras and the nurse left, the patient was going to start drinking again. This woman was consuming around 6 bottles of wine a day, even drinking during the night.

She had gone through multiple treatment centres and detoxes over the years, been banned from some of them, because of her sheer lack of respect for the help she was given. She had a very good career which she lost, she hasn't worked for years now.

She acted up for the cameras (a lot was cut out), throwing tantrums when the doctor wouldn't prescribe her extra tranquilisers, and basically appeared to be the saddest, most hopeless individual you can imagine.

She was a physical wreck too, and had destroyed her insides by drinking cheap booze. She had liver disease and recurrent pancreatitis.

The hook to all this is I know this woman, she is one of my oldest (now ex) friends. She recently got engaged to my ex husband and is joining in with him in turning my kids against me. They all facebook etc. I had to close mine because of nasty messages I was getting from her about my kids and my parenting skills.

I just cannot believe that there are people like that out there, who are so bloated with their own selfish and immature craving for drama. People are posting comments about how "brave" she is appearing on camera, all I see is a woman who can NEVER get enough attention...that's why she became a drunk in the first place.

wow, how little you know and understand the human body and mind. Do you think people addicted to any drug, even caffine are addicted by choice or can control their addictilon? Take smokers for instance, I was one for years and tried quitting many times. Thank God I finally was able to say good bye addiction, but many can't and for any of us to judge their addictions is totally selfish, they are not, we are, if we do judge them. Do I understand them or why they can not just walk away? No, but I would never say they are selfish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2012, 07:35 PM
 
10 posts, read 10,840 times
Reputation: 29
If you had a face like mine, you'd probably want to drink yourself into oblivion. After a few drinks, I stop caring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2012, 07:44 PM
 
Location: Australia
4,004 posts, read 5,456,536 times
Reputation: 6803
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
wow, how little you know and understand the human body and mind. Do you think people addicted to any drug, even caffine are addicted by choice or can control their addictilon? Take smokers for instance, I was one for years and tried quitting many times. Thank God I finally was able to say good bye addiction, but many can't and for any of us to judge their addictions is totally selfish, they are not, we are, if we do judge them. Do I understand them or why they can not just walk away? No, but I would never say they are selfish.
Clearly you don't know any.

For every boozed up alcy there are at least a dozen people who have suffered and suffered over the years from watching the alcy wilfilly destroy their lives...and in my case, try to reach out and hurt mine too.

This woman has been in and out of every single rehab facility in the country. She actually said to me "I dont belong in rehab...rehab is full of DRUGGIES and disgusting people".

At what point does it cease being a disease and start becoming a lifestyle choice?

She has been detoxed a THOUSAND times...and every time, straight back to the liquor store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2012, 07:45 PM
 
Location: southern born and southern bred
12,478 posts, read 15,441,985 times
Reputation: 19530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
What total nonsense. I guess the OP doesn't understand that alcoholism is a disease (insert collective exclamation of "Duh!") So if someone is a diabetic, they are are "the most selfish person in the world?"

Why not learn some something about diseases before posting such nonsense?

We would all thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
wow, how little you know and understand the human body and mind. Do you think people addicted to any drug, even caffine are addicted by choice or can control their addictilon? Take smokers for instance, I was one for years and tried quitting many times. Thank God I finally was able to say good bye addiction, but many can't and for any of us to judge their addictions is totally selfish, they are not, we are, if we do judge them. Do I understand them or why they can not just walk away? No, but I would never say they are selfish.

I bow to your common sense. Finally voices of reason on this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

¬© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top