Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 12:34 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,307,609 times

Advertisements

Orthognathic surgery to correct congenital jaw misalignment is NOT cosmetic, and can be paid for by insurance. Get yourself to a good maxillofacial surgeon who can present it to an insurance carrier as necessary for continued proper function/occlusion of the jaws/teeth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 12:36 PM

924 posts, read 1,640,198 times
The costs can vary wildly cause the surgery is pretty fickle. It could be your lower jaw, or your upper or both if need be.

I'm waiting on my mom to schedule an appointment with a surgeon to get a better idea of what's expected, but with no incoming coming in, I'll have to hold off on it if insurance doesn't cover it until I've graduated. I did talk to an orthodontist and brought it up with him, he thought it was a good idea I should go see one.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:37 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,088,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Please, please, get some help for that depression - there is no reason to live like this!

What you "feel" about yourself is making you unattractive, not the other way around.

I agree very strongly here. Also remember we see ourselves differently then others see us much of the time. If you want to make positive changes that you feel will build your confidence, Do so. Like trying a new hairstyle, clothing or starting a fitness program. Remember feeling negative all the time will become a permanent mindset if you do nothing to break it. No reason to live like that, As mountains said above.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfunkle524 View Post
neck muscles. It's all about the neck muscles.
yeah...

Old 09-24-2012, 12:43 PM

I don't think it's social phobia or anything like that that other's were suggesting. Depression seems most likely. There was a time where I was social, went to parties, and had a good time. I still didn't talk to women cause I knew as much then as I know now that I'm not attractive, but I was happier then for some reason.

By the way my jaw problem has given me a very boyish face, like people have mistaken me for 15 years old, and I'm a 20 year old college student. Girls would probably feel like they're dating a high school freshman.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:44 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,088,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewelyn View Post
yeah...
How do you build neck muscles???

Old 09-24-2012, 12:48 PM

Oh look, a thread about physical appearances was moved to the mental health forum, it's good to know the mods think I'm a headcase.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:49 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,139,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
Even the ugliest of people can be hot if they take care of themselves. By that I mean, exercising and eating right, showering and dressing nice. There are things you can do to improve your self esteem, you just have to want it bad enough.

I have been hearing this for years now and I want to believe it, but something in my gut just says umm no! This I don't believe to be true. That's just my opinion. Some people are so ugly that it doesn't matter what they do, they will never be attractive. Does that mean that they will never find someone who will be with them? Of course not, even ugly people find other ugly people.

But unless you mean surgery and I mean severe surgery at that, then I don't believe what you said to be true. Let's not turn this into some psycho babble beauty on the inside sh t. We're talking strictly aesthetic beauty. Some people are just born with bodies that are so awful that all the working out in the world isn't going to do much good. But if you mean face, I'd almost have to agree, but not by the ways in which you have described. With all the surgeries out there for the face (you can practically change everything about someone now) then yes, you can change things in the face. You would have to take drastic messures and have an awful lot of money, but I suppose that is very possible with the technology that we have today. But once again, when it comes to the body, that's something that's entirely different. There's too much to a whole body to fix that would truly make someone with a downright hideous frame to fix. Even some such surgeries leave so much still to be desired. Example, can you fix kankles? Yes you can have lipo, but what about the after effects of the fat that hangs down? What about bodies that are so disproportioned that you would basically have to break them down to bone, roll away all skin/ cellls etc and start from scratch. It's my understanding that we haven't gotten to that point yet. Science can only fix so much when it comes to the body. Face that's different like I already stated. That's just my opinion on the matter.

Case in point. I saw a girl the other day, must be early thirties. Hunchbacked. Gut sticking out about a foot from where it should. To make things worse, she had these ultra skinny ankles like the size of someones arm. good luck fixing that.

Sorry so long

Smp

Last edited by supermanpansy; 09-24-2012 at 01:03 PM..

Old 09-24-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
I have been hearing this for years now and I want to believe it, but something in my gut just says umm no! This I don't believe to be true. That's just my opinion. Some people are so ugly that it doesn't matter what they do, they will never be attractive. Does that mean that they will never find someone who will be with them? Of course not, even ugly people find other ugly people.

But unless you mean surgery and I mean severe surgery at that, then I don't believe what you said to be true. Let's not turn this into some psycho babble beauty on the inside sh t. We're talking strictly aesthetic beauty. Some people are just born with bodies that are so awful that all the working out in the world isn't going to do much good. But if you mean face, I'd almost have to agree, but not by the ways in which you have described. With all the surgeries out there for the face (you can practically change everything about someone now) then yes, you can change things in the face. You would have to take drastic messures and have an awful lot of money, but I suppose that is very possible with the technology that we have today. But once again, when it comes to the body, that's something that's entirely different. There's too much to a whole body to fix that would truly make someone with a downright hideous frame to fix. Even some such surgeries leave so much still to be desired. Example, can you fix kankles? Yes you can have lipo, but what about the after effects of the fat that hangs down? What about bodies that are so disproportioned that you would basically have to break them down to bone, roll away all skin/ cellls etc and start from scratch. It's my understanding that we haven't gotten to that point yet. Science can only fix so much when it comes to the body. Face that's different like I already stated. That's just my opinion on the matter.

Sorry so long

Smp
That's strange, I've always felt the opposite. I felt the face is what you're stuck with and the body is alterable.

This is what annoys me when women are telling us that "oh it's not the hot body, a good face gets me every time". Well a good face is winning the genetics lottery, at least with a body exercise and diet exists.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:58 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,835,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
How do you build neck muscles???
Neck Exercises & Neck Workouts

I prefer the more natural way of getting as smart as you possibly can. Fill your brain with knowledge and it will get super heavy.

sorry some of my posts today are really weird...I must need more coffee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health