U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 12:44 AM

7,288 posts, read 11,250,882 times

Advertisements

Probably 6 out of 10 people are naturally "unattractive," but thankfully, most people appear to have developed character and interests other than their looks . . . just go into any hospital and talk to the workers . . . many are unattractive, but pleasant . . . some of the most physically unattractive people you see on a daily basis, might be amazingly interesting people.

As a general rule, it seems the posters on the Relationship forum are uncommonly shallow.

If you don't have looks, develop other traits and stop obsessing about what you lack. No one is perfect. You are wasting your time in meaningless pursuit of what you can't have - not helpful or productive.

Volunteer - do something good - take the focus off of your self and your pity party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 05:30 AM

924 posts, read 1,429,278 times
I know it, but if I'm lacking in looks, to a degree I already have to overcompensate in confidence or something that will even get people's attention. At the moment I don't think my confidence is nearly high enough to pull it off.

As for boyish looks, I'm not too concerned about being young looking and even consider it a good thing in ways. My dad is young looking so I doubt the look will be going away whether I get the surgery or not, and I'm okay with it.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:13 AM

3,185 posts, read 4,189,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewelyn View Post
I know it, but if I'm lacking in looks, to a degree I already have to overcompensate in confidence or something that will even get people's attention. At the moment I don't think my confidence is nearly high enough to pull it off.

As for boyish looks, I'm not too concerned about being young looking and even consider it a good thing in ways. My dad is young looking so I doubt the look will be going away whether I get the surgery or not, and I'm okay with it.
Putting excessive effort into worrying what others think about you superficially is the first and oftentimes only step to becoming unattractive.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:47 AM

74,995 posts, read 87,429,162 times
Quote:
Now I may not be as ugly as I claim and this may partially be due to the depression, but I've had enough validation in life to know for a fact I'm on the lower end of the spectrum.

I've also narrowed it down as a jaw issue that's given my face a certain shape (and surgeries exist to correc this jaw issue, it's not plastic surgery either), so it most certainly isn't all in my head, even if the depression is amplifying the magnitude of it.
the most attractive people on earth have parts of them that could physically be improved on.. Like others have said, you might want to consider getting help for your depression, at least find a self help group that you could identify with. I have seen ugly people who are wonderful, lead normal lives, marry, if they want, have kids, etc. The important thing is to work on what you do well. We all have something we are a little better at than other people. It might be an outgoing personality, cooking, art, sports, whatever. But there is something that will make you just a tab above the others. I look at myself, I am not raving beauty, I wasn't when I was a kid or a young adult, no, I am not ugly, but I am not a Mrs America either. Most of us are not. If you can't correct the defect as you see it, learn to accent the good qualities. Maybe you have a great body, or nice eyes or nice hair...Work of those features and people will see a new you.

Nita

Old 09-27-2012, 09:51 AM

6,118 posts, read 8,714,326 times
The thing is that life just isn't fair. Some people just aren't good looking and they never will be. They can shower and brush their teeth and dress nice and try to lead a healthy lifestyle but they will never be considered attractive in the way some people are. It sucks because attractive people definitely have advantages over unattractive ones, but what can you do? Do the best with what you have or live a long miserable life being unhappy about something you can't really change. You don't have to beautiful to live a happy life.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:13 AM

924 posts, read 1,429,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
Putting excessive effort into worrying what others think about you superficially is the first and oftentimes only step to becoming unattractive.
I know, but people keep bringing up about how unattractive people are 'some of the most amazing and interesting people'. I don't know if I qualify lol.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:58 AM

132 posts, read 145,781 times
Stop with the victim blaming. Perhaps if people were more accepting of others and less cruel, do called unattractive or ugly people wouldn't feel miserable or feel the need to get expensive and painful surgery.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:45 PM

4,762 posts, read 11,692,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
...attractive people definitely have advantages over unattractive ones...
Actually there are advantages and disadvantages to everything!

Think about what it would actually be like to be a perfect 10...

Say you could get a date with anyone you choose to - easily get a date. Well there goes all your dreams and fantasies! You have dated everyone you wanted to, there is no one left to go after. The "mystery" is gone!

That is like being filthy rich and being able to buy anything you want. Fun at first, then it gets boring. Nothing left to work towards, save up for, or dream about having.

Or playing games like on a team. You win #1. Now what do you do? Nowhere left to go!

Personally I think life is better being "not so perfect"!

Old 09-27-2012, 07:02 PM

26 posts, read 42,203 times
Quote:
How do unattractive people hold their head up?
With their neck.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:18 PM

9,958 posts, read 16,575,057 times
Most unattractive people hold their heads up just like the beauties do---with their necks! It usually happens when you stand tall
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or