Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 05:08 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,933,713 times

Advertisements

At some point the attacks only get worse,Even yourself begins to think you are having a full blown heart attack. When you double over in pain, sweaty palms, dizy feeling there is always someone that calls the ER. You know what it is, but you have the feeling, what if.? The ER adds comfort . More Xanax is the only help you get, now you have too problems, one panic problems and now Xanax addiction. It goes on like this month after month, year after year. More Xanax will ward off the attacks, but, at what cost? It's a never ending circle.with no real answers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 03:49 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,670,625 times
mine just started last year at 49 and they have gotten worse. in fact in july i had surgery for cancer, the biopsy results are negative but i still need to have petscans for the next 2 years to catch anything since what was removed was a melanoma.

during the 6 weeks that i was running around preparing for the surgery the attacks seemed to quiet down but after i got the good news that there were no cancers found in the lymph nodes, the attacks came back with a vengeance.

it seems that the more 'petty" and routine the stimulus the worse the attacks are. i have cancelled almost 5 dental appts this year (i still was able to complete an exam, refilling and partial gum treatment but i am still shying away from the remaining 3 treatments) as well as a petscan for my cancer for which i will need a sedative when i go back.

yet i have no issue with needles or flying on planes.

and now i am having problems with heights, tho not all heights. last nite i went up into the train terminal(elevated platform) to add more $$ to my metrocard and i had an attack when i added more $$ my heart was pounding and i was sweating yet i had the bravery to come down the stairs tho i was very uncomfortable. nausea and shaky ankles are part of it

then it all subsides

then it starts over again

ive been feeling a vertigo like sensation the past few days

it's really affecting the quality of my life and its hard enough to have a quality life as it is with all my stress work and worry

Old 09-28-2012, 03:54 PM

i with with the mentally ill who smoke outside on a patio. im sure we get a whiff of the stuff all the time. i have heard that cig smoke contains formaldehyde which can trigger attacks. also i take a lot of meds including metformin which i think might have formaldehyde. i wonder if i'm intolerant to that chemical.

nothing is actually wrong with my gut i never vomit tho it feels like i will and strangely i feel better after eating. i had a colonoscopy and upper endoscopy results of all were very good

it hasn't gotten to the point where i am afraid to leave my house but even public transit which has been relaxing in the past now can trigger an attack and even walking is no longer as pleasurable as it used to be

Old 09-28-2012, 03:56 PM

i was on paxil from 2007 to 2010. i did the 8 week taper off. i stopped because my doc thought it was making me gain weight. i wonder if terminating paxil has done it and since i went off it i notice ive been more socially withdrawn as well

Old 09-29-2012, 07:15 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Go to your physician, or your mental health professional. You are possibly reacting to compounded stress this year and may need some medical help. I wish you well.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:56 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
I went to my doctor and had to go back on major medication as it got to the point I couldn't leave my house. It was awful. I tried to control it without medication and wasn't able to. I don't want to be on meds anymore, but unfortunately it is necessary.

I think there are people can control them without meds or limited, but times you can't.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:23 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,785,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I went to my doctor and had to go back on major medication as it got to the point I couldn't leave my house. It was awful. I tried to control it without medication and wasn't able to. I don't want to be on meds anymore, but unfortunately it is necessary.

I think there are people can control them without meds or limited, but times you can't.

glad you went to the doc and glad the meds are working. Don't go by the anti-med folks; go by how YOU feel and if it works then take it.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:52 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,933,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
glad you went to the doc and glad the meds are working. Don't go by the anti-med folks; go by how YOU feel and if it works then take it.
This can not be said two many times !!! Everyone's different, that's why we encourage all to follow the advice of your Medical Professional. Some of the people that come on this thread have serious mental disorders. They should not be seconded guessed , even if the Benzos, including Xanax are seriously addictive. It could be the lesser of two evils, for a lot of people out there. Some disorders can be attacked quickly. Some have a more difficult time getting the correct chemical balance back, can take several years sometimes. Never stop taking what drug that has been scribed without your Doctor's OK and never go cold turkey with any addicting drug like Xanax .

Old 10-01-2012, 09:07 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,547,479 times
You need a counselor of some sorth. Psychologist as oppsed to psychiatrist. Or just a good psychiatrist that doesn't jump to fill out a prescription pad as soon as he/she gets a new patient.

Have you been taught any strategies that don't include medication?

I'm not against medication, but it sounds like you want other means to help you overcome this, and I think that's a really good idea.

Have you tried yoga? I know some folks think it's kind of flaky, but I tried it for a while and it does help with the stress.

You don't have to take a class. You can learn some really simple/basic yoga with a Wii or you can just buy a DVD.

I'm sure there are also some non-yoga related strategies if you aren't open to that idea.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:50 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,563,757 times
I sympathize with anyone who suffers from anxiety as it is a horrible feeling. I find I have situation type anxiety such as when my children are sick or I am having to have medical tests. I just about lose it. Right now for the past week my young child has been suffering from a temperature, cough, etc., we've been to the Dr's, he is on an antiobiotic for 2 days now and I am still in an absolute panic and anxiety. I cannot relax no matter what I do. I've told my Dr. I have these attacks and she put me on zoloft. I am not depressed and I don't have anxiety all of the time. I just wish she would give me something to help control these moments when I have these anxiety attacks. Other than this, I'm very normal and can handle just about any other problem. Good luck to you and I hope by now you've been able to get your anxiety under control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health