Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 03:41 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Google sundowning, it's associated with dementia.
Ahem. Dementia "sundowning" has absolutely nothing to do with the sadness that the OP referred to. Sundowning refers to the fact that many people with dementia have more confusion, fear, combativeness, etc. (more symptoms of their brain disease) at night than during the day, and often reconstitute somewhat by morning. It has *nothing* to do with what the OP is talking about.

I speak from a professional standpoint. As I type, I'm working night shift on a dementia service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2019, 08:03 AM

1 posts, read 518 times
I had it when I was a kid, so I'm sure it's not necessarily related to Alzheimer's or senility. It went away as I grew older, but it comes back sometimes, depending on where I am and my overall mood. Right now we've just moved house and I'm stressed and pretty unhappy overall - I'm really feeling the dusk...

Old 02-03-2019, 02:08 PM

5,536 posts, read 7,111,240 times
I've had this 'sad-sundown' after extended movie viewing on the big projection screen. It can be intense, I feel like crawling around bawling sometimes. If I go for an evening walk or work on a household project at a desk the sundown depression is [almost] completely absent.

My ophthalmologist confirmed my suspicion, it's bright bluish light that may disrupt circadian rhythm.

It's artificial depression.

I compensate/cheat by changing the color temperature of the projector, away from blue. Most modern displays have this adjustment in the menus somewhere.

I still feel nasty when I wake at 3AM to tinkle and when arising but this probably due to my extreme caffeine addiction. I feel better almost instantly after my 7-bags-of-tea-in-the-huge-mug fix.

Last edited by Tantalust; 02-03-2019 at 02:08 PM.. Reason: I forget

Old 02-03-2019, 02:32 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
That's what occurred to me when the thread was revived. An upset with your daily circadian rhythm and/or lighting.

Old 03-03-2019, 04:51 PM

1 posts, read 444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
for real?? I'm not gonna google it but if that's true it's very surprising.
Sundown symptoms are associated with people suffering from Alzheimer's disease or dementia. It should be treated with medication (Seroquel, Lorazepam (Ativan)). Not only the drugs can help the affected person to be more peaceful and not agitated, but it is also easier for the caregivers to take care of their loved ones or patients.

Also, because each person is different, different doses are used for different patients.

Old 03-04-2019, 06:00 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunshine711 View Post
Sundown symptoms are associated with people suffering from Alzheimer's disease or dementia. It should be treated with medication (Seroquel, Lorazepam (Ativan)). Not only the drugs can help the affected person to be more peaceful and not agitated, but it is also easier for the caregivers to take care of their loved ones or patients.

Also, because each person is different, different doses are used for different patients.
As was clarified a couple of times in the thread, Alzheimer's-related "sundown effect" has nothing to do with the OP's problem. It is best to read the entire thread before making suggestions.

Old 03-10-2019, 05:42 PM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,154,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
There are two things I can think of that could be helpful - one is EFT (YouTube - I like Brad Yates) and the other is TRE (also YouTube).

EFT is Emotional Freedom Technique - tapping on acupressure meridians - I think it could be easy and very useful for this problem.

TRE is Trauma Release Excercises (also easy and addresses PTSD trauma that is trapped in the body).

Sounds like more eastern medicine BS. Just my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health