U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 09:52 AM

28 posts, read 46,670 times

Advertisements

depression can last for years... I have cycled from mild to moderate to severe depression for decades and also have mild to severe anxiety which can go hand in hand. Also there can be many physical symptoms associated with depression/anxiety like body aches, pains, cramping, numbness, chest pain,
dizziness,etc.

Sadness can result from unhappy events in life........I would say depression is an illness--a "disease entity" that probably has an inherited component......Both my mother and her identical twin sister had it.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 12:14 PM

7,352 posts, read 8,332,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
You have to wonder why some cultures like the American culture has so much more depression than others. I don't think it's brain chemistry as much as not being in harmony with yourself. I also think you can control your brain chemistry at least to some extent.
ive never bought into this brain chemistry business , people get depressed because someone or something shattered their psychological wellbeing , the same way a tree falling on someone,s leg will shatter their legs, unfortunatley a broken soul cannot be healed

Old 09-24-2012, 06:13 PM

947 posts, read 2,164,576 times
Events can cause depression and sadness. Sadness eventually lifts, you can go about your daily business after a few days or a short amount of time. Depression invades your body-you can function with sadness. There needs to be extreme support and encouragement from others to function with depression. Some symptoms of depression include: inability to find pleasure in things that once brought pleasure, sleeping too much or too little, intense irritability, eating too much or too little, inability to make even minor decisions, general feeling of being sick-flu-like symptoms, not bathing or taking care of personal hygience.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:11 PM

7,288 posts, read 11,238,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaloneJill View Post
Events can cause depression and sadness. Sadness eventually lifts, you can go about your daily business after a few days or a short amount of time. Depression invades your body-you can function with sadness. There needs to be extreme support and encouragement from others to function with depression. Some symptoms of depression include: inability to find pleasure in things that once brought pleasure, sleeping too much or too little, intense irritability, eating too much or too little, inability to make even minor decisions, general feeling of being sick-flu-like symptoms, not bathing or taking care of personal hygience.
All symptoms of unprocessed negative feelings.

If you are honest and aware, notice next time you are "depressed" if you feel any anger, rage, disappointment, resentment, grief or fear simmering just under the surface.

Old 09-25-2012, 02:31 AM

3 posts, read 8,251 times
I heard this first time.

Old 09-26-2012, 03:20 AM

13,975 posts, read 26,553,212 times
My, so many questions and in purple, to boot.
Yes, I've read Thomas Moore. When depressed, I've looked at every possible whatever, on the surface, under the surface, you name it. I don't have years of trauma or PTSD. I've worked in psychatric settings for 31 years.
When I said "discredited," I was thinking of the 1970s, when I was most depressed and before I worked in the field, and heard the "anger turned inward" again and again.
After years of holistic and megavitamins and spiritual whatever, 11 days after starting a medication, I felt like someone washed my windows. I felt normal. I had never known what that meant but I felt it.
Depression feels like dead, it's not feeling. At its worst, it feels like physical pain that isn't caused by visible injury. The lack of feeling is like being boiled in oil from the inside out.

I've been around the block a few times, professionally and personally. I resent the whole "Prozac Nation" outlook on mediation and Big Pharm. I think people die from depression/suicide because they buy the idea that anti-depressants numb feelings and are just like taking speed or something.
Sorry I can't answer in purple. I'd like to. It burns me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Please give your sources, re: "long discredited." By whom: The pharmaceutical companies/DSM "disease" designators/psychiatrists whose job it is to supply the drug companies with plenty of customers/other???

Have you read Thomas Moore's Care of the Soul?

Have you looked into the work of transpersonal theorists and practitioners?

When you are depressed, have you inquired within and noticed any unprocessed rage or grief that lies under the surface?

Have you done EFT and released layers and layers of trauma that has accumulated over the years?

Have you tried Trauma Release Exercises (TRE) for PTSD?

Or do you buy into the idea that 9 out of 10 people have "brain chemistry" problems (really? I wonder why that would be) . . . have you bought the Madison Avenue hype that only drugs can solve your problem and "How's that workin' for ya" (and I detest Dr. Phil, but that is a classic line).

So many people who post here are severely depressed AND on meds . . . doesn't seem to be the answer . . .so I was just suggesting to inquire a little deeper into the depression and offering alternative viewpoints.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:21 AM

3,622 posts, read 5,210,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
ive never bought into this brain chemistry business , people get depressed because someone or something shattered their psychological wellbeing , the same way a tree falling on someone,s leg will shatter their legs, unfortunatley a broken soul cannot be healed
I'm feeling like a broken record. My soul is not "broken". I have had a few severe bouts of depression, but I am no longer depressed. If I have a broken soul that "cannot be healed", the fact I have healed flies in the face of that theory, doesn't it? Nobody "shattered my psychological well-being", I am not full of anger. (though this thread now has me wanting to bang my head against a wall).

Honestly, I don't know why I even bother to keep trying to explain. It's wasted effort. Although this thread has been a good one to read experiences of people who have gone through it, it's also been an exercise in frustration. Depression is a deeply personal issue; it's not easy to talk about because of that alone. But add in the folks who don't know you, will never know you, probably will never go through a true depression, telling you what's "really" wrong with you, disregarding so many very well-written posts painting a pretty damned accurate picture of what a depressive episode is like... Nope. We're all just broken people, apparently, so I'll just toss the medication in the trash. The one that brought me back to life.

Even though I did not start this thread, I would like to thank all who have shared their stories.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:28 PM

14,495 posts, read 24,236,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
My, so many questions and in purple, to boot.
Yes, I've read Thomas Moore. When depressed, I've looked at every possible whatever, on the surface, under the surface, you name it. I don't have years of trauma or PTSD. I've worked in psychatric settings for 31 years.
When I said "discredited," I was thinking of the 1970s, when I was most depressed and before I worked in the field, and heard the "anger turned inward" again and again.
After years of holistic and megavitamins and spiritual whatever, 11 days after starting a medication, I felt like someone washed my windows. I felt normal. I had never known what that meant but I felt it.
Depression feels like dead, it's not feeling. At its worst, it feels like physical pain that isn't caused by visible injury. The lack of feeling is like being boiled in oil from the inside out.

I've been around the block a few times, professionally and personally. I resent the whole "Prozac Nation" outlook on mediation and Big Pharm. I think people die from depression/suicide because they buy the idea that anti-depressants numb feelings and are just like taking speed or something.
Sorry I can't answer in purple. I'd like to. It burns me.

Excellent post.

Neurochemistry is complex. And a person touting youtube as a cure as no business doing this. Only an M.D. and certain meds can help. Talk therapy also. Depression is not a case of 'pick yourself up and move on' . Any educated therapist or doctor will tell a patient this.

The major neurobiological changes caused by early life trauma involve 3 major systems in the brain: (1) the HPA axis and the CRF system, (2) the hippocampus, and (3) the noradrenergic system.

Medscape: Medscape Access

Depression Articles

Heres an excellent site with factual info to help you.

Old 10-04-2012, 01:37 PM

750 posts, read 1,098,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neemy View Post
Well said. I also have been diagnosed with episodic severe depression. "Depression" is a misnomer, IMO. Far from being sad. Sadness can be overcome with time, with talking, with diversion. It's not bio-chemical.

When I am severely clinically depressed, I describe it (as I did in another thread here, somewhere) as feeling "numb", "emotionless", "underwater". I can't see past the present, so there's no hope in sight. Life has no color. Sunny days are gray. I have no motivation to do anything I normally would enjoy doing. Getting dressed is a chore. Every little tiny piece of daily minutiae just to continue existing is a chore. Going out is not an option. It's isolating, I don't want to talk to anyone, I don't want to see anyone. I don't answer my phone. I don't answer my door. I don't eat. I don't care about anything, even though the world revolves around me, and nobody else matters. Nothing matters. I don't want to live. I don't want to die. I just want to lie in my bed and stare at my wall. If I am able to cry, for me that's actually a good thing; a sign that I'm "feeling", again.

That's my personal experience of how my mind works when in a clinically depressed state.

I hope you are able to get help for your family member, whether he/she is clinically depressed, or sad.
I can absolutely relate to what you are saying. I laugh when I have learned it is the right time to laugh, I cry when I think I should cry. But these are all simply responses to function in society. I don't feel. I live day to day, numb. I believe I have become in this numb state, as it keeps me from feeling sadness or pain. I have learned that I can't pick and choose to just feel the good feelings, so in order to not feel the depressed, negative ones, I don't feel.

My friend asks me when we have a chance to meet for lunch after a period of not seeing each other, "Did you miss me?" "Yes, of course I missed you" but when I search for the feeling, I do not feel that I missed them. Our emotions guide us in our every day tasks, they help us set long term goals, without desire, excitement, feelings of accomplishments or success, a person is stuck. Nothing matters. I am attempting to do a career change, I have not been able to do it, nothing is interesting, nothing grabs me inside and drives me to get there..

It is very hard to explain. I do experience the depressive cycles also.

Old 10-04-2012, 02:25 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,210,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalPitgal View Post
I can absolutely relate to what you are saying. I laugh when I have learned it is the right time to laugh, I cry when I think I should cry. But these are all simply responses to function in society. I don't feel. I live day to day, numb. I believe I have become in this numb state, as it keeps me from feeling sadness or pain. I have learned that I can't pick and choose to just feel the good feelings, so in order to not feel the depressed, negative ones, I don't feel.

My friend asks me when we have a chance to meet for lunch after a period of not seeing each other, "Did you miss me?" "Yes, of course I missed you" but when I search for the feeling, I do not feel that I missed them. Our emotions guide us in our every day tasks, they help us set long term goals, without desire, excitement, feelings of accomplishments or success, a person is stuck. Nothing matters. I am attempting to do a career change, I have not been able to do it, nothing is interesting, nothing grabs me inside and drives me to get there..

It is very hard to explain. I do experience the depressive cycles also.
Repped. (Though I hit submit too early and forgot to sign )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health