Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 12:27 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelcake4 View Post
Sounds like your situation needs change.
Taking an anti-depressant will only numb your feelings, but it won't change much.

I gently point out that this is a very uneducated statement. Anti-depressants do not "numb feelings." If the rage/irritability is due to a chemical inbalance that creates depression, the anti-depressants (at best) correct the inbalance. It doesn't change the external situation, but it can change how the externals feel and are handled, and maybe give enough energy/balance to address the externals.

People have died from lethal depressions and addictions because of ignorant statements about anti-depressant medications. (Do not get me started on "Prozac Nation").

Best wishes to OP for finding some balance and peace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 04:38 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,525,447 times
Agreed. too many people believe antidedressants keep you 'numb" or, unable to experience your feelings and relate to the world. Not true. For many people, antidepressants allow them to enjoy life again, to not be so irritable and to engage with people. Medications have come a long way. It's unfortunate so many folks avoid treatment for fear of being "numb", or an escape from reality. Still too much stigma and misinformation out there.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:38 AM

49 posts, read 152,333 times
Nothing is wrong with you.. just exhaustion, which is understandable.
Talk therapy may help if you can afford it. Other than that, try to convince yourself that there is nothing wrong with celebrating and doing things alone.
I have been living alone for the past 7 years, and got very used to it. I believe you can too, by just changing the way you're taking it.

Finally,
Get rid of the dog!!

Old 09-22-2012, 11:13 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,920,807 times
You have many issues that need to be addressed. You probably feel overwhelmed because there are so many areas of concern . . .I would start with a few positive changes . . .you and your husband need time to be together, you need to be able to sleep in once in awhile . . .maybe you should investigate getting a new job . . . some major things need to change.

But in the meantime, can you do little things every day that can bring joy - get a special cup of coffee for yourself, get a pedi, a special meal, take a walk . . .there have to be some things you can do to improve your situation . . .the key is to make a list and then do one thing at a time to make the needed changes - and get your husband on board.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:59 AM

74 posts, read 122,661 times
Listen to Aesop Rock.

Old 09-26-2012, 07:29 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Your situation isn't familiar to me but your emotions are. I don't have any advice, but I wanted you to know you're not the only one.

Old 07-14-2013, 07:00 AM

1 posts, read 1,499 times
Default Are you able to judge from the outside?

I see all the response fro people that seem "good hearted" but can't appreciate them. How can you be a tiger in a cage and listen to zoo keepers who seem able to come and go as they please. I can't close my eyes long enough to employ any of these well intended suggestions before I am right back into my mess. I am not a civilian and find it hard to listen to one.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:46 PM

39 posts, read 152,606 times
I am not going to say you are suffering form any mental disorder. It sounds like you just need a break. A little vacation with just you and your hubby. There have been times when I have felt the same way. Everything pissed me off!! I have a five year old and 8 animals. I am always on the go and my daughter is always asking for stuff and wanting my attention. Even when I am driving!!! My love life. HA that's a joke. I am with the man I love but we are not together. We were for four years then split for a little less then a year. Now we live back together but are not together officially. I have found that I was pissed so much because I never had anytime to myself not even to sit for a min! I don't even have privacy in the bathroom!! It is important to take care of yourself. So you are healthy for your family. Everyone needs a break and a little time to their self.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:02 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,759,049 times
Three years old is a rough age. I swore mine wouldn't make it to 4. I have a set of twins in my mix here as well.

Holidays- have the families come to you. Don't go to them. That way your daughter can just sit tight and enjoy her goodies, you have help with her and you're not alone.

My husband and I worked opposite shifts for 10 years. It was best for the kids so they could not be chucked in day care all the time and gave him time alone with them.

Discipline and bedtime is key for a child that age. It needs to be early and consistent. Have her "help" you around the house. Who cares if it's not perfect. This will engage her and you can spend some time teaching the right ways instead of being overwhelmed that things aren't getting done.
Get a bedtime routine going- early. That will give you some quiet time

Old 04-06-2014, 01:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,226 times
Stingy people hu u hav always backd jus chuk bak in ur face wich pisses me off to the max that I cud take drugs and fail in life on purpose
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health