U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 10:41 AM

824 posts, read 1,550,908 times

Advertisements

I aways suspected that I have a mild form of Asperger (though never went to the doctor to ask). In many occasions I feel ankward in social gatherings, I go obsessed with any subject very easily, it's like having pop up images in your head all the time.

Then when I was a teen I felt uncomfortable when I looked someone in the eye, as if I was creating a lot of tension. Then I am a bit clumsy always dropping stuff. And I got problems listening to what people say, and I am not very good in the empathy department.

For what I've read, all this stuff suggests Asperger's.

But the thing is that this behavior hits me harder during certain periods of time, when I smoke or drink too much, or I got stress, or when some new dramatic event happens. But when I quit smoking, caffeine, and do regular exercise and feel relaxed this stuff tends to decrease, for months, even years ...(but never dissapears completely)

So I guess I got an intermitent type of Asperger's. As anyone heard similar stories before? Any advise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 07:37 PM

18,247 posts, read 18,843,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier77 View Post

I aways suspected that I have a mild form of Asperger (though never went to the doctor to ask). In many occasions I feel ankward in social gatherings, I go obsessed with any subject very easily, it's like having pop up images in your head all the time.

Then when I was a teen I felt uncomfortable when I looked someone in the eye, as if I was creating a lot of tension. Then I am a bit clumsy always dropping stuff. And I got problems listening to what people say, and I am not very good in the empathy department.

For what I've read, all this stuff suggests Asperger's.

But the thing is that this behavior hits me harder during certain periods of time, when I smoke or drink too much, or I got stress, or when some new dramatic event happens. But when I quit smoking, caffeine, and do regular exercise and feel relaxed this stuff tends to decrease, for months, even years ...(but never dissapears completely)

So I guess I got an intermitent type of Asperger's. As anyone heard similar stories before? Any advise?
I've never heard of "intermitent" Aspergers but I'm not surprised that your symptoms are worse when you are stressed or when something new or dramatic happens to you.

It is likely that you have very, very mild Aspergers or just have some Aspergers tendencies. Or have learned to adapt or compensate for your problem areas.

Good luck to you.

Old 09-24-2012, 02:39 AM

16,482 posts, read 21,697,929 times
My guess is you do not have Aspergers. Aspergers doesn't come and go like that.

Old 09-26-2012, 01:19 PM

3,572 posts, read 6,730,392 times
Do you maybe have ADD?

Old 09-27-2012, 02:25 PM

13,051 posts, read 16,100,841 times
Javier77...you don't sound like you're any different than a lot of other people out there....of course stress, poor eating, and drinking and drugging will increase any anxieties you have, but then they would for anyone..If you really want a "diagnosis" for what you think is wrong, I'm sure some Doctor will be happy to label you, and prescribe some mind altering drugs to have you feeling you're more "normal" than you already are.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:24 AM

396 posts, read 748,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
I beg to differ, it's much the same for me.

By the sounds of it, you still have it, your just not aware of it until certain times.

Also aspergers is a sensory integration issue. It's nothing more than this. Regular people intergrate information automatically. We have a manual transmission we need to learn to shift gears as we mature. This doesn't mean we have a disability,It simply means that our educational needs are different, just as someone that is taught how to drive a manual transmission versus an automatic, have different needs. For us to take in emotions, walk, talk, think, we have to shift gears. This isn't a bad thing, and in many ways I think it can be quite beneficial. However this does require constant effort and attention, because there is nothing doing our gear shifting for us. So it should come to no surprise, when your mentally tired, your ability to shift gears really suffers and it shows.

Old 12-29-2012, 07:07 AM

3,605 posts, read 5,328,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikmaq32 View Post

By the sounds of it, you still have it, your just not aware of it until certain times.

Also aspergers is a sensory integration issue. It's nothing more than this. Regular people intergrate information automatically. We have a manual transmission we need to learn to shift gears as we mature. This doesn't mean we have a disability,It simply means that our educational needs are different, just as someone that is taught how to drive a manual transmission versus an automatic, have different needs. For us to take in emotions, walk, talk, think, we have to shift gears. This isn't a bad thing, and in many ways I think it can be quite beneficial. However this does require constant effort and attention, because there is nothing doing our gear shifting for us. So it should come to no surprise, when your mentally tired, your ability to shift gears really suffers and it shows.
I like your analogy.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:23 AM

507 posts, read 1,378,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikmaq32 View Post

My husband has Aspergers. I just wanted to say what a great analogy you have posted!

Old 01-02-2013, 02:38 PM

3,572 posts, read 6,730,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
Do you maybe have ADD?
I just re-read this thread, had forgotten I posted this^, and had the same very thought.

A psychiatrist is needed.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:45 PM

8,712 posts, read 10,296,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
No it doesn't and I wish these alot of these people would get officially evaluated by a neurologist or psychiatrist instead of throwing themselves onto the autism spectrum, it just invalidates to the public the entire diagnosis for many others. Anyone that's actually on it, will tell you there's nothing fun about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health