U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 01:07 PM

3,093 posts, read 4,373,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewelyn View Post
That's strange, I've always felt the opposite. I felt the face is what you're stuck with and the body is alterable.

This is what annoys me when women are telling us that "oh it's not the hot body, a good face gets me every time". Well a good face is winning the genetics lottery, at least with a body exercise and diet exists.

You're right if you're talking about normal to within normal ranges. Everyone doesn't have a body that is within reason to be fixed. However, with modern technology almost anything can be changed in the face. Nose, forehead, chin, teeth, lips, complete jawline, cheekbones, etc. If you have enough money, than there is almost nothing that can't be fixed today in the face. Now the body, you have to have some semblence of normalcy to work with.

Take a five hundred pound man. Yes, you can give him lipo suction etc, but he's still left with rolls of fat that just hang down. Take someone like the one I added to my first post. someone who is so rediculously out of balance that all the exercise and surgeries in the world couldn't possibly make them attractive. I wish I had a picture of the women I saw the other day and you would probably understand better where I am coming from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 01:21 PM

33,125 posts, read 62,014,839 times
Until you can find the resources to correct your jaw misalignment, smile and look people directly in the eye. That will help take everyone's mind -- including yours -- off the issue. It'll be hard, until you get into the habit.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:29 PM

924 posts, read 1,429,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Until you can find the resources to correct your jaw misalignment, smile and look people directly in the eye. That will help take everyone's mind -- including yours -- off the issue. It'll be hard, until you get into the habit.
You're right, it couldn't hurt developing some confidence before I get around to this. And maintaining eye contact is one of my biggest weaknesses, but I feel it's creepy to look strangers directly in the eye.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:33 PM

17,738 posts, read 37,366,816 times
Quote:
Oh look, a thread about physical appearances was moved to the mental health forum, it's good to know the mods think I'm a headcase.
I'm not the mod who moved it, but what you are asking about (lack of self confidence, depression) is a psychological response (and not an unusual one, many of us have been there!) to a physical issue (appearance due to jaw malalignment). How one feels about one's appearance is a mental issue, not a physical one. No one is saying you are a "head case", and you're getting some helpful suggestions on how to deal with the issue. Looking forward to updates about what the surgeon has to say.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I'm not the mod who moved it, but what you are asking about (lack of self confidence, depression) is a psychological response (and not an unusual one, many of us have been there!) to a physical issue (appearance due to jaw malalignment). How one feels about one's appearance is a mental issue, not a physical one. No one is saying you are a "head case".
You make a good point, I'm not asking about how to alter my physical appearance as much as I am my state of mind, so I guess the move makes sense.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:46 PM

33,125 posts, read 62,014,839 times
Quote:
You're right, it couldn't hurt developing some confidence before I get around to this. And maintaining eye contact is one of my biggest weaknesses, but I feel it's creepy to look strangers directly in the eye.
Most people feel it's creepy not to, as long as you're not staring.

At work we use this website frequently to help people build conversational skills as part of our leadership training; perhaps it will help you.

The Importance of Eye Contact | Conversation Aid

The author isn't trying to sell expensive books or crystals or psychological mumbo jumbo, although he does provide links to such things. Just don't click on the "reviews" tab if you don't want to go there ...

Once you start conversing with and engaging people, it will come easier for you. When you look someone in the eye and smile, and they respond, that will help you build your self-confidence.

Best wishes to you!

Old 09-24-2012, 06:13 PM

14,747 posts, read 29,484,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
And what exactly is so ugly about you? Maybe you can work on that...
People can get corrective surgeries if the physical imperfections affect their daily life, including mental health.
True. While the people I know who did corrective surgeries were high-functioning, they did it for career advancement. I knew both a guy and a girl from college who had both a nose job and a chin implant done simultaneously. For some reason, this combination often shows up together. The girl also had a 3rd procedure, aimed to reduced the gummy look of her mouth, especially when smiling.

At any rate, both of these people became attorneys and went on to seemingly happy marriages.

Old 09-24-2012, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
True. While the people I know who did corrective surgeries were high-functioning, they did it for career advancement. I knew both a guy and a girl from college who had both a nose job and a chin implant done simultaneously. For some reason, this combination often shows up together. The girl also had a 3rd procedure, aimed to reduced the gummy look of her mouth, especially when smiling.

At any rate, both of these people became attorneys and went on to seemingly happy marriages.
The surgery for a gummy smile is a legit operation. That is a maxillary impaction, and is frequently a result of mouth breathing and can cause sleep apnea and other issues. I don't want anything enhanced like a nose job or anything like that, I just want my jaw to look the way it should have, had it developed properly

Old 09-24-2012, 06:31 PM

4,004 posts, read 5,465,958 times
Well hang on what's the question again?

Is OP ugly or not?

Am I getting Alzheimers?

I just can't seem to understand half of this chit.

I'll ring up my ex hub and ask him how he stands to look in the mirror every day. He's the ugliest person I know, both inside and out.

Old 09-24-2012, 06:32 PM

4,004 posts, read 5,465,958 times
Ok I just caught a bit about chin surgery.

I know a girl who got her jaw broken and extended to improve her bite, her looks, her blah blah.

She said, NEVER AGAIN. Very slight improvement for months of agony and not being able to eat.

Some arse would have to pay ME to cut me up, not the other way round.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or