U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2012, 05:16 AM

5,660 posts, read 4,499,099 times

Advertisements

I'd like to start by saying that I have no idea how much of the information in this article is old news as I have no idea how much of this research is public knowledge in the US. So if it's just a rehash of what people already know I appologise.

I feel this is one of the better articles I have read in recent times and I thought it worth sharing.

Can MDMA help to cure depression? | Society | The Observer
Quote:
The patient sits on a hospital gurney. The doctor asks how she feels, takes her blood pressure and gives her a capsule to swallow. She is then led to a brain scanner that resembles a giant washing machine, and she lies in front of it before it sucks her in. Doctors study a series of vivid images of her head and brain, looking for activity before she is allowed to leave the scanner. The patient is asked who she would like to have with her at this moment. She replies: "My husband."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 08:39 AM

3,841 posts, read 3,919,254 times
I experimented with Estacy once in my younger years - 1999, to be exact, and found the experience whilst under the effect of the drug very fun and pleasurable (save for dry mouth and uncontrollable urge to grind my teeth), it was the period afterwards that made me resolve to never try it again.

I felt hungover for about a week - slow and sluggish, with sleep disturbances, alterations in my thinking (I felt slow, had difficulty at times in forming coherent sentences, losing words, experiencing pauses in conversations as I tried to find the correct or lost my train of thought).

I certainly experienced a lot of these adverse effects:

MDMA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"A slang term given to the depressive period following MDMA consumption is Tuesday Blues (or "Suicide Tuesday"), referring to the low mood that can be experienced midweek by depleted serotonin levels following weekend MDMA use. Some users report that consuming 5-HTP, L-Tryptophan and vitamins the day after use can reduce the depressive effect by replenishing serotonin levels (magnesium supplements are also used prior to or during use).[36]"

Old 09-26-2012, 03:44 AM

13,965 posts, read 26,541,848 times
Doubt it.
In the 1960s, researchers were giving LSD to alcoholics and so forth. Now, the hallucinogenic experience might be fascinating or terrifying or somewhere else or in-between, but it does not treat depression.

Old 09-26-2012, 03:33 PM

13,049 posts, read 16,087,687 times
very interesting Baldrick, hopefully it will prove to be a help to those in need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health