U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 03:11 PM

4,004 posts, read 5,455,985 times

Advertisements

I have just finished watching a reality tv show about an alcoholic attempting to detox at home.

It worked but it was pretty clear that once the cameras and the nurse left, the patient was going to start drinking again. This woman was consuming around 6 bottles of wine a day, even drinking during the night.

She had gone through multiple treatment centres and detoxes over the years, been banned from some of them, because of her sheer lack of respect for the help she was given. She had a very good career which she lost, she hasn't worked for years now.

She acted up for the cameras (a lot was cut out), throwing tantrums when the doctor wouldn't prescribe her extra tranquilisers, and basically appeared to be the saddest, most hopeless individual you can imagine.

She was a physical wreck too, and had destroyed her insides by drinking cheap booze. She had liver disease and recurrent pancreatitis.

The hook to all this is I know this woman, she is one of my oldest (now ex) friends. She recently got engaged to my ex husband and is joining in with him in turning my kids against me. They all facebook etc. I had to close mine because of nasty messages I was getting from her about my kids and my parenting skills.

I just cannot believe that there are people like that out there, who are so bloated with their own selfish and immature craving for drama. People are posting comments about how "brave" she is appearing on camera, all I see is a woman who can NEVER get enough attention...that's why she became a drunk in the first place.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 04:54 PM

3,572 posts, read 6,729,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
I have just finished watching a reality tv show about an alcoholic attempting to detox at home.

It worked but it was pretty clear that once the cameras and the nurse left, the patient was going to start drinking again. This woman was consuming around 6 bottles of wine a day, even drinking during the night.

She had gone through multiple treatment centres and detoxes over the years, been banned from some of them, because of her sheer lack of respect for the help she was given. She had a very good career which she lost, she hasn't worked for years now.

She acted up for the cameras (a lot was cut out), throwing tantrums when the doctor wouldn't prescribe her extra tranquilisers, and basically appeared to be the saddest, most hopeless individual you can imagine.

She was a physical wreck too, and had destroyed her insides by drinking cheap booze. She had liver disease and recurrent pancreatitis.

The hook to all this is I know this woman, she is one of my oldest (now ex) friends. She recently got engaged to my ex husband and is joining in with him in turning my kids against me. They all facebook etc. I had to close mine because of nasty messages I was getting from her about my kids and my parenting skills.

I just cannot believe that there are people like that out there, who are so bloated with their own selfish and immature craving for drama. People are posting comments about how "brave" she is appearing on camera, all I see is a woman who can NEVER get enough attention...that's why she became a drunk in the first place.

Uh. She "destroyed her insides" from drinking TOO MUCH "booze". Suggesting "cheap" = less healthy and thus that premium "booze" is somehow healthier is WRONG. Alcohol is alcohol. Abusing alcohol abuses your body and will eventually lead to very serious health problems. The way you suggest "cheap booze" is somehow worse sounds like some sort of justification or rationalization and denial on your part.

About the selfishness - anybody with an active addiction who thinks about nothing but getting their next fix will be selfish, regardless of what the addiction is.

Old 09-10-2012, 04:56 PM

44,246 posts, read 54,841,160 times
Yes. Addicts are some of the most selfish people on the planet.

Old 09-10-2012, 05:02 PM

35,107 posts, read 42,171,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
Uh. She "destroyed her insides" from drinking TOO MUCH "booze". Suggesting "cheap" = less healthy and thus that premium "booze" is somehow healthier is WRONG. Alcohol is alcohol. Abusing alcohol abuses your body and will eventually lead to very serious health problems. The way you suggest "cheap booze" is somehow worse sounds like some sort of justification or rationalization and denial on your part.

About the selfishness - anybody with an active addiction who thinks about nothing but getting their next fix will be selfish, regardless of what the addiction is.

Oh that is just a bunch of hooey, it was merely a statement that in your perception was not technically correct. I don't see any justification, rationalization or denial on the part of Ms.Thrope.

MsThrope, I am truly saddended that you have to go through this ordeal with your children and I do hope it all works out eventually and your children will see through the attempts by your ex husband and friend. Good luck and God Bless (if you believe)

Last edited by CSD610; 09-10-2012 at 05:04 PM.. Reason: Incorrect spelling correction.

Old 09-10-2012, 05:33 PM

12,478 posts, read 15,440,496 times
Quote:

so your comments are a bit biased and laced with just a dose of resentment.
I don't believe anyone becomes an addict for attention. That just make no sense at all.
No one chooses to be an addict.
My grandfather was an alcoholic. He did not choose to be one. He didn't take his first drink knowing it would be a life long struggle with many desperate times to come. Thankfully my family members recognized he did not make this choice and he was shown compassion.
Everyone who is an addict could use more compassion and less judging. He wasn't selfish either......he was a generous,good and kind person.

Old 09-10-2012, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post

I'm fairly sure plenty of expensive booze has been ingested over the years too, in fact I vaguely recall paying for some of it.

I've known this trout for over 30 years and she's been nothing but an endless stream of narcissm and drama, even before she ruined her health and life with booze. That hasn't happened over night either.

She's facebooking my kids, engaged to their dad, posting nasty crap on my page, about to dieeeeeee on national tv...and the cost of the booze is what strikes you as the wrongest thing?

ok....

Old 09-10-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
so your comments are a bit biased and laced with just a dose of resentment.
I don't believe anyone becomes an addict for attention. That just make no sense at all.
No one chooses to be an addict.
My grandfather was an alcoholic. He did not choose to be one. He didn't take his first drink knowing it would be a life long struggle with many desperate times to come. Thankfully my family members recognized he did not make this choice and he was shown compassion.
Everyone who is an addict could use more compassion and less judging. He wasn't selfish either......he was a generous,good and kind person.
Ok well she is a nasty, vicious piece of work that has never done a selfless act in her life.

You realise nasty people can become addicts as well as nice people, right? I am not talking about a "nice" drunk like your grandpa or even my own father, who was also alcoholic.

Don't judge me as compassionless until you've dealt with a drunken **** trying to ruin your life out of sheer envy and spite.

You would change your mind if you knew the people she has used and abused in her life, not only me but countless others including health professionals, AA sponsors, her family, her colleagues...on and on it goes...whether sober or not.

Of course I don't like seeing her as such a mess, and my first instinct is to call her. But that's what she wants. Just an endless cycle of attention.

The compassion dries up after you've been around say, 30 years. She keeps going because she keeps fooling new victims. The damn tv channel paid for her nurse and drugs! She was a movie star for a week!

The reporter actually asked her "do you want to stop drinking?" and her reply was " I want to live, and if I keep drinking I wont"...she couldn't even say the word YES.

Old 09-10-2012, 05:45 PM

12,478 posts, read 15,440,496 times
Quote:
I'm fairly sure plenty of expensive booze has been ingested over the years too, in fact I vaguely recall paying for some of it.

I've known this trout for over 30 years and she's been nothing but an endless stream of narcissm and drama, even before she ruined her health and life with booze. That hasn't happened over night either.

She's facebooking my kids, engaged to their dad, posting nasty crap on my page, about to dieeeeeee on national tv...and the cost of the booze is what strikes you as the wrongest thing?

ok....

Quote:
Ok well she is a nasty, vicious piece of work that has never done a selfless act in her life.

You realise nasty people can become addicts as well as nice people, right?

You would change your mind if you knew the people she has used and abused in her life, not only me but countless others including health professionals, AA sponsors, her family, her colleagues...on and on it goes.

The compassion dries up.

The reporter actually asked her "do you want to stop drinking?" and her reply was " I want to live, and if I keep drinking I wont"...she couldn't even say the word YES.

I honestly believe this thread belongs in relationships--not in a Health forum

Old 09-10-2012, 05:45 PM

3,572 posts, read 6,729,484 times
Quote:

ok....

I didn't say or suggest anything like that. However, you did say "....destroyed her insides by drinking cheap booze." It may not seem like a big deal, but there's a lot to that statement. You can re-read everything and think about and see what I mean, or not. I'm just giving you the opportunity by pointing it out. Understand, it's the 6 bottles of wine a day (quantity), not the grade (cheap or otherwise) that destroyed this woman's health.

Old 09-10-2012, 05:54 PM

9,362 posts, read 23,170,007 times
This thread is more about your anger at your ex's fiance and should be in relationships.

If your kids are teens and you have a good relationship with them, it's doubtful that their future step mom can turn them against you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health