U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 07:14 AM

154 posts, read 331,909 times

Advertisements

I have been married 40 years to a really good man. Without writing a book, things have happened and I find myself not liking him as much as I used to. I still love him and would give him my last breath BUT I sometimes really don't like him and wish I could spend some "my time" away from him. I have no interest in other men OR women so don't go there. He has a lot of health issues but that's not why I don't like him so don't go there.....Is there anyone out there that has or has had the same feelings ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 07:22 AM

741 posts, read 1,444,733 times
I worry quite often of what is to come in my future with my husband when the kids all move out. I do not enjoy spending time with him very much. We have been married for 15 years and we love eachother. He likes spending time with me but I almost can't stand to be around him for very long before I get mad. For one thing he never shuts up. I like some quiet lulls. For another thing, he isn't concerned about making healthy choices like I am. He constantly pesters me for sex too. I'm almost 43 years old and I am not interested in sex every single day. There are lots of things that really annoy me that he does. I told him that when all of the kids move out I expect to be hiking every day so if he wants to be with me then he had better get in shape..lol

Old 09-12-2012, 10:58 AM

4,762 posts, read 11,671,942 times
I would say listen to your instincts. If you have been married for 40 years, then you certainly know a LOT more about relationships than myself or anyone I know!

I do know about my dad as he grew older (87). He became a very nasty person. And he was stubborn and independent. So would not listen to any suggestions or advice. And was hard of hearing, so didn't understand what people were saying.

I was able to "get through to him" by writing him letters. And when he did nasty things, I just said to myself that it was not "he" who was doing that - let it go in one ear and out the other. There would be no point in arguing with him or trying to discuss it. And I spent time with him and tried my best to make him happy in his last days. But I needed time away, the more the better.

There are other people on this forum who are quite familiar with what happens to people as they grow older. If you care to give a little more information about what changes your husband is going through, maybe they could offer some suggestions?

Old 09-12-2012, 04:31 PM

15,424 posts, read 22,649,300 times
I think everyone has been there who has been married for a significant time. Go for a weekend away with your friends, just to enjoy yourself!

Old 09-12-2012, 04:57 PM

6,506 posts, read 8,175,421 times
Yes, I've been there. Hubs is deceased so I have lots of time to myself now.

tazy, without being too specific, couldn't you just tell him that you really need a little time to yourself to regroup? Explain that while you love him, you just would like to have a day off now and then.

Old 09-12-2012, 05:24 PM

5,518 posts, read 10,214,821 times
We cannot change others--we can only change ourselves. If spouse becomes annoying, create a life that gives you space. No apologies needed, you're the captain of your own ship.

Create a life that delights YOU...see if he wants to cruise with you or if your new voyage is best done solo.

Sometimes you just need a marriage "sabbatical" to refresh your union--too much together time can be cloying, yes?

Old 09-12-2012, 09:30 PM

9,947 posts, read 17,861,267 times
Chiming in with the others and guessing you two are retired now so you're seeing each other a lot more than you used to so you probably do need a break. Also, health issues may be coming up and worrying you as to how that's all going to play out. If you can't get away for a bit, which I highly recommend, at least change things up some and get out of the rut--your feelings of dissatisfaction with yourself could be transferring onto him. (If that's the problem--I'm just guessing here.)

Old 09-14-2012, 09:21 AM

154 posts, read 331,909 times
Default Spouse

Thank you all. Everyone seems so on target. I love him but at times I feel smothered. I am making plans to take a small break. I may go visit my sister but I have NEVER been away from my husband overnight...That may seem odd but that's the truth. I have known him since I was 13. I am 61 now. Wehave been married for 40 years. No children..Maybe that makes a difference in our relationship. But I do need a break. Oh, backup I was away from him overnight at times when he had heart problems and was in the hospital.
Thanks to all of you...This helps

Old 09-14-2012, 09:30 AM

2,382 posts, read 4,664,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazymae2010 View Post
Thank you all. Everyone seems so on target. I love him but at times I feel smothered. I am making plans to take a small break. I may go visit my sister but I have NEVER been away from my husband overnight...That may seem odd but that's the truth. I have known him since I was 13. I am 61 now. Wehave been married for 40 years. No children..Maybe that makes a difference in our relationship. But I do need a break. Oh, backup I was away from him overnight at times when he had heart problems and was in the hospital.
I think my mom feels the way you do... she hadn't planned on retiring for a couple years but was let go. She's now home with Dad (who retired a couple years ago). Dad has always been more needy, I think. Thankfully - they both have their won hobbies. Dad isn't up for travel much, he hates an interuption in his routine so mom has started coming out to see both my sister and me (we're in differnt states).

I think it's totally reasonable for you to try and carve out time for yourself!

Old 09-14-2012, 08:04 PM

5,518 posts, read 10,214,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazymae2010 View Post
So glad you're doing this...just might be the break you need. Even a day away in a another city can be refreshing, too. Hope you'll report back after you visit with your sister to see if you've found your relationship with spouse refreshed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health