Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 05:49 PM

8 posts, read 14,196 times

Advertisements

Has anyone tried to diagnose themselves? I always knew I was far from normal my whole life. I've been called a psycho alot of times. While information on the 'net may be highly inaccurate, it still makes me wonder. Some of them paint me as cold-blood serial killer, some of them paint me as the most miserable person on the planet. I have many, many abnormal traits which comes with the territory, like:

-Extreme loneliness
-Emotionally crippled
-Can't keep people in my life
-Can be oblivious to anything and everything at times
-My mind can go a thousand miles an hour to some truly freighting places
-Always willing to adapt instead of setting boundaries
-Seem to be unable to experience boredom
-Sometimes see suicide as the best way out regardless of situation
-Frequently mess with people for reaction/amusement

There are more, but I think that's the general idea. Can one know whether if sometimes he/she wonders how psycho they are, and know when they "snap" one day?

Am I being foolish (sometimes my ever overactive imagination can play tricks on my mind) or is this legit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 08:13 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,548,426 times
What were you doing when you were being called a psycho?

Have I self diagnosed? Heck yeah! I diagnose my family members as well. Of course, I don't take it too seriously. I believe that everyone has tendencies that could resemble some disorders. But, my understanding of the definition of "disorder" is when the tendency interferes with the functioning of your life. Whatever that means.

What is MY self diagnosis? Attention Deficit Disorder with a shot of Bi-Polar Disorder.

In other words, I'm a moody B that can't stay focused on boring stuff for too long.

I know that some folks who truly suffer from these disorders suffer immensely, as do their loved ones.
Unfortunately, in todays world it is difficult to know when a person is truly suffering from a disorder, or when they are being treated by a psychologist who is prescription happy.

More questions... What do you mean by "emotionaly crippled"?

Why do you think you can't keep people in your life? Do you feel you drove them away, did you just not hold their interest, or is there some other reason?

Old 09-11-2012, 12:21 AM

8 posts, read 14,196 times
This isn't a particular instance - I frequently get called that. You know when you're called something enough, you start believing that? Yeah.

ADHD? Meh. It was the diagnosis du jour of the '80s. I was labeled with ADHD when I was a kid.

I don't know if I have bipolar. I don't have mood swings. I don't look/act/feel suffering. I really can take punishment. Hence the reason why I think I am just severely emotionally crippled. I don't take medicine at all.

Emotionally crippled = unresponsive to feelings. I never show emotion. When I do, it's usually either funny or surprised. whenever I DO react, I usually laugh. That rarely go well with other people.

yea, I drive em away. It's either because I don't do anything, or because they are scared as hell of me.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:14 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,289,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crockpot View Post
Has anyone tried to diagnose themselves? I always knew I was far from normal my whole life. I've been called a psycho alot of times. While information on the 'net may be highly inaccurate, it still makes me wonder. Some of them paint me as cold-blood serial killer, some of them paint me as the most miserable person on the planet. I have many, many abnormal traits which comes with the territory, like:

-Extreme loneliness
-Emotionally crippled
-Can't keep people in my life
-Can be oblivious to anything and everything at times
-My mind can go a thousand miles an hour to some truly freighting places
-Always willing to adapt instead of setting boundaries
-Seem to be unable to experience boredom
-Sometimes see suicide as the best way out regardless of situation
-Frequently mess with people for reaction/amusement

There are more, but I think that's the general idea. Can one know whether if sometimes he/she wonders how psycho they are, and know when they "snap" one day?

Am I being foolish (sometimes my ever overactive imagination can play tricks on my mind) or is this legit?

little need to psychologically diagnose oneself when their are so many volunters nowadays only to ready and willing to engage in amateur psychoanalysis of others , apparently if you reject such free therapy , you have an attitude problem , apparently we should be gratefull to those who offer such opinion

Old 09-12-2012, 11:43 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,731,815 times
because of the access we all have to mental health information, it is like overload. people diagnosing themselves left and right without having had any formal training in that area. I have self diagnosed mental health/physical health. sometimes i was right and sometimes I was wrong. but just because you know some symptoms or read a blurb on webmd.com about an illness doesn't mean anything. if that was the case these people wouldn't be going to school for 8 plus years in these health fields. it goes beyond reading it in a textbook, most of them train in residencies treating dozens of real people with real symptoms until they are ready to graduate.

some of the behaviors you describe sound like various illnesses but one or two traits could throw it over into another category or ex out of another one, so on and so forth. bottomline: let a professional conclude what it all adds up to. anything else is just guessing.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:49 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,986,180 times
It's funny though, as many of the doctors misdiagnose BP2. So it makes me wonder about their training. I asked a VA doc if I could be BP2, her answer? Could be. She never tested me for it or for ADD either. I don't put much faith in doc's They are very uncomfortable when a patient is well read, as it tarnishes their God like image.

Getting back to the question, most every one has probably done some self diagnosing at one time or another. Certainly I have.

Depression, Bipolar II - frame

Old 09-12-2012, 02:05 PM

8,827 posts, read 7,328,244 times
I agree with docs not liking well read, smart people who educate themselves and may know more than they do. The ones they can fool all the time are favorites...
I think we all self diagnose...
I know I suffer from depression all my life and chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia...that alone is enough to keep me busy

Old 09-12-2012, 03:59 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
I agree with docs not liking well read, smart people who educate themselves and may know more than they do. The ones they can fool all the time are favorites...
I think we all self diagnose...
I know I suffer from depression all my life and chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia...that alone is enough to keep me busy
I'm pretty sure I'm down as a 'bad' patient since I'd come in and ask about side effects. I'd even be able to say I read it on the FDA report. They'd universally say, 'That's not common,' and dismiss my concern. For me its real medical concern and they didn't care about that even when it was explained. I'm done with that. No more pills.

There are also behavoral therapies to teach how to moderate moods and swings but that takes money and staff and you have to want it to work. Its not common, however, since it needs money and staff.

I actually did diagnose myself in highschool, after reading the chapter in our psych class about manic depression. Mom said I was the moodiest kid she'd ever seen and I knew how to cater to a mood even then. Turns out I was right.

Docs, especially the pdoc kind, like to feel like the font of knowledge and when you come in and say but that "........", something they hadn't read or forgot, then I think they prefer to blame you as stupid rather than realize that someone else can read too.

Old 09-15-2012, 05:48 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,279,635 times
Best thing to do is to self diagnose first, and then (if you feel you must)present it to the docs....who knows you better than you?...Great post MaggieZ

Old 09-15-2012, 10:03 PM

8,827 posts, read 7,328,244 times
thank you
exactly, who knows you better than you? Or at least that's how it should be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health